Windows 10: Toshiba external harddrive keeps disconnecting when trying to do back up

Discus and support Toshiba external harddrive keeps disconnecting when trying to do back up in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When I connect the external (back up) hard drive, the light comes on. When I go to back up now, it says it is "backing up" then after 10 seconds I Keep... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Amy31MC, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Amy31MC Win User

Toshiba external harddrive keeps disconnecting when trying to do back up

When I connect the external (back up) hard drive, the light comes on. When I go to back up now, it says it is "backing up" then after 10 seconds I Keep getting this message:

Reconnect your drive: Your file history drive was disconnected for too long.

Hope someone has the magic solution. Have googled it many times but so far no luck.

I need to do a back up as my pc keeps crashing due to the forced Windows 10 updates which I can no longer turn off (only for one hour) Have understood the only way to solve this is to reinstall Windows 10 but before I do I want to do a back up and now have this problem.

:)

Amy31MC, Sep 25, 2019
  2. Zeriya Win User

[Win10] External 3.0 Hardrive keeps disconnecting

Hello,

I've been having this issue recently with my Toshiba 500gb External Harddrive. Out of no where, it just started randomly disconnecting and connecting non-stop. I never did this before. I'm running windows 10, but the issue didn't occur after installation of the OS. I've have Windows 10 for a while now and it just started to do this. Any ideas of what this could be?

I've tried Googling this kind of things but most of them aren't making much sense and I'd rather be able to respond to my assistance.

Zeriya, Sep 25, 2019
  3. After Windows 10 update, computer keeps crashing when external Toshiba hard drive is attached

Hi Barry,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We understand the inconvenience caused and we will try our best to resolve the issue.

To assist you better, please provide few details.

• Are you able to access the external harddrive on any other computer, running with windows 10 Operating System?

• Have you tried connecting any other external harddrive to check if the issue is confined with specific harddrive?
    This issue might occur if a system thread generates an exception that the error handler does not catch.

Since your system is getting crashed, whenever you connect external drive to the computer. It might occur if the external drive is not compatible with Windows 10 or may got corrupted.

I suggest you to contact to the manufacturer of the external drive and check for the compatibility of the harddrive with Windows 10.

Refer to the below link:

Downloads & Product Archive - Storage Solutions - EMEA Region

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Sep 25, 2019
  4. Bree Win User

Problem with my Toshiba external drive.

Good, now use the Diskpart commands SELECT DISK, LIST PARTITION and LIST VOLUME to find out what's on each. Use these commands in this order and post a screenshot of the results.

LIST DISK
    SELECT DISK 0
    LIST PARTITION
    SELECT DISK 1
    LIST PARTITION
    LIST VOLUME

This is what I see on my system with a (Toshiba, as it happens) usb drive plugged in. This Toshiba is Disk 1 and has two partitions.

Toshiba external harddrive keeps disconnecting when trying to do back up [​IMG]

Thema:

1. Toshiba external harddrive keeps disconnecting when trying to do back up - Similar Threads - Toshiba external harddrive

2. Harddrive Disconnecting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Harddrive Disconnecting: Hello. Lately My internal SATA harddrive randomly disconnects about once a week now, when I go into BIOS it is not listed anymore. I fixed this by disconnecting the SATA and power cables and reconnecting it and it works again, however this keeps happening and I'm not sure if...
  3. Harddrive Disconnecting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Harddrive Disconnecting: Hello. Lately My internal SATA harddrive randomly disconnects about once a week now, when I go into BIOS it is not listed anymore. I fixed this by disconnecting the SATA and power cables and reconnecting it and it works again, however this keeps happening and I'm not sure if...
  4. Harddrive Disconnecting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. External Hard Drive Toshiba - Laptop crashes when I try and do anything with it

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive Toshiba - Laptop crashes when I try and do anything with it: I've got a 1TB toshiba external HD. It stopped working, and now when I plug it in / try and reformat or do anything with it my laptop just crashes! I would be grateful of any help or suggestions :...
  6. External Hard Drive Toshiba - Laptop crashes when I try and do anything with it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Toshiba - Laptop crashes when I try and do anything with it: I've got a 1TB toshiba external HD. It stopped working, and now when I plug it in / try and reformat or do anything with it my laptop just crashes! I would be grateful of any help or suggestions :...
  7. Back-up with seagate external harddrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Back-up with seagate external harddrive: As others before, I got trouble to use my new seagate external hard drive with windows 10 on my laptop. Windows is recognizing the device and I can start the back-up process in Windows. But always I get the message that the back-up has begun. but even so, every time, after...
  8. Files backed up to an external harddrive that end up with the file extension "last"...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Files backed up to an external harddrive that end up with the file extension "last"...: Backed up files on PC running Windows 10 to a WD My Passport Ultra external hard drive. But the files all have a file extension "last" attached to them making them unreadable. Is this a Windows issue/fix, or is it possibly caused by the software associated with the...
  9. external harddrive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external harddrive: My computer recognizes the harddrive . States it is working properly but will not allow me to open it. What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-harddrive/0aba405c-3d6d-4a2d-afb4-771e92c416ed
  10. external harddrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    external harddrive: HI ALL I NEED DESPERATE HELP IM PANICKING I DID SOMETHING WITH MY EXTERNAL HDD I TOOK SHARING OFF BY MISTAKE AND ITS LIKE MY LIFE ON THE HDD IT SAYS H; NOT ACCESSIBLE AND ACCESS DENIED HOW DO I FX IT...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Toshiba external HDD disconnects during use