Windows 10: Total system writes on a SSD boot drive

Discus and support Total system writes on a SSD boot drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently got a m.2 SSD as boot drive. While going through its SSD's toolkit recommended by the manufacturer, I noticed that atleast 1GB of data gets... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RajarshiSardar, Aug 24, 2021.

1. Total system writes on a SSD boot drive

I recently got a m.2 SSD as boot drive. While going through its SSD's toolkit recommended by the manufacturer, I noticed that atleast 1GB of data gets written on every boot sometimes 2 or 5. I checked the resources monitor, it showed the system that is doing all the writing. So I'm kind of curious if this is normal or am I doing something wrong?

:)

RajarshiSardar, Aug 24, 2021

2. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Aug 24, 2021
  3. Clintlgm Win User
    Installing an SSD drive on my desktop to use as the C bootup drive

What are you talking about, I have Samsung 830 for 5 years and its still running great there is no issue with NTFS and SSD

To the OP all you have to do is use Macrium Reflect to clone your disk to your SSD you'll have to option to shrink your C partition before you start the actual clone check out this video
    it walks you through step by step

Clintlgm, Aug 24, 2021
  4. Total system writes on a SSD boot drive

how to change boot drive to ssd drive from system drive

My widows 10 computer crashed and would not boot. I lost my recovery disk and borrowed one from my spouse. Her system booted from a system drive while my system booted from a SSD drive. After recovering my computer, it no longer boots from the SSD drive.
    What is the best way to make the changes so that I'm back to booting from my SSD drive? I recovered all my lost files from a backup drive and the windows on the SSD may not be the same as on the new WindowsC: drive. I know that I can go into the BIOS and
    change the boot drive to the SSD drive, but I'm afraid that there is more to it than that.

JimMorgan7, Aug 24, 2021
Thema:

Total system writes on a SSD boot drive

1. Total system writes on a SSD boot drive - Similar Threads - Total system writes

2. system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.: Hi, Iam using Dell latitude 5400 i7 8th gen laptop. I got it with 256 GB m.2 sata ssd which was slower. so I upgraded to m.2 nvme ssd from Western Digital WD SN570 1TB SSD. I backed up my data from previous ssd and removed the old ssd and installed new ssd into the system....
  3. system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.: Hi, Iam using Dell latitude 5400 i7 8th gen laptop. I got it with 256 GB m.2 sata ssd which was slower. so I upgraded to m.2 nvme ssd from Western Digital WD SN570 1TB SSD. I backed up my data from previous ssd and removed the old ssd and installed new ssd into the system....
  4. system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Write-Protection Fault on boot SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Write-Protection Fault on boot SSD: I’ll try to keep this short but honestly there’s a ton to dig into here. Built my current PC last year, have had zero troubles with it. Boot drive is a Samsung Evo 970 1TB running Windows 10. Literally no problems whatsoever until today. I’m watching that Netflix documentary...
  6. Write-Protection Fault on boot SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Write-Protection Fault on boot SSD: I’ll try to keep this short but honestly there’s a ton to dig into here. Built my current PC last year, have had zero troubles with it. Boot drive is a Samsung Evo 970 1TB running Windows 10. Literally no problems whatsoever until today. I’m watching that Netflix documentary...
  7. Write-Protection Fault on boot SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. how to change boot drive to ssd drive from system drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to change boot drive to ssd drive from system drive: My widows 10 computer crashed and would not boot. I lost my recovery disk and borrowed one from my spouse. Her system booted from a system drive while my system booted from a SSD drive. After recovering my computer, it no longer boots from the SSD drive. What is the best...
  9. SSD Total Host Writes Decreased After W10 Refresh

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD Total Host Writes Decreased After W10 Refresh: After refreshing my Windows installation and configuring a new drive I've noticed that the total host writes on my SSD had decreased. I am using the program CrystalDiskInfo to get the values. I am using a different version of said program after refreshing the system so maybe...
  10. Does encrypting ssd add writes to the drive?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Does encrypting ssd add writes to the drive?: I don't mean after you encrypt the drive. I'm talking about actually encrypting a blank ssd, does the drive see that as writing to the cells in the drive, and count that to the number of total writes? 142058