Windows 10: Total space used in drive way more than the space used by all my files

Discus and support Total space used in drive way more than the space used by all my files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So, I ran a chkdsk on my E: Drive and noticed the used up space has suddenly increased. All the files collectively including hidden files occupy only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by vis-cracked, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Total space used in drive way more than the space used by all my files

So, I ran a chkdsk on my E: Drive and noticed the used up space has suddenly increased. All the files collectively including hidden files occupy only 37.5 GB data but the disk is showing 60 GB used space only 115GB free in 175GB drive. I thought there are probably some bad sectors in my drive, so I ran chkdsk again and got this:

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...

275968 file records processed.

File verification completed.

Phase duration File record verification: 1.72 seconds.

10 large file records processed.

Phase duration Orphan file record recovery: 0.00 milliseconds.

0 bad file records processed.

Phase duration Bad file record checking: 0.20 milliseconds.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...

64 reparse records processed.

295968 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.

Phase duration Index verification: 7.07 seconds.

0 unindexed files scanned.

Phase duration Orphan reconnection: 39.96 milliseconds.

0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.

Phase duration Orphan recovery to lost and found: 0.67 milliseconds.

64 reparse records processed.

Phase duration Reparse point and Object ID verification: 2.71 milliseconds.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...

Security descriptor verification completed.

Phase duration Security descriptor verification: 3.34 milliseconds.

10001 data files processed.

Phase duration Data attribute verification: 0.27 milliseconds.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...

8875768 USN bytes processed.

Usn Journal verification completed.

Phase duration USN journal verification: 23.86 milliseconds.

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ...

275952 files processed.

File data verification completed.

Phase duration User file recovery: 2.31 minutes.

Stage 5: Looking for bad, free clusters ...

30268364 free clusters processed.

Free space verification is complete.

Phase duration Free space recovery: 0.00 milliseconds.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.

No further action is required.

183654399 KB total disk space.

62153028 KB in 264639 files.

71640 KB in 10002 indexes.

0 KB in bad sectors.

356275 KB in use by the system.

65536 KB occupied by the log file.

121073456 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.

45913599 total allocation units on disk.

30268364 allocation units available on disk.

Total duration: 2.46 minutes 147902 ms.

It says there are no bad sectors, and no other problems with the file system, but the space is still occupied by.. something?... Is there anyway to free up this space???

:)

vis-cracked, Dec 23, 2020

2. Discrepancy between 'Used Space' on C drive and total of actual folders/files

According to 'Properties' in Windows Explorer, my C drive (one of four partitions on my primary drive) has 296GB 'Used Space' and 272GB 'Free Space', giving a total partition size of 568GB. However, if I add up the total space occupied by all the folders
    and files on C drive that are listed in Windows Explorer they come to roughly 44GB. (The largest folder is Windows (19.5GB), followed by Users (9GB) and Program Files (5.8GB). The rest of the folders are smaller than this.). Nearly all my applications, data,
    photos, videos, backups etc are on the other three partitions on the primary hard drive or on a secondary internal hard drive.

Can anyone suggest what accounts for the HUGE discrepancy between the reported 'Used Space' and the total of the actual folders/files? I first noticed this when backing up my C drive using Acronis TrueImage, which yields a back up file of 218GB - presumably
    the 296GB with some compression. A few months back I recall that the Acronis backup files were sized at around 60-70GB, so there's something funny going on! If there is some giant folder or file that is lurking on my C drive, what could it be and why isn't
    it showing up in Windows Explorer?

Peter Brigg, Dec 23, 2020
  3. empty the space in C drive

I am using windows 10 . C drive shows only around 600 mb free space and 276 gb used.

In fact when we open C drive and check all subfolders where total space used is only around 50 gb

I dont understand where the other space is used. Please suggest how to get back the free space

sunilshah17, Dec 23, 2020
  4. Total space used in drive way more than the space used by all my files

Unallocated Space to C Drive

Thanks

realtravisbrown92, Dec 23, 2020
Thema:

Total space used in drive way more than the space used by all my files

1. Total space used in drive way more than the space used by all my files - Similar Threads - Total space used

2. Used space is more than size of all files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Used space is more than size of all files: Problem occurs on my C drive 400GB SSD. It shows 210GB of used space, but the files including hidden occupy only ~110GB. My system protection is set to 2% and occupies only 2.6GB. I already used disk clean-up and there is only 10MB left to clean.What can be taking up the...
  3. Used space is more than size of all files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Used space is more than size of all files: Problem occurs on my C drive 400GB SSD. It shows 210GB of used space, but the files including hidden occupy only ~110GB. My system protection is set to 2% and occupies only 2.6GB. I already used disk clean-up and there is only 10MB left to clean.What can be taking up the...
  4. Used space is more than size of all files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. C: drive is showing more used up space than the space occupied by files combined

C: drive is showing more used up space than the space occupied by files combined: Recently, My C: drive folder of 255 Gb space is showing 3 Gb space remaining. So, to reduce the space I tried options like disk cleanup, drive optimization, clearing up downloads, uninstalling unused apps, etc. Still, the amount freed up was very marginal. I found this link...
  6. Used space of drive is more than actual usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Used space of drive is more than actual usage: I am facing the low free space of my C drive, But I can't find what actually consumes the free space. All tools I used to stat the space report me that there is only 51G used but the drive properties says that I have used 95G space.I have disable the system restore, page file...
  7. Used space of drive is more than actual usage

Used space of drive is more than actual usage: I am facing the low free space of my C drive, But I can't find what actually consumes the free space. All tools I used to stat the space report me that there is only 51G used but the drive properties says that I have used 95G space.I have disable the system restore, page file...
  8. Used space of drive is more than actual usage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. C drive showing more used space than the space occupied by all files inside the drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    C drive showing more used space than the space occupied by all files inside the drive: basically my c drive has 217gb storage ssd of which 103 gb is shown as used space . when I select all the files in c drive and check on properties only 40 gb is shown as size on disk .then i should have have additional 77 gb storage kindly help me windows 10 os...
  10. Hard drive used space more than doubled...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard drive used space more than doubled...: Can't figure this out. Have a Tablet 2 in 1 with W10 and 32GB SSD. Have not installed any programs. A few days ago the size of the used space on he drive was 7.8 now, it is 16.6GB. Any clues? 63598