Windows 10: Toolbar Icons too big, makes the taskbar taller

Discus and support Toolbar Icons too big, makes the taskbar taller in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I wanted a fast and clean way to switch between playback devices so I found "NirCmd" and decided to use it for what I want to accomplish. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Chrisandrus, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Toolbar Icons too big, makes the taskbar taller

Hi, I wanted a fast and clean way to switch between playback devices so I found "NirCmd" and decided to use it for what I want to accomplish.

I created the necessary shortcuts with for example the command "setdefaultsounddevice Speakers", then I created Icons using images of my real speakers and headset.

First I placed these shortcuts in the taskbar, but wasn't satisfied with how it looked. I created a new toolbar for the folder in which I have the Shortcuts. Then for the toolbar settings I unticked "Show Text" and then chose View>Large Icons and locked the taskbar.

What the large icons in the toolbars do is stretch out the taskbar leaving a little gap below my normal taskbar program, which makes it look weird and makes me accidentally miss the all the time.

Here are two images showing before and after. What do you think is causing this? Will it be changed in the future do you think? I don't see why the Toolbar icons should take more space even if the icons themselves are the same or even smaller in size.

Toolbar Icons too big, makes the taskbar taller 77608844-8d37-48c8-ae42-3274af8a36b4?upload=true.png

Toolbar Icons too big, makes the taskbar taller 1a90cc38-01c0-4825-87ca-e5f736a838fc?upload=true.png

Thank you in advance!

:)

Chrisandrus, Mar 4, 2020

2. Toolbar in taskbar not fitting two rows

After a windows update my custom toolbar in the taskbar no longer spans over two rows.

I have a two line taskbar with small icons resulting in two rows of icons for my open appliactions. But the toolbar (also with small icons) just occupies one row instead of the two available with dead space below. I could just make the taskbar even taller
    to make all icons fit, but that would cover too much of the screen to be practical.

Toolbar Icons too big, makes the taskbar taller a6ad5fcc-8b2b-4060-bf4e-a949e61952c3?upload=true.png

Anyone know why this is happening or how to fix it?

Unique names are so 90s come on MS, Mar 4, 2020
  3. Taskbar changes height when toolbars have icons set to "Large"

There has been an issue with the Windows taskbar which drives me crazy. It has been a problem since Windows XP and the "skinning" of the underlying user interface controls. It still persists in Windows 10.

When using a Toolbar on the Taskbar and the icon size is set to "small", the clickable targets are smaller than the vertical height of the taskbar. No problem, right? Either make the taskbar icon set to "small" as well and the clickable target area matches.

But what if I like the large buttons to click on? Setting the Toolbar (not taskbar!) icons to Large causes the taskbar vertical height to increase. This is fine for the Toolbar, but the application icons in the Taskbar now have an unclickable space beneath
    them. See image below (not my image... found online when trying to find a solution to this.)

Toolbar Icons too big, makes the taskbar taller 6f777bb5-ca6a-4272-baa3-52616c5b675b.png

This doesn't happen in Windows 7 when using the "Windows Classic" scheme... so the problem must derive from the Aero skinning of the taskbar.

To recreate:

• Right click on the taskbar and Unlock it.
    • Ensure taskbar is set to "large icons" mode from Taskbar properties dialog box.
    • Right click an empty area of the taskbar and create a new Toolbar.
    • Right click on the label of the toolbar and choose View > Large Icons
    This wouldn't necessarily be an issue if the clickable region of the Application Icons was the full vertical height of the visible taskbar. It also wouldn't be an issue if the Toolbar "Large Icons" setting didn't have icons bigger than the Application Icons.

If there is a registry hack or other solution PLEASE let me know! I have had this problem with Toolbars since Windows XP, and the Toolbars are essential to my workflow.

Thanks!

spiffyfitz, Mar 4, 2020
  4. Yaqub K Win User

Toolbar Icons too big, makes the taskbar taller

System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Mar 4, 2020
Thema:

Toolbar Icons too big, makes the taskbar taller

1. Toolbar Icons too big, makes the taskbar taller - Similar Threads - Toolbar Icons too

2. Win 10 Toolbar Icons Too Big...Again....and Again...and Again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 Toolbar Icons Too Big...Again....and Again...and Again: Over 3 years ago, ago I reported an issue with toolbar icons being too large:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enlarged-toolbar-icons-on-the-external-monitor/7c225271-ba9f-4023-9f02-fdeb0688f28cAfter changing companies, one morning in Nov 2021 I saw the...
  3. Win 10 Toolbar Icons Too Big...Again....and Again...and Again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 Toolbar Icons Too Big...Again....and Again...and Again: Over 3 years ago, ago I reported an issue with toolbar icons being too large:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enlarged-toolbar-icons-on-the-external-monitor/7c225271-ba9f-4023-9f02-fdeb0688f28cAfter changing companies, one morning in Nov 2021 I saw the...
  4. Win 10 Toolbar Icons Too Big...Again....and Again...and Again

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Taskbar Icons too big and other problems.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar Icons too big and other problems.: Hi, when I had installed Windows 10 on my Computer My taskbar icons were HUGE. Here is the screenshot,for u guys it may not look like its big, but in my screen its huge, and when i try to record my cursor looks like as if it was recorded in 720p, and my display is 1080p with...
  6. Taskbar Icons too big and other problems.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar Icons too big and other problems.: Hi, when I had installed Windows 10 on my Computer My taskbar icons were HUGE. Here is the screenshot,for u guys it may not look like its big, but in my screen its huge, and when i try to record my cursor looks like as if it was recorded in 720p, and my display is 1080p with...
  7. Taskbar Icons too big and other problems.

8. Taskbar icons too big

Taskbar icons too big: Hi how can i make the icons on the taskbar smaller that 100% It too big for me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-icons-too-big/1da51358-a31a-43e5-86cf-f6ed5bad50b4
  9. Taskbar toolbar Icons

Taskbar toolbar Icons: Hi Ever since I think windows 98, I have had a particular setup on Windows and I am so used to it that I really don't want to change it. I recently bought a Dell laptop and upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro The Setup I have is that I have the task bar on auto-hide on the...
  10. Taskbar too big 10061

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar too big 10061: My laptop just updated to 10061 and my task bar is taller than before. How can I get it back to normal size like previous versions. I have tried everything I can. thanks 5588