Windows 10: Total Permissions reset for Windows 10 default permissions on local drive C:\. Icacls.exe...

Discus and support Total Permissions reset for Windows 10 default permissions on local drive C:\. Icacls.exe... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello I was trying to learn how to reset permissions on Windows 10 under advanced security. The owner of my C: was not my name it was listed as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Jonathan Lee jlee102, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Total Permissions reset for Windows 10 default permissions on local drive C:\. Icacls.exe...

Hello I was trying to learn how to reset permissions on Windows 10 under advanced security. The owner of my C: was not my name it was listed as Trustedinstaller, I wanted to correct this and made a change to my username that is the Administrator. Once this completed I was locked out of my task bar. I tried to use Icalcs to reset the permissions but this does not work.

Total Permissions reset for Windows 10 default permissions on local drive C:\. Icacls.exe... 39195e7d-53c6-4c40-9b4d-22bb42064609?upload=true.png

went to test a total reset under the Icacls.exe with admin this is the command what it does

Total Permissions reset for Windows 10 default permissions on local drive C:\. Icacls.exe... a4049d9e-a955-4fd1-b6fe-ee7e3d335100?upload=true.png

preformed icacls reset in powershell to test this functionality seems it fails for windows 10 preformed for each folder to reset them

Total Permissions reset for Windows 10 default permissions on local drive C:\. Icacls.exe... 6f063ce5-4145-47fd-9f96-ce99943e9ec5?upload=true.png

It ran perfectly to test this functionality

however..... no more task bar...

Total Permissions reset for Windows 10 default permissions on local drive C:\. Icacls.exe... c9f91379-0623-47a3-b475-8f13d5dcc697?upload=true.png

I ran SFC /scann now this did not fix it also reset the taskbar with powershell.

where is a total premission reset to default admin and users of windows. If this fails why do we have the option to change this under all of C:?

what is the reason we can change and take control of this over trusted installer if it causes system critical issues?

Icacls.exe failed to reset and fix premissions.

:)

Jonathan Lee jlee102, Sep 15, 2020
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Default drive permissions

Hi Jortus

If you need to reset default permissions on that drive, here are the steps:

Click your Start Button, then just type cmd

Form the resulting list, right click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as Administrator'

Paste this command into Command Prompt and press Enter

icacls "D:\" /t /q /c /reset

DaveM121, Sep 15, 2020
  3. Solaris17 Win User
    Windows 10 permissions...

How is the NAS on windows 10 Pro? Is it software or a share? Did you check ntfs vs share permissions?

Solaris17, Sep 15, 2020
  4. lx07 Win User

Total Permissions reset for Windows 10 default permissions on local drive C:\. Icacls.exe...

File permissions to delete file

@Hydrate, you must be careful with your suggestions.

No it doesn't. It replaces ACLs with inherited ACLs. A default Windows install does not take inherited permissions from root.

Again, no it doesn't. It grants full access to administrators group which Windows does not do and would be unwise to do.

There is no way (apart from a clean install) to reset default permissions any more.

If OP wants to delete a specific file a safer way would be to change the permissions on that specific file (by taking ownerhip and granting permissions) or use unlocker which will do it at boot.

Changing permissions on the whole C drive is a bad idea.

Thema:

Total Permissions reset for Windows 10 default permissions on local drive C:\. Icacls.exe...

1. Total Permissions reset for Windows 10 default permissions on local drive C:\. Icacls.exe... - Similar Threads - Total Permissions reset

2. Resetting ALL permissions to default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Resetting ALL permissions to default: I have been silly and played with the security settings on my Windows 11 laptopIs there some way to return ALL to a new build status ?ie Default everything without carrying out a rebuildI am being blocked from using many programs such as Ancestry/FTM because I am unable to...
  3. Resetting ALL permissions to default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Resetting ALL permissions to default: I have been silly and played with the security settings on my Windows 11 laptopIs there some way to return ALL to a new build status ?ie Default everything without carrying out a rebuildI am being blocked from using many programs such as Ancestry/FTM because I am unable to...
  4. To Reset Default user permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    To Reset Default user permissions: I want to reset all default permissions to my pc please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/to-reset-default-user-permissions/13ef7e2e-fad5-40f3-8b3c-f4beb09150f1
  5. Total Permissions rest for windows 10 default premissions

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Total Permissions rest for windows 10 default premissions: Hello I was trying to learn how to reset permissions on Windows 10 under advanced security. The owner of my C: was not my name it was listed as Trustedinstaller, I wanted to correct this and made a change to my username that is the Administrator. Once this completed I was...
  6. Default drive permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Default drive permissions: Greetings, Was trying to move some Steam games from C: drive to my D: drive but got the "Failed to add new Steam library folder" issue. So a quick Google search result told me that I have to go to the 'Security' tab on my D: drive and choose which 'User' I was and choose...
  7. C drive Permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C drive Permissions: By default all my software and games are installed in C so My Documents/Videos/Pictures are the default save locations for respective software/game. After the latest Windows update, any game I playalready played before starts from the beginning and if i try to save the game...
  8. C drive permissions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    C drive permissions: Any software or games I install, I install them in the default location C. if I am playing a game, the save files of the game by default gets saved in documents. Ever since updating windows, any software or game that tries to save something in documents is showing error. As...
  9. Reset Permissions of C:\ on Windows 10?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Reset Permissions of C:\ on Windows 10?: I reinstalled windows 10 after making the fatal mistake of taking ownership of C:\ then deciding to revoke access to everyoen (even trustedinstaller and admin) thinking it would go back to normal. Well now everyone has access to read, write and execute in C:\ despite some...
  10. WindowsApps reset default permissions

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    WindowsApps reset default permissions: Is there anyway to reset the permissions back to Account Unknown() for the WindowsApps folder? I wanted to have a look in it, I changed the ownership to myself and now I just want to reset it back to the default. The default was Account Unknown(sequence of some kind), but you...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ICACLS * /T /Q /C /RESET