Windows 10: Total loss of hard drive after downloading and installing windows 10 updates. March 2020

Discus and support Total loss of hard drive after downloading and installing windows 10 updates. March 2020 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have a HP notebook 15 laptop a little more than 4 years old, bought it brand new. AMD E1-6010 processor with Radeon R2 graphics 2 GB ram 1 Terabyte... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by TomWtsn, Mar 30, 2020.

1. TomWtsn Win User

Total loss of hard drive after downloading and installing windows 10 updates. March 2020

I have a HP notebook 15 laptop a little more than 4 years old, bought it brand new. AMD E1-6010 processor with Radeon R2 graphics 2 GB ram 1 Terabyte HHD HDD installed about a year ago after accidently dropping the notebook on the floor while it was running The notebook has been running fine until last week, I noticed the drive seemed to be constantly working although the machine was essentially doing nothing but sitting, checked to see if was downloading updates but appeared not to be, so I decided it was probably time for a defrag and commenced to doing same HDD was 3% fragmented before starting completed defrag and shut notebook off for the night. The following day the HDD still seemed to be constantly working while sitting on my desk, thought maybe was time to check to see if there was any new windows 10 updates that needed to be installed.

Went to windows update, and was advised there were updates that needed to be installed so I clicked on download updates and left the notebook running and plugged in on the desk. After a while I came back and opened up the screen had gone into rest mode and I noticed something I had not seen before that I can remember anyway On the far right hand side of the taskbar there was a triangle with a yellow dot in it, I clicked on the triangle and it said something like install updates - your computer is badly out of date. So I move over to the windows start icon and click on it. 3 options came up, install updates and restart, install updates and shut down, or shut down. Before I selected anything, I noticed this same yellow dot that had appeared on the other side of the task bar were next to the 2 install options previously mentioned, I selected install and restart. Computer started working on the installation, but when install was finished the computer would not reboot.

Not knowing what else I could do, I booted from a win 10 ISO I downloaded from Microsoft, HDD is essentially empty, it is showing 4 separate partitions on the disk,

Partition 1 is D: drive letter still there but only has 17MB used out of 526MB. Partition 2 is apparently C: but the identifier letter is missing from the 930 GB partition, Partition 3, I have no idea what is on it, also has no identifier letter, but it has used 17MB of the 67MB partition. Partition 4 is labeled Unallocated Space and is 612MB in size, all free.

I went online and it appears a few years back there was some problems with updates wiping out hard drives, so I followed the information and instructions and selected repair my computer option, advanced options, tried to use auto fix, tried manual fix boot mbr options, nothing worked and that's when I noticed there was no drive letter on C and there was no O/S so I stopped. It never dawned on me that pretty much everything was wiped from the drive.

So a couple of questions...

1. Why did this happen, any chance a virus or malware was downloaded with the updates? did that have anything to do with the mysterious yellow dot.

2. Before I reinstall windows 10 should I get a program to wipe the remaining data from the HDD in case its malware, and install the drive letter for C.

3. Will I have to buy an activation code for the newly installed O/S? Or will Microsoft know what I had based on my IP or other identifier?

4. Anything else I have missed?

Would appreciate any help. I waited on M/S Support for nearly 3 hours yesterday to get some help but I finally gave up, as there was no information about where I was in the queue.

:)

TomWtsn, Mar 30, 2020

2. Cumulative Updates - March 10th 2020

Changelog for Cumulative updates released on March 10th, 2020 are as under:

1. Windows 10 1903 and 1909: KB4540673 (OS Builds
      18362.719)
    2. Windows 10 version 1809: KB4538461(OS Build 17763.1098)*

For Windows 10 1903/1909, It is recommended to install servicing stack update KB4541338 before installing the cumulative updates.

Direct Download links

Servicing Stack Update KB4541338 for Windows 10 1903 and 1909

Windows 10 update history

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4529964/windows-10-update-history

Windows 10 release dashboard

Windows 10, version 1903 and Windows Server, version 1903 - Windows Release Information

Follow @WindowsUpdate to find out when new content is published to the release information dashboard.

*Support for Windows 10, version 1809 ends May 12th 2020.

