Windows 10: Total system freeze/lock-up consistantly after 5 min idle

Discus and support Total system freeze/lock-up consistantly after 5 min idle in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Ever since (several times updated) v1703 my HP 840 EliteBook with powerful correct SSD and continually updated everything (incl. all drivers) will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Airider, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Airider Win User

Total system freeze/lock-up consistantly after 5 min idle

Ever since (several times updated) v1703 my HP 840 EliteBook with powerful correct SSD and continually updated everything (incl. all drivers) will totally freeze/lock-up the entire system including the clock after 5 minutes idle (moving the cursor will reset the time limit). This also happens if it is in Sleep mode. The physical off-button and then starting always fixes it. Reliability history ALWAYS shows DIFFERENT paths and DIFFERENT failure "causes".

I have followed basically ALL the available online advice and the only cure I have not tried is disabling C-states in the (also updated) BIOS because there is no way to get into that in this HP device/BIOS. I have noted that many users have similar problems and that MS pussyfoots around but has no real idea (so there is no point in a re-install .... AND the problem started with v1703 and not with WInX Pro before that).

:)

Airider, Oct 11, 2017

2. Lost my phone. cant find it anymore since sim may have been replaced.

It was set to lock automatically after 5 mins of idle time.

impccblds0rdr, Oct 11, 2017
  3. GotAcer Win User
    Security lock

I set up a push mail function in my Acer Neo Touch WM6.5 to receive company emails. My company has also imposed security policy in my device, that is enter passwords when the phone is idle for 10 mins. From "system" - "lock" , I can only choose the
    lock time ranging from minimum 0 min to maximum 10 mins. Is there a way to lengthen the idle time, say 1 hours?

GotAcer, Oct 11, 2017
  4. Total system freeze/lock-up consistantly after 5 min idle

Caledon Ken, Oct 11, 2017
  5. AndreTen Win User
    It looks like wrong power saving settings to me. Check the HP support site and search for any System specific updates. These are custom HP power saving settings. I have HP pro, not Elite, so not familiar with specific file.

Did you load these settings?

Total system freeze/lock-up consistantly after 5 min idle [​IMG]

Edit: and do you have any new USB gizmos attached?

AndreTen, Oct 12, 2017
  6. Airider Win User
    On this HP 840 G2 I am only allowed the following options re: interacting with BIOS (none of which let me access the C-states):

1. Update System BIOS

This I have done: BIOS M71 Ver. 01.21 / Release date 07/13/17

2. Boot Options

3. BIOS Power-On

Further, I am extremely reluctant to modify the C-states because I do NOT want to stress the machine by continually using too much power in ANY case!! (use it a lot, maybe 10 hrs/day: prefer just to turn off and re-start when it freezes)

However I did run across a way to modify the power within WinX Pro and I tried this .... which did not fix anything so I set it back to its default >

system & security / power options / change plan settings
    change advanced power settings/ PCI express
    expand link state power management/ turn OFF) >>

NOTE both were and are now again "Moderate Power Savings" (lspm)

Airider, Oct 12, 2017
  7. Airider Win User
    I don't know how to find that in HP Support Assistant

All I found was Support Search Results | HP® Customer Support
    settings update windows 10 v1703 HP 840 G2&filter=-1&client=HPSA&product=7343207

ANYWAY it all worked PERFECTLY with WinX before v1703!! (and I am not the only user with this CONTINUAL freezing/lock-up issue)

Airider, Oct 12, 2017
  8. AndreTen Win User

AndreTen, Oct 12, 2017
  9. Airider Win User
    Thanks MUCH, André !

Had to easily change page from Win 8 to 10, have downloaded & installed. Will re-boot and see wha' happens; if fixed will post!

Airider, Oct 12, 2017
  10. Airider Win User
    Power Options before I did this only showed the MS power plans, nothing about HP, and I had set it to
    Balanced (recommended)

Now it is >

Total system freeze/lock-up consistantly after 5 min idle [​IMG]

now I will "Hide additional plans"

Airider, Oct 12, 2017
  11. AndreTen Win User
    OK, hope it will work.

AndreTen, Oct 12, 2017
  12. Airider Win User
    Well it got past the 5 min mark to 8 min in idle w/o freezing, but I'll wait a few days before considering it solved. Am sure the notebook is long-term happier with optimized power settings anyway ....

Airider, Oct 12, 2017
  13. Airider Win User

Well it got past 5 min, but it froze at 10 min. Am sure the new power setting is good for the computer, but does not solve the freezing problem, though it came out of re-start better: if Firefox was running (since and ONLY since v1703 this computer freezes when NOTHING is running, no apps or programs) it would before come out full-screen, then have to be lowered so it could be reduced and then turned off, etc. And NO Firefox crash-report, because FF did not freeze ... the entire SYSTEM did.

