Windows 10: Toshiba external hard drive not detectible

Discus and support Toshiba external hard drive not detectible in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Toshiba DWC250 5TB external drive formatted ReFS that I cannot detect in either Disk Management or by using DiskPart/List Disk. Cabling and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Cbarnhorst, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Toshiba external hard drive not detectible

I have a Toshiba DWC250 5TB external drive formatted ReFS that I cannot detect in either Disk Management or by using DiskPart/List Disk. Cabling and power are sound. The unit is not user serviceable because the case is not designed to be opened. I use it in a storage pool on Windows 10 Pro. I am having problems with the pool and removed the drive to check for files with a different computer.

I would like to use Diskpart/clean or clean all on it but first I have to get the disk detected. The unit has not shown signs of drive failure so it may be re-useable. Is there a technique to force detection (should it still be useable)? Please note the file system in not NTFS. It is ReFS. I have already detached it from its home PC and attached to a Surface Pro 4 via the Surface Dock to see if I can get it detected, but without success.

:)

Cbarnhorst, Jun 28, 2017

2. Switched to W 10: now my external hard drive does not show in File Explorer

My problem is almost the opposite (and I do not know how to switch from Manual to Automatic, or vice-versa).

I switched from W 7 to W 10 today. Now, when I plug in my Toshiba external hard drive (3 TB, I think), the computer plays the little tune of beeps it always does when I plug in a USB key, for example, and plays the unplug beep tune too--so my computer knows
    the Toshiba external hard drive is there!

However, the Toshiba external hard drive does not appear in File Explorer, so I cannot drag and drop folders and files from my internal hard drive to my external hard drive, nor from a USB key to the external hard drive.

I think that in Control Panel, under devices, there is an entry corresponding to my Toshiba external hard drive, as it says "3" (but does not say what there are 3 of); when I right click on the icon and then left click on "Properties", the screen says that
    the manufacturer of the device is unknown (it says that for at least one other device, also). It does not say if any of the device is free or any portion of it full.

Many thanks in advance for telling me how I can get my Toshiba external hard drive to appear in File Explorer, so that I can use it!

neilbreton, Jun 28, 2017
  3. DiskManagement does not show internal HDD in W10

My problem is almost the opposite (and I do not know how to switch from Manual to Automatic, or vice-versa).

I switched from W 7 to W 10 today. Now, when I plug in my Toshiba external hard drive (3 TB, I think), the computer plays the little tune of beeps it always does when I plug in a USB key, for example, and plays the unplug beep tune too--so my computer knows
    the Toshiba external hard drive is there!

However, the Toshiba external hard drive does not appear in File Explorer, so I cannot drag and drop folders and files from my internal hard drive to my external hard drive, nor from a USB key to the external hard drive.

I think that in Control Panel, under devices, there is an entry corresponding to my Toshiba external hard drive, as it says "3" (but does not say what there are 3 of); when I right click on the icon and then left click on "Properties", the screen says that
    the manufacturer of the device is unknown (it says that for at least one other device, also). It does not say if any of the device is free or any portion of it full.

Many thanks in advance for telling me how I can get my Toshiba external hard drive to appear in File Explorer, so that I can use it!

neilbreton, Jun 28, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Toshiba external hard drive not detectible

You can open the case. Here is a video that will show you where the locking tabs are, but hopefully knowing where the tabs are you can finesse it open a bit easier:
    Disasembly and assembly of a TOSHIBA External Hard Drive - YouTube

I would start by plugging it into a black, USB 2.0 port, go into UEFI/BIOS setup and see if the drive is recognized as a possible boot source.

As a last resort, open the case, connect the hard drive via standard SATA and power cables.

Also...when it is connected, does device manager show any unrecognized/troubled devices?

NavyLCDR, Jun 28, 2017
  5. I assume you mean a "blue usb 3.0 port."

I have no desire to remove the drive by the means shown in the video. What is your thought in doing that?

I got it to appear in Disk Management just now and it is listed as "unallocated." Minitools Partition Manager now finds it as "Msft storage space" but displays "Bad Disk." Diskpart now finds it and I can select it, but when I issue the clean all command nothing more happens and the disk drops out of sight again.

I don't think it is physically bad, but its use in a storage pool that failed may have caused the issues. Disconnecting a drive from a storage space and reading it on another computer is supposed to work, but that's if nothing has gone wrong with the storage space or pool it is disconnected from.

I am trying to find out if there is a way to reset the disk so it can be formatted.

Cbarnhorst, Jun 28, 2017
  6. New developments. (There are two drives involved, both same model, one is 4TB and one is 5TB, same issues, which is why I don't think the drives are bad).

I can run the HGST Windows Drive Fitness Test suite. Neither drive shows issues in SMART data. Both pass the short and long tests. I have erased both the MBR and Data on one of them with the HGST tool. The issue seems to be that I cannot initialize either one. I get this error on attempting to initialize (MBR or GPT):

Toshiba external hard drive not detectible [​IMG]

Cbarnhorst, Jun 29, 2017
  7. spunk Win User
    There is a great chance the drive has failed.
    The video is very clear how to disassemble the enclosure to remove the HDD. Basically, there is a seam, that you have to separate with a flat head screw driver or other tool, guitar pick etc. The enclosure is snapped together, and it should come apart if your keep working it.
    Once the HDD is removed you can attach it via a USB Adapter, Dock or other Enclosure with a power adapter. If the drive doesn't spin up, or spins up then down it has failed and needs to be replaced.

spunk, Jun 29, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

What I actually meant to post was plug it into a black USB 2.0 port. It's better to use USB 2.0 ports for troubleshooting because usually the drivers for USB 2.0 are more stable and some BIOS/UEFI firmware will not actually have full support for USB 3.0 at that level.

