Windows 10: Totally unimpressed by edge

Discus and support Totally unimpressed by edge in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; One thin I have to say, the Edge dark theme blends perfectly with the Ten Forums dark theme: ~ Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by treads, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Cliff S New Member

Totally unimpressed by edge

One thin I have to say, the Edge dark theme blends perfectly with the Ten Forums dark theme:
    ~

Cliff S, Aug 1, 2015
  2. jds63 Win User

Yeah, looks nice !! Been using that theme for now.

jds63, Aug 1, 2015
  3. KACI Win User
    This is obviously a topic people feel strongly about. There are parts of both side of the arguments I agree with. Does Edge have it's limitations? Most definitely. Should it have been released a lot more capable that it was? Probably. After all is there anyone that's made browsers longer than MS? They really should have it down by now.

Having said that I think, at least part of the issue, is MS's attempt to make a unified OS. Everyone admits that Chrome is a power hog, but it needs that to give it all its functionality. At this point I see Edge as a fairly barebones mobile browser that works "ok" on a desktop. Time will see if it works as well on mobile devices. In any case, its a compromise.

To be fair, the more I use it, the more I see how to do some of the things I want. Not everything, and I think getting it to do some of that stuff is a lot harder than it should be. Do you really need two different places to handle you favorites? I don't have near the requirements that apparently some do. A perfect browser for me would still suck for a lot of others. Which leads to the good point. No one has to give up the browser they like and are used to. If you like Chrome, keep using it. It will make you happier, and hopefully push MS toward doing better.

4. jds63 Win User

Yeah, good thing is they are all free, browsers, so pick and choose. I use 2 on mine. Have to admit, Edge is fast.

jds63, Aug 1, 2015
  5. Mystere Win User
    Reader is still there, it's just not the default PDF reader. Edge has its own built-in reader (which is probably the same code Reader users).

Adobe has a Store version of their reader, or you can install the desktop version of reader direct from Adobe's site.

Mystere, Aug 2, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    There is nothing in the settings that turns on this, and the extension does not come with IE. You must have added it at some point. Yes, you can disable extensions in MS's settings once you've installed them, but it doesn't come that way by default. Microsoft is not going to provide a "search with google" feature by default, that's just ridiculous.

Mystere, Aug 2, 2015
  7. jds63 Win User
    I do not find Reader in Windows 10 like in Windows 8.1, i tried. You know where except the Store ?

jds63, Aug 2, 2015
  8. Gary Win User

9. Mystere Win User
    You're right, I did a search and Reader appeared, I didn't look closely enough, this was an entry for the store. Looks like you have to download it (it's free).

Mystere, Aug 2, 2015
  10. From my first very quick impressions, Edge seems to basically be 'Internet Explorer Lite'. Nice pretty big slidey controls for the children to poke their fingers at, but with most of the underlying substance removed.

Compare something as simple as a right-click in IE (somewhere around 28 options on my system) to a right-click in Edge (3 options, missing even the most vital 'Save As' and 'Save Target As'). Then compare the amount of 'Advanced Settings' choices available in each program. And there isn't even an Alt-key menu.

In short, a nice little toy for using on a phone maybe, but currently utterly useless for a serious desktop user.

Andre

andrewilley, Aug 2, 2015
  11. jds63 Win User
    o.k. thanks, thought so as i tried several times even using context menu <open with> for a pdf. Decide on Store or use Adobe Acrobat Reader free

jds63, Aug 2, 2015
  12. CmmTch Win User
    Really needs an organized favorites tool, I have a lot of bookmarks and folder in folders. Edge wants to put the individual bookmarks at the top of the Favorites list, moving folders to the top works and they stay where you've put them, but if you slip up and accidently drop a folder inside another one instead of just moving to a new spot on the list there's not an easy way to get the folder back where you wanted it to be.

I've been using it more an more just to get familiar with it, and really hoping MS gives some of these issues attention for desktop users in future updates.

