Windows 10: Tor install on some Linux VM's fails with gpg key import error

Discus and support Tor install on some Linux VM's fails with gpg key import error in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks those of you using TOR (or want to) on Linux VM's (or hosts for that matter) might come up with problem importing gpg key when installing via... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Dec 9, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Tor install on some Linux VM's fails with gpg key import error

Hi folks

those of you using TOR (or want to) on Linux VM's (or hosts for that matter) might come up with problem importing gpg key when installing via the distros package manager. (key too long etc - various errors).

Either download source and compile yourself or download the package from the tor site and follow those instructions.

If using arch type distros opt for option 3 from the aur - the development version -- installs perfectly but it will be the eng-us version -- shouldn't be a problem for those users familiar with tor.

There are work arounds with certificates and keys but I always think that doing anything with those things runs the risk of compromising your system.

I try and avoid installing stuff manually as it makes monitoring and having consistent systems much harder. Package managers are designed to keep tabs on what's installed etc so I prefer to use them.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Dec 9, 2019
  2. VBJP Win User

Hyper-v fails to import VM

My Hyper-V storage drive broke down, have backups for that drive, so I have files for VMs. Replaced drive copied files from backup but Hyper-v manager doesn't see any VMs. Trying to import VMs from those files gets me error Unspecified error (0x8004005).
    Both Restore and Register Import options fail Copy succeeds but it says that it will create new ID is that bad? If windows license is tied to that VM will it require reactivation?
    Any ideas why import fails, maybe because it was disk failure Hyper-v still somehow remembers VMs that was on failed drive and dont let me import same IDs? Get-VM doesn't show any VMs also Hyper-v Manager shows up empty.

Tor install on some Linux VM's fails with gpg key import error [​IMG]

VBJP, Dec 9, 2019
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    Install Calibre on most Linux VM's without Certificate error

Hi there

If you are running a Linux VM and want to install Calibre it's easily done and this method means you don't need to have a root certificate (standard method throws up "Certificate Error").

simply from command line in most distros :

sudo -v && wget -nv -O- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ko...x-installer.py | sudo python -c "import sys; main=lambda x:sys.stderr.write('Download failed\n'); exec(sys.stdin.read()); main('/opt')"

Ensure python is installed.

Works fine just like the Windows version.

Since I have far more HDD space on my Linux VM's than the windows host seems great that this very useful program works on Linux.

I needed to get this working as eventually the library will be moved to my NAS servers.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 9, 2019
  4. zithe Win User

Linux Noob - Ubuntu fails on install GRUB error 2

Did you burn the image on the slowest setting possible? Pop your disc in and try checking the disc for errors (booting from the disc). If it has an error on it then you have a bad install.

I just googled your motherboard and ubuntu... This thread is on the list. XD

If it's a bad install I'd suggest a different version of Ubuntu or to try Fedora instead. I had nothing but trouble with 8.04.

Also, try your connections. Sounds stupid but maybe the CD sent it and the hard drive couldn't get it or some weird thing like that. (Talking out my rear end now, but it's worth a shot)

Sorry I couldn't help more. *Frown Tor install on some Linux VM's fails with gpg key import error :(

zithe, Dec 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Tor install on some Linux VM's fails with gpg key import error - Similar Threads - Tor install Linux

2. Can I install Garuda Linux in an Azure VM ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I install Garuda Linux in an Azure VM ?: Hi everyone,I want to use Garuda Linux on my Azure VM by either using an ORACLE VIRTUALBOX or ANY OTHER suitable way.But for that I need Hyper-V which is not available in any Azure VMs. I know nested virtualization exists, but I tried various VM sizes, Ds2_v3, e-series and...
  3. Can I install Garuda Linux in an Azure VM ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I install Garuda Linux in an Azure VM ?: Hi everyone,I want to use Garuda Linux on my Azure VM by either using an ORACLE VIRTUALBOX or ANY OTHER suitable way.But for that I need Hyper-V which is not available in any Azure VMs. I know nested virtualization exists, but I tried various VM sizes, Ds2_v3, e-series and...
  4. Linux install error

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Linux install error: wsl --install The requested operation requires elevation. I want to install linux on my pc it is giving me error like this , how to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/linux-install-error/9e9b5bb2-3be3-4279-b7d9-e951e9a356e7
  5. Linux install error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Linux install error: wsl --install The requested operation requires elevation. I want to install linux on my pc it is giving me error like this , how to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/linux-install-error/9e9b5bb2-3be3-4279-b7d9-e951e9a356e7
  6. Linux install error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. VMWare installing Linux / Windows VM's with NVme Disks

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMWare installing Linux / Windows VM's with NVme Disks: Hi folks on Windows latest VMWare releases (>15.5.6 ) allow the use of an NVme driver -- works super well on bog standard SSD's too. For Windows VM's -- no problem just install your VM. However there's a catch when installing a Linux distro from a live distro (those that...
  8. Hyper-v fails to import VM

Hyper-v fails to import VM: My Hyper-V storage drive broke down, have backups for that drive, so I have files for VMs. Replaced drive copied files from backup but Hyper-v manager doesn't see any VMs. Trying to import VMs from those files gets me error Unspecified error (0x8004005). Both Restore and...
  9. VMvare Tools install fail on some VM's

VMvare Tools install fail on some VM's: I've been messing around with virtual machines for a couple of months. Lots of fun! Started from scratch without knowing or understanding anything and I got to the stage where I thought I knew everything and then all the way to realizing i understand very little, and still...
  10. Install Calibre on most Linux VM's without Certificate error

Install Calibre on most Linux VM's without Certificate error: Hi there If you are running a Linux VM and want to install Calibre it's easily done and this method means you don't need to have a root certificate (standard method throws up "Certificate Error"). simply from command line in most distros : sudo -v && wget -nv -O-...