Windows 10: Torrent programs are not malware!

Discus and support Torrent programs are not malware! in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I try to keep up on upcoming changes to windows and this one I just read about is disconcerting to say the least. Microsoft has unilaterally decided... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Sqrly, May 26, 2020.

1. Sqrly Win User

Torrent programs are not malware!

I try to keep up on upcoming changes to windows and this one I just read about is disconcerting to say the least.

Microsoft has unilaterally decided that torrent programs are categorically malicious. This is false.

What's worse is that anyone who chooses to use a legitimate torrent program for legitimate reasons will have to disable protection from all PUP's PUA's.

Microsoft needs to stop trying to police content. I applaud their efforts to provide security but we must draw the line at censorship and that is what this is. They are trying to "censor" a certain type of content even though it is not illegal nor a security risk.

"Microsoft uses specific categories and the category definitions to classify software as a PUA.

• Advertising software: Software that displays advertisements or promotions, or prompts you to complete surveys for other products or services in software other than itself. This includes software that inserts advertisements to webpages.
    • Torrent software: Software that is used to create or download torrents or other files specifically used with peer-to-peer file-sharing technologies.
    • Cryptomining software: Software that uses your device resources to mine cryptocurrencies.
    • Bundling software: Software that offers to install other software that is not digitally signed by the same entity. Also, software that offers to install other software that qualifies as PUA based on the criteria outlined in this document.
    • Marketing software: Software that monitors and transmits the activities of users to applications or services other than itself for marketing research.
    • Evasion software: Software that actively tries to evade detection by security products, including software that behaves differently in the presence of security products.
    • Poor industry reputation: Software that trusted security providers detect with their security products. The security industry is dedicated to protecting customers and improving their experiences. Microsoft and other organizations in the security industry continuously exchange knowledge about files we have analyzed to provide users with the best possible protection."

Source: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/criteria

:)

Sqrly, May 26, 2020
  2. Elrendhel Win User

Torrent Program For Windows Mobile 6?

Greetings Mikel12! Welcome to the Windows Mobile Owners Circle forums!

It does not look like there are any other Torrent programs available for WM other than WinMobile Torrents. There may very well be others, but they are either too small or too recently created to have garnered enough interest to be listed anywhere in the
    two search engines that I searched on your behalf...

Sorry...

Elrendhel, May 26, 2020
  3. Vlad0 Win User
    How one can associate a given extension (.torrent) to a certain program (utorrent)?

Well, today I've studied all options proposed by you. The only adequate option is option 7: "Associate a file type or protocol with a program in control panel". Unfortunately this method

could not be applied to .torrent files, just because the extension .torrent is absent in the list of extensions (as I wrote yesterday). By the way the extension .torrent is registered in regedit, and the program utorrent is present in regedit as one of possible
    progs which can adequately treat

files of this type. And I've inspected about 90% of regedit, looking for all occurrences of the string ".torrent", and I've seen no occurrence of this string in the neighborhood of the string

"Acrobat reader" with which torrent files are associated due to the **** knows why Torrent programs are not malware! :(

So the answer to my question is up to now unknown for me. The only thing I know, is that about

2 weeks ago everything was OK with torrent files. So the next step I would try is to rollback comp

to a previous state. If this rollback is only possible.

Vlad0, May 26, 2020
  4. Torrent programs are not malware!

Best way to remove problem Malware

Hi There,

I am trying to remove a bundle of Malware without success.

There is a bundle of listed programs which I try to uninstall through the typical Control Panel effort, but they remain listed there:

Buenosearch Toolbar
    MyPC Backup
    PC Performer
    Speed Test 127
    UnknownFile

I was looking at this weblink which provides a 5 step process for Buenosearch alone:
    Remove Bueno Search (Removal Guide)

Not sure how much certain guides can be trusted. One of the first things I read was to download Revo Uninstaller, and I've not heard of it so I'm not sure if it's trustworthy..........

radioraheem, May 26, 2020
Thema:

Torrent programs are not malware!

1. Torrent programs are not malware! - Similar Threads - Torrent programs are

2. installing torrents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    installing torrents: I installed uTorrent web, but I cannot install the torrents themselves I watched the video and did everything it says but mine does not have the PLAY button to install the torrent...
  3. installing torrents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    installing torrents: I installed uTorrent web, but I cannot install the torrents themselves I watched the video and did everything it says but mine does not have the PLAY button to install the torrent...
  4. installing torrents

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Decent Windows Torrent client (torrents are legal !!!)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Decent Windows Torrent client (torrents are legal !!!): Hi folks Can anybody please suggest a decent (not ad ridden) bit torrent client for Windows -- torrents can be perfectly legal and safe for downloading proper software (e,g red hat - now part of IBM, centos etc linux distros) which keeps loads on servers balanced --perhaps...
  6. Beware of visiting malware infected torrent websites.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Beware of visiting malware infected torrent websites.: I had recently experienced that the Melody's Escape Torrent was some form of malware that contains identity theft. I had got the clear message saying something about IP Address was being targeted to distribute malware to my system. Do not call that fake number, do not shut...
  7. Are these programs malware?

Are these programs malware?: I installed an app which also installed a bunch of sketchy software, most of which I removed. However, there is one very suspicious program constantly running in the background, which seems to be opening Yahoo search every time I do a Google search (this stops when I close...
  8. malware removal programs

malware removal programs: I have a malware problem, and I would like opinions of the following malware removeral programs. 1/ Malwarebytes, 2/ HitmanPro, and 3/ Zemana Anti Malware Portable. Any info is appreciated. barney31...
  9. Repair/Malware program

Repair/Malware program: What is a good repair/malware program to install? It can be free or purchased, as long as it does the job properly. 62097
  10. Whats the best Torrent program?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Whats the best Torrent program?: I have been using bitlord, but I'm thinking of going to another torrent program. So which is the best? 26163