Windows 10: Total System Freezes (No BSOD, Requires Manual Restart)

Discus and support Total System Freezes (No BSOD, Requires Manual Restart) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi everyone! Love to get some opinions on this! *Smile I wasn't sure where to place this as it isn't exactly a BSOD issue, so point me to the right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AnnoyedTiefling, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Total System Freezes (No BSOD, Requires Manual Restart)

Hi everyone! Love to get some opinions on this! *Smile
    I wasn't sure where to place this as it isn't exactly a BSOD issue, so point me to the right place if there's a better forum.

System:
    • Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
    • CPU: Intel i7-3770 3.40 GHz
    • Memory: Kingston DDR3 16 GB (4 x 4GB)
    • PSU: Seasonic Platinum 520 Fanless 520-Watt 80 PLUS
    • GPU: ASUS GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB
    • CPU Temps: ~38-40 C on idle.
    • Motherboard Temps: ~36-38 C on idle.
    • Win10 of course.
    • Not overclocked. BIOS reset to factory default.

The situation:
    • The entire system will randomly freeze. No BSOD. The only thing to do is do a manual reset.
    • Can be during a game. Can be just sitting around with a few explorer windows open. Can't isolate when it will happen. (Yet.)
    • Even froze during BIOS, though only once so far!

Extended Background (I include this for completeness sake):
    • Apparently was running as expected until one day it froze. No new hardware or software installed.
    • The problems first started occurring under Windows 7.
    • Exact same situation as with Win 10. Total system freeze.
    • By adjusting some settings I was able to get two BSODs. One indicated hardware failure, the other driver (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL).
    • Still under the impression it was a software issue I zonked ssd drive that had Win7 and installed Win10 rather than deal with it.
    • Next thought it was CPU overheating so installed new CPU cooler. Good results, -10 C on idle from before. Problems persist however.
    • As a result of the CPU cooler, everything has been reconnected and cleaned up.
    • Disk check of Windows SSD and other drives turn up ok.

Running memtest86 now, will update with results. I did a standard Windows Memory Diagnostic before, came out OK.

My current thoughts in order of likelihood:
    • Memory? I'll know for sure when memtest86 results are done.
    • PSU? It is a Seasonic but it's getting up there in age. (About 8 years!) I have heard of similar issues with a failing PSU but never experienced it myself.
    • SSD failure? I've never had an SSD fail before, could this be a symptom? The windows system SSD is also getting up there in years. (~9 years!)
    • Motherboard? Always a possibility. No red "help me" LED's are lighting up however.
    • GPU. It's the newest component so I'm thinking this unlikely. I've had GPUs fail before and they usually do it in a spectacular manner with pretty messed up artifacts. (GPU's show off even in death! *chuckle )
    • CPU overheating. I initially thought this was the issue. Installed a new CPU cooler and had a dramatic effect of -10 C generally. The CPU is running in the 40 - 50 range now. Seems a bit high to me but this is an old machine and not using water cooling.

Things I haven't tried yet but will:
    • Replace Windows SSD and see if problems persist.
    • Run everything without the GPU to see if it still freezes up.

Ever experienced something similar? Anything I've overlooked?

EDIT 1: Whelp, memtest86 froze! That's got to be hardware!! I'll attempt another test tomorrow. Up until it froze, no errors found. Not that it helps much! (Didn't even get 1 pass out of the way! *Confused )

:)

AnnoyedTiefling, Dec 21, 2020
  2. NetSurfer Win User

BSOD and freezing

Yesterday I started up my laptop from hibernating and it freezes, after restarting several times I get a BSOD which freezed on the BSOD one time.
    After restarting again the laptop freezed at the Welcome screen.
    I have had the freezing before, it was gone for about 2 months.
    I did not install any new hardware.
    Now it seems to run fine again.

But what is causing the freezing and the BSOD?
    I bought this laptop last January.

