Windows 10: Top row of keys not working

Discus and support Top row of keys not working in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So i picked up an ASUS 15 flip and i noticed the keys along the top like volume, brightness, etc dont work. They do work if i hold Fn though. In device... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/babygorilla90, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Top row of keys not working

So i picked up an ASUS 15 flip and i noticed the keys along the top like volume, brightness, etc dont work. They do work if i hold Fn though. In device manager it says my keyboard drivers are up to date. Nothing has changed before or after Windows was done updating. Pressing certain top row keys will do something weird like just refresh the page.

Does anyone know what could be causing this ?

Thanks.

submitted by /u/babygorilla90
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/babygorilla90, Dec 9, 2019

2. the top row is not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To better understand your query, please reply:

1. What do you mean by "top row not working" not working? Are you referring to keyboard top row keys?

I would suggest you to go to the safe mode and see if the problem persists.

To go to Safe mode follow the steps below:

• Click on Windows key, and in the Power Options click on Restart while pressing the shift key.

• A blue screen will appear with a few options.

Click on Troubleshoot > Advanced Settings > Startup Settings > Restart.

• Your system will automatically restart, press 4 or F4 key to go to the Safe Mode.
    Awaiting your response.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Dec 9, 2019
  3. the top row is not working

Hi Bisa,

Thank you for posting you reply.

I suggest you to update the Keyboard drivers by following the steps below and check if the issue persists.

• Press Windows key + R and select Device Manager from the list.
    • Expand Keyboard drivers.
    • Right click on the driver and select update driver software.
    • Follow the on-screen prompts and to update the driver.
    Hope the information is helpful.

Regards

Eeshwar Kumar, Dec 9, 2019
  4. Top row of keys not working

Function Keys Not Working

Hello Celery,

Thank you for posting your query.

We certainly want this taken care of. To further assist you with your query, provide us the information below so we can provide an accurate steps to resolve this.

• Since when the issue started?
    • Where there any changes made prior to the issue?
    • Are you using a Microsoft keyboard?

Meanwhile, laptops have a key that determines whether the top row of keys act as function keys or the normal top row of a
    QWERTY keyboard. Check the "F Lock" button to the right of the
    F12 button, make sure that hasn't been toggled.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Haidae Tam, Dec 9, 2019
Thema:

Top row of keys not working

1. Top row of keys not working - Similar Threads - Top row keys

2. Top Row of Keys Don't Work, Only Work When Holding Down "Fn" Key

in Windows 10 Customization
    Top Row of Keys Don't Work, Only Work When Holding Down "Fn" Key: Split from this thread. Hello, I also can't find a way to switch fn key with the f1-12 keys. I did in fact do a clean install/ reset the laptop multiple times too so that might have something to do with it.I tried the laptop's settings, Lenovo vantage/setting, BIOS settings,...
  3. Top Row of Keys Don't Work, Only Work When Holding Down "Fn" Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Top Row of Keys Don't Work, Only Work When Holding Down "Fn" Key: I can’t use my volume, brightness, or any of the top row keys unless I press the function key. The function lock isn’t on. This happened after my laptop updated....
  4. Top Row of Keys Don't Work, Only Work When Holding Down "Fn" Key

Top Row of Keys Don't Work, Only Work When Holding Down "Fn" Key: I can’t use my volume, brightness, or any of the top row keys unless I press the function key. The function lock isn’t on. This happened after my laptop updated....
  5. The top row of my keyboard not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The top row of my keyboard not working: Q, W, E, R, U, I, O and P: not workingT and Y: working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-top-row-of-my-keyboard-not-working/123d311a-1e3a-4a72-9a7c-4a8de546363c
  6. The top row of my keyboard not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The top row of my keyboard not working: Q, W, E, R, U, I, O and P: not workingT and Y: working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-top-row-of-my-keyboard-not-working/123d311a-1e3a-4a72-9a7c-4a8de546363c
  7. A Row of Keys Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A Row of Keys Not Working: So this has happened to me before where the F# keys did not input the correct function such as volume, brightness, etc. and all I had to do was press Fn + Esc and it would fix it, but now I have tried that but it still hasn't fixed it, I know if you press Fn + any F# key, I...
  8. A Row of Keys Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A Row of Keys Not Working: So this has happened to me before where the F# keys did not input the correct function such as volume, brightness, etc. and all I had to do was press Fn + Esc and it would fix it, but now I have tried that but it still hasn't fixed it, I know if you press Fn + any F# key, I...
  9. A Row of Keys Not Working

10. Top Row of Keyboard Not Working

Top Row of Keyboard Not Working: My top row of my keyboard isn't working. The keys from the top left "Esc" to the top right "Del" are all not working. I cannot change my brightness or sound levels and when I press the keys, it randomly opens up google help etc. I have tried numerous things with the device...