The next thing I would try, without disassembling the case, would be to make a bootable USB flash drive of Kyhi's Recovery Tools. Boot the computer from that - once it is booted, you can remove the flash drive. Plug the hard drive into a black USB 2.0 port and see if you can use one of the utilities included on Kyhi's Recovery Tools to get the drive initialized back to a simple, standard MBR or GPT drive with an NTFS partition on it. MBR will only see 2 TB of the drive.

NavyLCDR, Jun 29, 2017
  9. Both devices behave exactly the same. What is the chance that two hard drives failed at exactly the same time? Do you have experience with storage spaces and the effect on a drive from removal from SS? This is not one drive exhibiting the issues, but two. The SMART logs are perfect. The HGST test suite shows all is well. I don't think the drives are shot, I think there is something blocking initialization of them. But what?

Cbarnhorst, Jun 29, 2017
  10. OK. I understand the usb port advice now. I will try Khyi's.

Cbarnhorst, Jun 29, 2017
  11. Berton Win User
    Learned something new today, didn't know Toshiba was using HGST drives.
    HGST = formerly Hitachi formerly IBM
    I have a Toshiba HDD in my ASUS Desktop acquired back in November, will have to look into that HGST test suite for it.

Berton, Jun 29, 2017
  12. Just Bing on "HGST Windows Drive Fitness Test."

Cbarnhorst, Jun 29, 2017
  13. Toshiba external hard drive not detectible

Aomei on the iso did the trick. I thought the drives should be reclaimable with a good toolbox. I can now access both drives easily from File Explorer and This Computer. Thanks!

Cbarnhorst, Jun 29, 2017
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Glad it worked out for you!

NavyLCDR, Jun 29, 2017
  15. Interestingly, when I try to set up a new storage space, the drives both lose partition information and I have to re-initialize and format. But at least I can do that now. Before I just couldn't manage them at all. I'm starting to wonder if the cum update on Tuesday broke storage spaces. But at least the drives are normal for everything else. Thanks again.

Cbarnhorst, Jun 29, 2017
Thema:

1. Toshiba external hard drive not detectible - Similar Threads - Toshiba external hard

2. 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .: 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive . Lights up when connected with the computer then shuts off The light not the drive . Troubleshooting says device cannot start code 10 . Then , problem with the driver. Says I have best driver . Tried reinstall . Reinstall fail all the time ....
  3. 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .: 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive . Lights up when connected with the computer then shuts off The light not the drive . Troubleshooting says device cannot start code 10 . Then , problem with the driver. Says I have best driver . Tried reinstall . Reinstall fail all the time ....
  4. Toshiba external drive is not detected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Toshiba external drive is not detected: Mi disco duro externo toshiba no es detectado en lo absoluto por mi pc cuando la conecto a mi computadora mi computadora no detecta nada, es como si no hubiera conectado nada, la prove en otros dispositivos y estos si la reconocen, alguien podría ayudarme...
  5. Toshiba external drive is not detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Toshiba external drive is not detected: Mi disco duro externo toshiba no es detectado en lo absoluto por mi pc cuando la conecto a mi computadora mi computadora no detecta nada, es como si no hubiera conectado nada, la prove en otros dispositivos y estos si la reconocen, alguien podría ayudarme...
  6. Toshiba 1Tb external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Toshiba 1Tb external hard drive: Drive won't be recognized by Windows 10. Toshiba states it's because of a windows 10 update. How do I remedy this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/toshiba-1tb-external-hard-drive/c97c98c0-f558-41d9-9099-f8690942888e
  7. Toshiba external hard disk not detected

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Toshiba external hard disk not detected: I have a Toshiba external hard disk, model HDDR250E03X which isn't detected by my windows 10 dell laptop. The hard disk lights white when plugged in but windows doesn't show anything that indicates it's detected. What are the possible solutions? I have changed the ports,...
  8. 500 GB Toshiba External Hard Drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    500 GB Toshiba External Hard Drive.: Hi can anyone please help. Recently purchased the above unit, and it worked 100%, recently tried to backup my new computer [Windows 10 -Lenovo} and I now find, that my ex.hardrive only shows - 35 gb of free space it should be showing 465 gb ??????? .Please help/advise....
  9. Toshiba external hard drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Toshiba external hard drive not recognized: [ATTACH] This is a Toshiba 3Tb external hard drive I have used in the past and it worked fine until one day I got this error. I have tried updating drivers, windows says I have the latest version. I've looked into partitioning, windows doesn't even show the hard drive. I...
  10. Toshiba external hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Toshiba external hard drive: windows 10. I installed the harddrive. did everything by the book. The device has been recognised and the owners manual uploaded to device, then I backed up to device, but can't open any files. The file icons are shown, but don't show size and I can't open any?...