Windows 10: toolbar menu first time after boot very slow to display

Discus and support toolbar menu first time after boot very slow to display in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a toolbar with about 25 items, mostly just shortcuts to various programs. When I first left click on the toolbar name in the taskbar, it can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by rocket777, May 22, 2018.

1. rocket777 Win User

toolbar menu first time after boot very slow to display

I have a toolbar with about 25 items, mostly just shortcuts to various programs. When I first left click on the toolbar name in the taskbar, it can take 5-10 seconds to display the menu. I've tried to determine which (if just one) item that is causing the slowdown, but am unable to do so. Is there any way to speed this up?

Interestingly, the desktop toolbar, which has many more complex menu items only takes about 1 second to display. While it is figuring out what to display, I don't see any appreciable cpu time (watching with procexplorer) nor do I see any disk i/o, so something must be hung up. Also, I have a similar menu on a much slower laptop, which also takes about the same amount of time for its menu to display - again makes me think it's some sort of timeout hang up.

I also can't suspend or hibernate (neither work) so I have to reboot a lot, which is why this keeps coming up.

:)

rocket777, May 22, 2018

2. No startup boot menu

Hello Kimoefat,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

As an initial recommendation, I would suggest you to access the System configuration utility and check if the Operating System installation path for Ubuntu exists. To do so, follow the below steps.

• Type msconfig in the search bar and select System Configuration from the search results.
    • Select the boot tab in the System configuration console to check if the installation path for Ubuntu exists.
    If it exists, next logical step is to check if the boot menu time out has been set to 0, which results in Boot menu not showing up.

The boot menu time-out determines how long the boot menu is displayed before the default boot entry is loaded. It is calibrated in seconds. To change the boot menu time-out, use the Bootcfg
    /timeout switch. Valid values are from 0 through 999. You cannot use Bootcfg to set an indefinite time-out.

You can run the following Run command line to set the boot menu time-out accordingly. To do so, follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt

• Type in the following command: bootcfg /timeout 10

timeout 10
      will set the time frame to 10 seconds
    However, if the Boot path for Ubuntu does not exist in the boot menu of System Configuration utility, I would suggest you to check if the Ubuntu is overridden by the Windows installation or if the Ubuntu installation files are corrupted.

Hope the above information is helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, May 22, 2018
  3. Geethu B Win User
    computer is very slow after installing Windows 10

Hi Marie,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that your computer is very slow after installing Windows 10.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

• Memory issues.

• Conflict between third party applications.
    Try the steps listed here:

Method 1:

I suggest you to run System Maintenance troubleshooter and check if it helps.

a) Press the Windows key on the
    keyboard

b) Type troubleshooter in the search box and then press
    enter.

c) Select Troubleshooting. Click on view all and select
    System

Maintenance

d) Click next and follow the on-screen instructions.

Method 2:

I suggest you to boot the computer to Safe Mode and check if the issue occurs. If the issue do not occur in Safe Mode, I suggest you to set the computer in a clean boot state and check if it helps.

Step 1:

I suggest you to refer the article and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Step 2:

If the issue do not occur in Safe Mode, perform a clean boot and check. Setting the system in a clean boot state will help to identify if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Warning:

1. Applies to Windows 10.

2. After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup
    mode.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, May 22, 2018
Thema:

toolbar menu first time after boot very slow to display

1. toolbar menu first time after boot very slow to display - Similar Threads - toolbar menu boot

2. Boot Time very slow on Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Boot Time very slow on Windows 10: Hello, I noticed yesterday that my boot time both on restarts and fresh boots had suddenly gotten a lot slower on my Dell laptop. It was previously 45 seconds or so, but is now 7-8 minutes. I've tried most of the possible fixes I've seen online: disabling/enabling fast...
  3. Context Menu Very, Very Slow

in Windows 10 Support
    Context Menu Very, Very Slow: so i just did an in-place upgrade that resolved pretty much all of the issues i was having, but unfortunately the context menu is now extremely slow. let me rephrase that, it's lightning quick when on the desktop or certain files (.dll for example), in fact it couldn't be...
  4. Very slow boot time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Very slow boot time: I have a sony vaio 500hdd 4gb ram i5 processor ,my problem is it takes for ever to start up ,when i start the laptop the windows logo comes up then takes ages to get to the please wait screen then takes ages again to get to the user welcome screen then i wait ages for the...
  5. Very slow boot time

in Windows 10 Support
    Very slow boot time: I have a sony vaio 500hdd 4gb ram i5 processor ,my problem is it takes for ever to start up ,when i start the laptop the windows logo comes up then takes ages to get to the please wait screen then takes ages again to get to the user welcome screen then i wait ages for the...
  6. windows 10 start menu freezing first time after boot.

windows 10 start menu freezing first time after boot.: I have windows 10 pro 1803. After every reboot of my PC the Start menu icons don't seem to work(Ions are little greyed out).They are clickable but they don't do any actions. This is solved if I close and open the Start menu again. Any permanent fix Note 1 : This doesn't...
  7. New Toolbars on the Taskbar Load very slow the first time after boot.

in Windows 10 Customization
    New Toolbars on the Taskbar Load very slow the first time after boot.: I Have created two new toolbars on my taskbar and when first opened, they load very slow in Win 10 Pro 1803 on a fast computer. I remember this issue occurred in a previous Windows version - maybe XP - but I don't recall where the tweak was but it was a setting to change...
  8. No menu dots on MS Store first time opend after boot.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No menu dots on MS Store first time opend after boot.: The first time I open Microsoft Store after booting the three dots for selecting the menu are missing. After closing the app and reopening it they are there and work normally. First image is first time store opened after booting and the second is subsequent opens of MS...
  9. Very slow boot time - 100% disk active time

Very slow boot time - 100% disk active time: Hi ! I purchased a new laptop a couple days ago (ASUS ZenBook UX410UAK – specs in screenshot) and straight from the first day I noticed it was way too slow, especially on boot. [img] [img] I managed to pinpoint down the problem to the HDD (ST1000LM035-1RK172). The...
  10. Boot time very slow with SSD

Boot time very slow with SSD: I have Windows 10 with the latest updates, my hardware is: i5-6600k running at 4.4GHZ and 1.3v Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD 8GB RAM Z170-HD3 RX 480 4GB I'm on windows 10 1703 My boot time has recently been extremely slow (almost 2 minutes) Interestingly Windows boot...