Windows 10: Totally unimpressed by edge

Discus and support Totally unimpressed by edge in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; While edge may be rather "Spartan" (that was it's code name, it was intended to be a slimed down browser), and it does lack a lot of features you would... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by treads, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Mystere Win User

Totally unimpressed by edge

While edge may be rather "Spartan" (that was it's code name, it was intended to be a slimed down browser), and it does lack a lot of features you would suggest, the things you are complaining about are not actually missing.

I don't know what you mean by "paste and go". IE doesn't have this feature as far as I know. And if it did, it would be very annoying because I often have to paste url's and make changes to them before I want to "go".

The address bar is at the top. Not sure what you mean.

You have to enable the favorites bar, and it's horizontal. The favorites list is just like in IE, a sidebar. It's in settings.

not yet supported, but expect it (along with extensions) in an upcoming release in the next few months.

I don't know of a way to do this in any browser. Why would you expect this of Edge?

You can order the favorites, even in the favorites bar. It works for me.

Seems like you enjoy complaining before you've even looked to see if you can do something....

How many themes do you have in IE? Oh yeah, one.

How do you do this in IE again? You can't. Why are you complaining so loudly about things you can't even do in previous versions?

Mystere, Jul 30, 2015
  2. treads Win User

WHAT !!!!!!!!!!
    I can't believe u just wrote all that, you know nothing about modern browsers. Chrome. Opera, Forefox all have 'paste and go'
    you copy a url to the clipboard and instead of having to paste and then hit enter you just use paste and go and it goes straight to the url or does a search if its just text in the case of chrome.
    And I am not just comparing Edge to IE . I am comparing it to all its direct competitors.
    The address bar is not at the top of the screen at all, if u click (or double click) on the magnifying glass it changes position to the top, but for some reason it won't stay there. I am looking at IE 11 now and the address bar is a the top of the screen.

Have u never heard of fast dial? its when u a have a editable bunch of yr most used urls on the browser home page.

"Seems like you enjoy complaining before you've even looked to see if you can do something...."
    And it seems you are a complete MS sycophant who think everything they do is perfect. I have been looking at Edge and I am telling you, as many others will, that it is sadly lacking in its current incarnation.
    And I don't really care how many themes there are but for MS to give you the choice of just light and dark as if its some amazing ground breaking feature they've dreamt up is laughable.

Get this simple fact into your head. MS have been coding browsers for a long time now and each new edition they have released has been as underwhelming and devoid of imagination as the last. Edge has been billed as something fresh and new but it is clearly nothing of the sort.

Oh yeah and another thing, go into IE, select some text in a web page, right click and tell me what u see on the menu.
    In my version it says "search with bing" so that feature does in fact already exist in IE as well as other browsers.
    you're the one who needs to check your facts not me.

treads, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Mystere Win User
    When I paste in chrome, or FF, it just drops down the list and does not search until I press enter.

Magnifying glass? What are you talking about? Are you referring to the start page? If so, that only happens on the start page when it's at the very top of the page, all other times the address bar is in the normal place.

Edge has the "top sites" list, which is your most frequently visited sites.

The dark theme is not there for personalization. It's there to save power. On phones and battery operated devices, using a dark theme reduces the amount of power an LCD draws.

All new browsers start out underwhelming. Firefox did, Chrome did, IE did. It takes time for the software to mature. Just because MS has been building browsers for a long time doesn't mean a completely new browser can spring fully feature laden and mature on its first release. Edge is actually very impressive for a first release in many ways. Remember, chrome didn't have extensions at first either.

Nope, I don't have that. It must be an extension you have installed. So you should also check your facts.

Mystere, Jul 30, 2015
  4. wase4711 Win User

I tried to like Edge, but cant deal with all its shortcomings at this point..Was using cyberfox for awhile, but the endless Shockwave lockups/slowdowns were driving me nuts, so I thought, hell, lets try Google Chrome again, and all I can say is WOW!
    Hopefully, Edge gets better down the road, but for now, you really need to give Chrome a shot, for me, its far and away the best browser for my win 10 pro setup..

wase4711, Jul 30, 2015
  5. cluberti Win User
    Chrome is great unless you're on a mobile device. If you've got a huge battery on that device it might be OK, but Chrome is a power hog. I think this is where Edge can start to make inroads, assuming the development keeps moving along and making it a better browser release after release.

cluberti, Jul 31, 2015
  6. wase4711 Win User
    agreed; its weird how a browser that should be optimized for mobile devices sucks the life out of them..
    I use firefox on my Android phone, and now I use chrome on my win 10 desktop...go figure!

wase4711, Jul 31, 2015
  7. jds63 Win User
    Haven't tried using Edge enough yet to either praise or criticize it yet. Just install another browser or use IE, as it is still there and till Edge gets more updates then can see. I have Firefox, always liked it, not a resource hog like Chrome, seems some have issues with Chrome just being on forums.

jds63, Jul 31, 2015
  8. Totally unimpressed by edge

This is the worst stuff included in Win Ten: No possibility of adding extensions = fast contamination.
    I wouldn't allow any child to use Edge.