Sumit - Insider MVP, Mar 30, 2020
  3. m4gicfour Win User
    Windows 10 forced download

^This, then reboot and go to manually update windows. Find KB3035583 in the list of available updates, right-click and "Hide this update" so it doesn't get installed again next go around.

m4gicfour, Mar 30, 2020
  4. Total loss of hard drive after downloading and installing windows 10 updates. March 2020

Windows 10 forced download

To stop the download, uninstall the KB3035583 update (under "Control Panel > Windows Update > Installed Updates").

To get rid of the C:\$Windows.~BT folder:
    • Right-click on your C: drive.
    • Select "Properties".
    • Click on [ Disk Cleanup ]
    • After the initial scan: If you have a [ Clean up system files ] button, click it and wait for the second scan to finish.
    • Scroll down the list and look for "Temporary Windows installation files" (its size should be in the gigabytes range); check the box.
    • Click on [ OK ] to start the clean-up.

Static~Charge, Mar 30, 2020
Thema:

Total loss of hard drive after downloading and installing windows 10 updates. March 2020

1. Total loss of hard drive after downloading and installing windows 10 updates. March 2020 - Similar Threads - Total loss hard

2. Win 10 Updates March 2020

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Updates March 2020: Hi Rather desperate. Auto updates following the 2019 updates have caused bad problems. Lose my desktop and all icons, photos, apps. Nightmare. Have to formerly log in to Google, Malwarebytes, True Key and Mcafee. I then have to wait for emails to allow me to log in to these...
  3. Loss of Audio after update April 5, 2020

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Loss of Audio after update April 5, 2020: After the latest update installed, my computer lost the audio from the motherboard X470 Gaming Pro Carbon AC. It uses Realtek and Nahimic drivers. I unistalled the drivers and reinsyalled the latest drivers, all to no avail. No sound. Windows keep sayin there are no...
  4. Windows 10 machine crashing after March 2020 updates

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 machine crashing after March 2020 updates: Hi, Windows 10 machine crashing very often after installing March 2020 windows updates. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-machine-crashing-after-march-2020/e87635c8-4c5e-46f8-9355-e6c6959abccd
  5. Update issue with Windows 10 on March 14, 2020

in Windows 10 Customization
    Update issue with Windows 10 on March 14, 2020: When i logon to my PC it no longer has my "user" as default settingsAs in my desktop is gone, Chrome is no longer default browser and all taskbar icons are gone. Apps/Programs have been deleted. All Favorites in Bookmark had disappeared To find my files, must go to My...
  6. Restore Windows 10 March 2020

Restore Windows 10 March 2020: I cannot reinstall/restore Windows 10 on my Dell. When windows becomes very slow etc I have, in the past reinstalled the system without keeping any of my files, a nice new fresh start. This has previously worked a treat, but this time, after going in circles a few times I am...
  7. Windows Updates March 2020

Windows Updates March 2020: Are there plans to fix the UPDATE issues that I have read about? I am extending my 7-day WINDOWS UPDATE PAUSE on the 21st if I cannot find a solution. My update did a total HANG for hours so I stopped it and then paused the updates for this month. Thanks for any...
  8. windows 10 update march 2020 - Audio problems

windows 10 update march 2020 - Audio problems: Installed the latest version of win 10 and now have no audio what so ever. its not the first time and I have tried all of the usual tricks etc as I'm not a novice. Its happened on a gigabyte brix 4th gen of which I have 2 and its same problem on both. Its not the machines...
  9. Black screen after March 2020 update

Black screen after March 2020 update: My computer was beinf sluggish, tthen i noticed there was an uodate waiting, so I did an "update & restart". After restart, it asked me to sign up fir Microsoft settings as though I was a new customer and offered a spot to put in a Windows Key, or "skip for now". This is a...
  10. Hard Drive Space loss after expanding partition

Hard Drive Space loss after expanding partition: Okay I have a small problem. I have a 120 gig solid state hard drive, that I have my OS installed on (Windows 10) I was going to install windows 7 on a second partition on that hard drive, so I shrank the current partition and it gave me unallocated space. I had a...