NetSurfer, Dec 22, 2020
  3. axe0 Win User
    BSOD or Total freeze, UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

If a clean install fixes the problem depends on if the problem is not on hardware level, a system freeze has pretty much the same causes as a BSOD
    • Drivers,
    • BIOS,
    • System service,
    • Memory,
    • GPU,
    • Software,
    • Power,
    • Cabling,
    • CPU,
    • Motherboard,
    • Incompatibility,
    • etc.
    The difficulty is that a freeze often doesn't leave trails behind, because the system can't create any.

4. Naki Win User

Total System Freezes (No BSOD, Requires Manual Restart)

GPU-Z 0.7.8 / 0.7.9 / 0.8.0 Bios reading not possible GTX670-solved with gpu-z 0.8.1

@Maban - does GPU-Z fail the same way for you the way it does for me? I.e. total system freeze/lockup, requiring a hard reset?

@W1zzard - I will try the suggested steps later today, as I am not near that PC at the moment.

Thema:

Total System Freezes (No BSOD, Requires Manual Restart)

1. Total System Freezes (No BSOD, Requires Manual Restart) - Similar Threads - Total System Freezes

2. System Full Freezes up and requires manual restart after prolonged use, but there's no sign...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Full Freezes up and requires manual restart after prolonged use, but there's no sign...: Hello! I've been having an issue for some months now where my pc will freeze after being on for awhile or while I'm in the middle of gaming after several hours and requires me to manually reboot.I've tried disabling Global C State in the bios, checking the health of my drives...
  3. System Full Freezes up and requires manual restart after prolonged use, but there's no sign...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Full Freezes up and requires manual restart after prolonged use, but there's no sign...: Hello! I've been having an issue for some months now where my pc will freeze after being on for awhile or while I'm in the middle of gaming after several hours and requires me to manually reboot.I've tried disabling Global C State in the bios, checking the health of my drives...
  4. PC Freezes forcing me to manually restart it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Freezes forcing me to manually restart it: My pc specs: OS: Windows Pro 20H2Intel i9 10900KRTX 3080 8GB Vram32GB RamMy pc freezes forcing me to restart it manually. At first i thought it was a problem related to League of Legends running in the background, because everytime the crashes happens the game is running so...
  5. Frquent freezing requiring restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Frquent freezing requiring restart: What can it be? It suddenly gets frozen and not even the pointer moves, I need to restart and lose everything I was doing. submitted by /u/qwak5 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mfigxd/frquent_freezing_requiring_restart/
  6. Freezing and restarting the system

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Freezing and restarting the system: My PC freezes suddenly and restarts. Can not get any idea form "Event Viewer" and "Reliability and Problem history" programs. Please help. Windows is up to date. [IMG]...
  7. Windows 10 Total System Freeze

Windows 10 Total System Freeze: Hi folks, Having issues recently on Windows 10 where my entire system will freeze up, but ONLY Microsoft stuff. This means my desktop, task manager, the task bar, Visual Studio, etc. Google Chrome remains totally fine and usable, as does Discord and others. The only solution...
  8. Computer freezes and requires restart

Computer freezes and requires restart: Sometimes, my computer freezes and requires a restart. For the past week or so, this has happened almost every day, sometimes multiple times a day. I have already scanned for viruses, but none were found. As far as I can tell, there is no common incident that causes this, it...
  9. Computer Stalls but no BSOD, requires manual reboot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer Stalls but no BSOD, requires manual reboot: Background: Over the past few weeks I've been getting crashes/BSOD, usually related to kernel-power/IRQL NOT EQUAL OR LESS. I thought it was my GPU since I didn't DDU when I first got it (went from AMD to NVIDIA). But I just got a BSOD today after DDU and when I went to the...
  10. BSOD or Total freeze, UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

BSOD or Total freeze, UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP: Hi, recently I've been having system crashes where the mouse just freezes and I have to hard restart / shutdown my pc. Otherwise the computer bluescreens and dumps a log. I have two copies of the last two cases of this BSOD pasted below. I have ran memtest64+ overnight with...