MikeMecanic, Jul 31, 2015
  9. Gary Win User
    Edge can be removed by using a Program Called Windows 10 Manager. In the cleanup section is a area where almost any Win 10 App can be removed.

Totally unimpressed by edge [​IMG]

10. jds63 Win User
    Just realized it's also default .pdf reader as i see no pdf reader on Windows 10 like Windows 8.1 Reader. Have to see if the Store has it or use Edge or get Adobe's free one.

jds63, Jul 31, 2015
  11. Search with Bing, or Google, or almost any other search engine is an extension approved by and made available by Microsoft in IE's settings. It's been there since the beginning. How can you not know this, and why should we extend credibility toward someone who says that with a straight face?

IgnorantOne, Jul 31, 2015
  12. It's the same in Chrome, if you import into the bookmark bar, you have to visit the website for its icon to appear.

Do you actually know what you're talking about? Highlight text, right click and select "ask Cortana", this is Edge's web search. Perhaps you should use this feature to look up what "facts" are.

Hmm, what's this funny thing?

Totally unimpressed by edge [​IMG]

fracking4oil, Jul 31, 2015
  13. Simba Win User

This is why I have stayed with Chrome all these years, syncs with my android phone as well.

Simba, Jul 31, 2015
  14. RonCFL Win User
    Yeah ...Looks like I'm not dumping Chrome anytime soon ... *Mad

RonCFL, Jul 31, 2015
  15. pmshop Win User
    To add with the not impressed with Edge, anyone else see this behavior?
    After upgrading from 8.1, I cannot log into Yahoo mail or any other web based mail.
    Once the user name and password is entered and I click Sign-In, the browser acts like I clicked refresh.
    User name and password are cleared with no error and a new ad is displayed in the case of my Yahoo mail issue.

pmshop, Aug 1, 2015
Thema:

1. Totally unimpressed by edge - Similar Threads - Totally unimpressed edge

2. TOTAL Adblock

in Windows 10 Gaming
    TOTAL Adblock: How do I remove the expired prompts? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/total-adblock/1c434334-c3e8-4236-9fb9-abdc44112628
  3. Restarted laptop, fingerprint, pin, Edge and more totally reset.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restarted laptop, fingerprint, pin, Edge and more totally reset.: Hi, I recently restarted my windows 11 laptop, but it seems the account, or account files where deleted? I immediately noticed that after the restart, my fingerprint scanner didn't work, neither did my Laptop's Pin. I was told that the device was offline, and it had forgotten...
  4. Restarted laptop, fingerprint, pin, Edge and more totally reset.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restarted laptop, fingerprint, pin, Edge and more totally reset.: Hi, I recently restarted my windows 11 laptop, but it seems the account, or account files where deleted? I immediately noticed that after the restart, my fingerprint scanner didn't work, neither did my Laptop's Pin. I was told that the device was offline, and it had forgotten...
  5. Edge totally ignores the ABOUT:BLANK GPO setting

in Browsers and Email
    Edge totally ignores the ABOUT:BLANK GPO setting: Do not get me wrong here, I like the new Edge Chromium, but if MS does not let users to choose whatever the New Tab content may be, then I meed to leave this browser and choose something else... I even downloaded the Edge policy templates and imported them into my local GPO...
  6. Total Meltdown

in Windows 10 Customization
    Total Meltdown: I purchased an HP in December and the start menus have not loaded. The touchpad does not work right. The other day the HP moved the cursor and made a change on twitter while my hands were more than a foot from the computer. I see something about resetting Windows that...
  7. HOW TO TOTALLY REMOVE MICROSOFT EDGE FROM MY COMPUTER

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HOW TO TOTALLY REMOVE MICROSOFT EDGE FROM MY COMPUTER: Just been forced to accept the latest version of Microsoft Edge. To say the least I am NOT happy with it at all as it has major conflicting problems with my existing set up. When I looked to "try" to remove it the "trigger" point is greyed out. - See Picture. - Also you...
  8. How can I totally disable MS Edge?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I totally disable MS Edge?: Techniques offered to prevent MS Edge from booting automatically failed totally. Now I want to totally disable MS Edge. I am fed up. refer to:...
  9. Total Defense

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Total Defense: I thought I'd be brave and try to install Total Defense's (paid) anti-virus program that works under Windows 8.1 It installed okay although did give me a warning about "some incompatability issues". On re-boot however the PC just "hung", my guess is trying to boot the...
  10. How do I totally disable Edge browser?

in Browsers and Email
    How do I totally disable Edge browser?: I thought I had disabled this browser when I setup my new Windows 10 OS upgrade. But every time I use Ccleaner I get a message that it is running and do I want to close it. So how can I get rid of this problem? 44609