Windows 10: Top Row of Function Keys Don't Work, Only Work When Holding Down "Fn" Key

Discus and support Top Row of Function Keys Don't Work, Only Work When Holding Down "Fn" Key in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello! Recently when trying to use my volume and brightness keys, I can't use them without holding down the "Fn" key as well. I haven't done anything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Steven Psindler, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Top Row of Function Keys Don't Work, Only Work When Holding Down "Fn" Key

Hello! Recently when trying to use my volume and brightness keys, I can't use them without holding down the "Fn" key as well. I haven't done anything that I can think of that would cause this to change. I have already check my keyboard drivers and it says that they are up to date, so I can't think of anything else. Searching online has proved fruitless, they all say to update drivers. Any help regarding this matter? If it helps, I have a 2018 Dell Inspiron 15 3565 running Windows 10 Enterprise.

Thanks in advance!

:)

Steven Psindler, Oct 19, 2020
  2. P4-630 Win User

New laptop FN keys not working [Solved]

Exactly what I was used to do, pressing the FN key with an F key but that didn't work....
    If I press the FN key I get f1 f2 f3 and so on.

It was just the other way around, but I figured it out now.*Smile Top Row of Function Keys Don't Work, Only Work When Holding Down "Fn" Key :)

P4-630, Oct 19, 2020
  3. New laptop FN keys not working [Solved]

Ummm, that is normal - depending on the function you are doing (assuming I understand what you are saying).

On a notebook, the Fn key is like a shift key that switches in a different set of functions for the F-Keys.

For example, in Windows pressing the F5 key typically refreshes the display. In File Explorer, it will refresh the displayed files. In a browser, it will refresh (reload) the webpage. But pressing Fn + F5 does something different, depending on your notebook. On my Toshiba notebook, if I hold down the Fn key and press F5, it switches the video output of my notebook between the notebook monitor, a connected external monitor, or both.

Bill_Bright, Oct 19, 2020
  4. Berton Win User

Top Row of Function Keys Don't Work, Only Work When Holding Down "Fn" Key

Function keys won't work w/o hitting Fn key also

All the Notebooks/Laptops I've worked with did the same but some were opposite of others. The Fn key works in combination with the Fx keys with markings of the same Color as the Fn. Some will be marked in blue with additional markings in white, holding down the Fn key while pressing an Fx determines the function. Some older units will have markings on different keys such as the arrow keys and PageUp/PageDown keys, Home and End keys, etc. Just have to learn what your Notebook does. A standard desktop keyboard can be used on Notebooks but won't have all the added functions.

Berton, Oct 19, 2020
Thema:

Top Row of Function Keys Don't Work, Only Work When Holding Down "Fn" Key

1. Top Row of Function Keys Don't Work, Only Work When Holding Down "Fn" Key - Similar Threads - Top Row Function

2. Top Row of Keys Don't Work, Only Work When Holding Down "Fn" Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Top Row of Keys Don't Work, Only Work When Holding Down "Fn" Key: Split from this thread. Hello, I also can't find a way to switch fn key with the f1-12 keys. I did in fact do a clean install/ reset the laptop multiple times too so that might have something to do with it.I tried the laptop's settings, Lenovo vantage/setting, BIOS settings,...
  3. Top Row of Keys Don't Work, Only Work When Holding Down "Fn" Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Top Row of Keys Don't Work, Only Work When Holding Down "Fn" Key: Split from this thread. Hello, I also can't find a way to switch fn key with the f1-12 keys. I did in fact do a clean install/ reset the laptop multiple times too so that might have something to do with it.I tried the laptop's settings, Lenovo vantage/setting, BIOS settings,...
  4. Top Row of Keys Don't Work, Only Work When Holding Down "Fn" Key

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Audio and Brightness FN keys don't work unless holding down fn key.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio and Brightness FN keys don't work unless holding down fn key.: I bought a new HP gaming laptop a few days ago Victus by HP Gaming Laptop 15-fb1xxx. Come into an issue where I can't use the f2,f3, f5, f6, and f7 keys. Whenever I click them while on a browser it makes my page reload instead of performing a brightness or audio change...
  6. Audio and Brightness FN keys don't work unless holding down fn key.

Audio and Brightness FN keys don't work unless holding down fn key.: I bought a new HP gaming laptop a few days ago Victus by HP Gaming Laptop 15-fb1xxx. Come into an issue where I can't use the f2,f3, f5, f6, and f7 keys. Whenever I click them while on a browser it makes my page reload instead of performing a brightness or audio change...
  7. Top Row of Keys Don't Work, Only Work When Holding Down "Fn" Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Top Row of Keys Don't Work, Only Work When Holding Down "Fn" Key: I can’t use my volume, brightness, or any of the top row keys unless I press the function key. The function lock isn’t on. This happened after my laptop updated....
  8. Top Row of Keys Don't Work, Only Work When Holding Down "Fn" Key

Top Row of Keys Don't Work, Only Work When Holding Down "Fn" Key: I can’t use my volume, brightness, or any of the top row keys unless I press the function key. The function lock isn’t on. This happened after my laptop updated....
  9. Top Row of Keys Don't Work, Only Work When Holding Down "Fn" Key

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Top row of keys not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Top row of keys not working: So i picked up an ASUS 15 flip and i noticed the keys along the top like volume, brightness, etc dont work. They do work if i hold Fn though. In device manager it says my keyboard drivers are up to date. Nothing has changed before or after Windows was done updating. Pressing...