Hard to believe there couldn't have been an option "desktop" or "mobile" for the browser too.

CmmTch, Aug 2, 2015
  13. gator2013 Win User

I totally agree with this assessment. Can't simply Right Click and create a Desktop Shortcut of the page you are currently viewing. Just goes to show you Microsoft isn't all that interested in user productivity. MS has an agenda and I still think part of that agenda is to phase out the Desktop UI. I don't really care for the new Favorites interface either.

gator2013, Aug 2, 2015
  14. Mystere Win User
    I'm not sure what you mean. I have no problems organizing favorites. It's easy to move items between folders. Just drag it to the breadcrumb trail and drop it and it moves it to the higher level.

Like this:

Totally unimpressed by edge [​IMG]

Mystere, Aug 2, 2015
  15. Mystere Win User
    It's one extra step. You click on the ... in the upper right corner and "pin to start", then you can drag it from the start menu to your desktop if you want.

Mystere, Aug 2, 2015
Thema:

1. Totally unimpressed by edge - Similar Threads - Totally unimpressed edge

2. TOTAL Adblock

in Windows 10 Gaming
    TOTAL Adblock: How do I remove the expired prompts? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/total-adblock/1c434334-c3e8-4236-9fb9-abdc44112628
  3. Restarted laptop, fingerprint, pin, Edge and more totally reset.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restarted laptop, fingerprint, pin, Edge and more totally reset.: Hi, I recently restarted my windows 11 laptop, but it seems the account, or account files where deleted? I immediately noticed that after the restart, my fingerprint scanner didn't work, neither did my Laptop's Pin. I was told that the device was offline, and it had forgotten...
  4. Restarted laptop, fingerprint, pin, Edge and more totally reset.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restarted laptop, fingerprint, pin, Edge and more totally reset.: Hi, I recently restarted my windows 11 laptop, but it seems the account, or account files where deleted? I immediately noticed that after the restart, my fingerprint scanner didn't work, neither did my Laptop's Pin. I was told that the device was offline, and it had forgotten...
  5. Edge totally ignores the ABOUT:BLANK GPO setting

in Browsers and Email
    Edge totally ignores the ABOUT:BLANK GPO setting: Do not get me wrong here, I like the new Edge Chromium, but if MS does not let users to choose whatever the New Tab content may be, then I meed to leave this browser and choose something else... I even downloaded the Edge policy templates and imported them into my local GPO...
  6. Total Meltdown

in Windows 10 Customization
    Total Meltdown: I purchased an HP in December and the start menus have not loaded. The touchpad does not work right. The other day the HP moved the cursor and made a change on twitter while my hands were more than a foot from the computer. I see something about resetting Windows that...
  7. HOW TO TOTALLY REMOVE MICROSOFT EDGE FROM MY COMPUTER

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HOW TO TOTALLY REMOVE MICROSOFT EDGE FROM MY COMPUTER: Just been forced to accept the latest version of Microsoft Edge. To say the least I am NOT happy with it at all as it has major conflicting problems with my existing set up. When I looked to "try" to remove it the "trigger" point is greyed out. - See Picture. - Also you...
  8. How can I totally disable MS Edge?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I totally disable MS Edge?: Techniques offered to prevent MS Edge from booting automatically failed totally. Now I want to totally disable MS Edge. I am fed up. refer to:...
  9. Total Defense

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Total Defense: I thought I'd be brave and try to install Total Defense's (paid) anti-virus program that works under Windows 8.1 It installed okay although did give me a warning about "some incompatability issues". On re-boot however the PC just "hung", my guess is trying to boot the...
  10. How do I totally disable Edge browser?

in Browsers and Email
    How do I totally disable Edge browser?: I thought I had disabled this browser when I setup my new Windows 10 OS upgrade. But every time I use Ccleaner I get a message that it is running and do I want to close it. So how can I get rid of this problem? 44609