Windows 10: Took ownership of entire C:/ drive, will switching it back to TrustedInstaller fix it?

Discus and support Took ownership of entire C:/ drive, will switching it back to TrustedInstaller fix it? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; submitted by /u/Whyisnthillaryinjail [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Whyisnthillaryinjail, May 19, 2020.

1. Took ownership of entire C:/ drive, will switching it back to TrustedInstaller fix it?

/u/Whyisnthillaryinjail, May 19, 2020
  2. annaleyah Win User

Took Ownership over C Drive

So I did something stupid and now my computer isn't running properly. Ever since I took ownership of the C Drive it takes over an hour, almost two, to boot up. Luckily for me this is the only problem I have noticed.
    I cannot revert back to original ownership (Trusted Installer) but I'm wondering if I do a clean reset and reinstall Windows 10? Any advice to how I can revert my C drive if that doesn't work?

annaleyah, May 19, 2020
  3. Gino Des Win User
    Changed Ownership of C:\ and Can't Fix

Hi Greg,

Let's get this issue sorted. To better assist you with this concern, we would like to know the following information:

• Which account is the new owner of the C drive?
    • Are you using an account with administrator rights?
    • Have you tried changing the ownership back to yourself?

In the meantime, let's try taking back the ownership by following the steps provided by
    BurrWalnut in the following thread:
    Is there a way to take ownership of my C drive?

You may also perform a repair upgrade using a
    Creators Update ISO
    file. This method can repair broken operating system files while preserving your files, settings and installed applications. For more information and steps on how to perform a repair upgrade, kindly refer to the wiki article created
    by Andre Da Costa on the following link:
    How to perform a repair upgrade using the Windows 10 ISO file

Keep us updated on the status of the issue, and we will be glad to assist you further.

Gino Des, May 19, 2020
  4. Took ownership of entire C:/ drive, will switching it back to TrustedInstaller fix it?

Can I erase taking ownership of C drive?

I got a brand new Lenovo Miix from the store, but when I went through the regular set-up and installation of Windows 10 some of the Microsoft apps would not work (mainly Skype and the App Store). It would open for a millisecond and then nothing happened.

After some Googling I saw that taking ownership of my C drive (changing ownership from TrustedInstaller to my profile) could fix this. Quickly I realized this was a dumb decision. The desktop would appear normal but no text would appear when I opened the
    start menu and none of the apps worked. I restarted the computer but that made matters worse.

After all this I attempted to do a clean install, but at every stage of the set up (when Cortana introduces itself and walks you through), the message "something went wrong" appeared. I click "skip this step" for every stage until I can connect to a wifi
    network, but after connecting the message still appears and I can't work around it to get to the desktop.

Is there any way I can give C drive ownership back to TrustedInstaller? Or is the root of the problem something else?

MeghanBaxley, May 19, 2020
Thema:

Took ownership of entire C:/ drive, will switching it back to TrustedInstaller fix it?

1. Took ownership of entire C:/ drive, will switching it back to TrustedInstaller fix it? - Similar Threads - Took ownership entire

2. I give thw ownership of drive C to myself instead of trustedinstaller

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I give thw ownership of drive C to myself instead of trustedinstaller: i just miss clicked and just give ownership of local disk c to myself and not trustedinstaller or something and now my pc is janky AF is there anything i can do. i already tried with reseting it to factory reset using brand new option but it didnt work. i have brute force...
  3. I give thw ownership of drive C to myself instead of trustedinstaller

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I give thw ownership of drive C to myself instead of trustedinstaller: i just miss clicked and just give ownership of local disk c to myself and not trustedinstaller or something and now my pc is janky AF is there anything i can do. i already tried with reseting it to factory reset using brand new option but it didnt work. i have brute force...
  4. I give thw ownership of drive C to myself instead of trustedinstaller

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Changing folder ownership TrustedInstaller

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing folder ownership TrustedInstaller: [ATTACH] Hi, I'm trying to uninstall windows defender as its bloating my pc and causing memory leaks, but task manager wont let me even close the program access denied My next thought was to delete the Windows Defender folder in my C: drive, but I need permission from...
  6. Override TrustedInstaller ownership...?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Override TrustedInstaller ownership...?: Hi, Before Windows update, I disabled Cortana by entering "AllowCortana" with value '0' in Registry then renaming the Cortana folder in SystemApps. When doing the update I forgot the renaming of the folder, so now got two Cortana folders in SystemApps. I have tried to get...
  7. Restoring TrustedInstaller ownership

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring TrustedInstaller ownership: Long story short, I messed with the ownership of some system files and now Windows won’t boot. SFC and dism both fail. Safe mode won’t boot either. The only thing I can access is the command prompt on the automatic repair screen. Is there any way to restore the...
  8. Howto Restore the ownership of jscript.dll to the TrustedInstaller?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Howto Restore the ownership of jscript.dll to the TrustedInstaller?: Hi! I took the advice from the Trendmicro which they posted on 20th of January to prevent anyone abusing the IE vulnerability CVE-2020-0674. This is what I typed in as an adminstrator in a Powershell window: takeown /f c:\windows\syswow64\jscript.dll cacls...
  9. Limit Ownership to Drive C

in Windows 10 Support
    Limit Ownership to Drive C: Hi, Is there a way to prevent Windows from taking Ownership of External Drives, and other Partition other than C: ? Thank you. 58095
  10. Took Ownership over C Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Took Ownership over C Drive: So I did something stupid and now my computer isn't running properly. Ever since I took ownership of the C Drive it takes over an hour, almost two, to boot up. Luckily for me this is the only problem I have noticed. I cannot revert back to original ownership (Trusted...