Also when there's a problem often the sound would not run and then the computer would need to be shut down (NOT "re-start"!!) and started again or Defender would NOT go into Periodic Scanning and I would have to turn the machine on and off several times or use System Restore to get Periodic Scanning back (I use KIS -- no problems with it before v1703, no problems now except getting it "accepted" after a freeze-required re-start-- and will not go on the Internet without it, PERIOD!)

But this time no problems when re-starting after the freeze

Problem NOT solved *Wink

"Nice try but no cigar"

Airider, Oct 12, 2017
  14. AndreTen Win User
    In the first post, you mentioned, that you have tried many things to resolve this issue. Do you remember any of them?

I would take next steps...

- run sfc /scannow (in administrator command prompt)
    - run powercfg /energy and inspect results for any problems
    - check Reliability history for errors (in Control panel System and Maintenance)

report your findings. If you need extra instructions just ask *Smile

Some additional things to check: hibernation file could be corrupted:

-turn of hibernation with running command (in administrator command prompt)
    restart and run same command with "on" at the end to reenable hibernation

-disable "fast startup" no need for it with SSD and often casing problems

AndreTen, Oct 12, 2017
  15. Airider Win User
    Have done all those. Fast start up was disabled, but still enabled in "not shown", io now disabled there too.

Have run sfc/ scannow more than a dozen times and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth almost that many. NO corrupt files ... but when I just now ran the restorehealth the system locked. Re-started, re-ran it and all OK

Am increasingly convinced or rather further/MORE convinced that this is an INHERENT bug in v1793 (no problem before that "update") related to me using Kaspersky (which I refuse to NOT use!!), Windows attempts to update Store items (ALL of which I do not use but cannot DELETE), etc.

Airider, Oct 12, 2017
Thema:

1. Total system freeze/lock-up consistantly after 5 min idle - Similar Threads - Total system freeze

2. Windows 11 gets locked after 5 mins of inactivity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 gets locked after 5 mins of inactivity: Hello!Checked all possible solutions, settings and registry entries, set everywhere 60 mins, still gets locked after 5 minutes. Computer managed by intune where admin set the corresponding policy to 60 minutes as well, but laptop gets compliance error.Any ideas, where windows...
  3. Windows 11 gets locked after 5 mins of inactivity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 gets locked after 5 mins of inactivity: Hello!Checked all possible solutions, settings and registry entries, set everywhere 60 mins, still gets locked after 5 minutes. Computer managed by intune where admin set the corresponding policy to 60 minutes as well, but laptop gets compliance error.Any ideas, where windows...
  4. System freeze up, no BSOD. Just total lock up Minidump included

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System freeze up, no BSOD. Just total lock up Minidump included: Hey All, I am having a very hard time debugging this issue. My system is locking up fully randomly, often when I have a youtube video playing, and a game open at the same time. Now I will list my system specs. This should not be an issue at all for my system.I run two...
  5. System freeze up, no BSOD. Just total lock up Minidump included

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System freeze up, no BSOD. Just total lock up Minidump included: Hey All, I am having a very hard time debugging this issue. My system is locking up fully randomly, often when I have a youtube video playing, and a game open at the same time. Now I will list my system specs. This should not be an issue at all for my system.I run two...
  6. System freeze up, no BSOD. Just total lock up Minidump included

7. Browsers break, then system locks, then reboot freezes - consistently

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Browsers break, then system locks, then reboot freezes - consistently: Either Edge or Chrome will stop loading pages. Could be either one or both simultaneously. And if it's one, the other will stop loading soon... but I can ping websites from the CMD window.The OS will then lock up if I haven't already taken action. The caps lock will still...
  8. Browsers break, then system locks, then reboot freezes - consistently

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Browsers break, then system locks, then reboot freezes - consistently: Either Edge or Chrome will stop loading pages. Could be either one or both simultaneously. And if it's one, the other will stop loading soon... but I can ping websites from the CMD window.The OS will then lock up if I haven't already taken action. The caps lock will still...
  9. Browsers break, then system locks, then reboot freezes - consistently

10. Total system lock up

in Windows 10 Support
    Total system lock up: Hello all, I have a custom built PC that seems to have quite a unique issue. (Or so google thinks) I am unable to load anything other than the bios. When i attempt to boot into windows the computer locks up. When i attempt to choose the repair computer in boot options...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the screen wont unlock when i oush control alt delete on my HP elitebook