Windows 10: Totally unimpressed by edge

Discus and support Totally unimpressed by edge in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; It seems to me that MS is depending on users to help them in developing this browser by feedback and requested features. Why else would they release... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by treads, Jul 30, 2015.

1. KACI Win User

Totally unimpressed by edge

IMHO It's bare bones because MS is trying to make their software work across platforms. Edge as a browser is little different than what you seen on a phone or a tablet's browser. The Chrome you see on your phone or tablet isn't the same as you see on your laptop or desktop, both of which have more computing power. MS approach seems to be aimed at the lowest common denominator. Time will tell if it can be improved enough or is adequate enough for especially the more demanding desktop crowd. Being all things to all people is a tough goal.

2. sgage Win User

I share my annoyance with the all the sharp edges (no pun intended) and lack of features that folks are finding in Edge. The lack of ad blocking alone is rather annoying. But here's one that is really irritating, especially when perusing this or other forums.

Let's say you are reading a message thread, and you get about 6 pages in. Like I just did with this one. *Smile Now let's say you want to go back 3 or 4 pages, or to the index page of the forum, or somewhere you were before that. So you click and hold the back button and wait for a reverse chronologically ordered list of sites visited in order to zoom back. And nothing happens - you have to click the back button once for every page back you want to go, wait for it to render, and click again, over and over. Really obnoxious and inconvenient.

Edge seems more like a proof of concept or simple test bed for the new MS rendering engine. It should have been clearly portrayed as 'under development/not ready for prime time'. But MS trumpeted it as their awesome new browser. And so people are disappointed and a bit miffed. Bare bones is great, to a point.

sgage, Aug 8, 2015
  3. RonCFL Win User
    Well said ..
    I have many more "obnoxiousness" and "naggings" .. from edge and wds10 ..
    Just gave up ... rolled back to w8.1 with chrome .. happy now ...
    See you later wds 10 ..maybe after SP1 ..???

RonCFL, Aug 8, 2015
  4. RonCFL Win User

OMG ... you think all of the genius at MS never use chrome browser ...??? can't learn anything from that ...???
    And have to wait for inputs after put out UNFINISHED ... !!
    Can they just make it as good as that ... Already ..*Devil

RonCFL, Aug 8, 2015
  5. If Microsoft's intent was to get people to move from Chrome or Firefox then they have totally missed the boat. Edge is the worst browser I have ever seen. No way to export your favorites to a file in order to back them up. Favorites are stored in a hidden system file. I have Norton Virus and Edge is incompatible with it. A lot of my web pages will not load in Edge. I do not know what they did with IE 11 but some pages that previously loaded in Windows 8.1 with IE11 now do not load in Windows 10. I have a Zino account where you can read digital magazines such as PC World. Under Windows 8.1 I could read them in IE11. With Windows 10 all I get is a white page when I try to view a magazine. Had to install Chrome to view them. Beginning to think I should have stayed with Windows 8.1.

StevenTodd, Aug 8, 2015
  6. sgage Win User
    Favorites are not stored in a hidden system file. They are stored in an incredibly obscure subdirectory *Smile

C:\Users\(your name)\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\Fav orites

There they are, right there!

You do not have to use Edge, or any of the apps - I run strictly Desktop stuff, just a new version of Windows to me. I use Firefox - works perfectly. Thunderbird, ditto. Etc. It is possible to totally ignore the 'Modern Apps'.

sgage, Aug 8, 2015
  7. Torquemada, Aug 8, 2015
  8. Praxis Win User

I still use IE because Chrome or Edge doe`s not support Silverlight and I need that to watch BT Sport.

Praxis, Aug 9, 2015
  9. Frank1 Win User
    Me too! I trembled so much that I'm back using IE. At this point, I can see no reason to use Edge. By now MS has heard about what we don't like about it. Let's see what happens.

Frank1, Aug 9, 2015
  10. The feature of Edge that I found least believable is that you can't make new tabs open in a web page.

I do like one thing about Edge, it makes better use of the 'title bar' space which IE11 cleverly left blank.

markweatherill, Aug 10, 2015
  11. Edwin New Member
    If you 'wheel-click' a bookmark it will open in a new tab, it just won't switch to that tab immediately.

Edwin, Aug 10, 2015
  12. altae Win User
    To me this has been kind of obvious. Edge is nothing more than IE in a new shape. IE has always been terrible and inferior to any decent browser out there. Edge comes from the same developer (MS) as IE thus it is more than likely that it suffers from the same shortcomings.

altae, Aug 10, 2015
  13. wase4711 Win User

at this point, its even worse than IE ever was..I mean, you cant even email a link from it without copying, pasting, a link into your email program..some "modern" browser this is...I mean ISN'T...

wase4711, Aug 10, 2015
  14. Mystere Win User
    While Edge is derived from IE's trident engine, it is significantly faster, and more standards compliant. It achieves this, however, by sacrificing backwards compatibility with non-standard compliant websites.

Edge is actually very on par with chrome and FF in terms of browser rendering support of standards, although it's a little behind in some emerging standards.

You can go to the Edge Status Page to see what is and isn't implemented. You can also see a breakdown here:

HTML5test - How well does your browser support HTML5?

We can see that edge is still at the bottom of the pack, but that is deceptive. While IE had lots of quirky behavior, Edge does not. When it implements a standard, it implements it correctly. The difference in features is that Edge doesn't implement all the latest emerging standards.

Mystere, Aug 10, 2015
  15. wase4711 Win User
    irregardless of how it ranks against any other browser, or how it implements any standards, I bet if you poll 100 users here as to what is their default browser at this point, there wouldnt be more than 10 or 15 using Edge..
    I tried to use it several times over the last couple of months, but its just lame at implementing the things I use a browser for..

Hopefully it gets better down the road, as it is super fast, I will give you that, but, for power users, at this point, it doenst cut it..

wase4711, Aug 10, 2015
Thema:

1. Totally unimpressed by edge - Similar Threads - Totally unimpressed edge

2. TOTAL Adblock

in Windows 10 Gaming
    TOTAL Adblock: How do I remove the expired prompts? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/total-adblock/1c434334-c3e8-4236-9fb9-abdc44112628
  3. Restarted laptop, fingerprint, pin, Edge and more totally reset.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restarted laptop, fingerprint, pin, Edge and more totally reset.: Hi, I recently restarted my windows 11 laptop, but it seems the account, or account files where deleted? I immediately noticed that after the restart, my fingerprint scanner didn't work, neither did my Laptop's Pin. I was told that the device was offline, and it had forgotten...
  4. Restarted laptop, fingerprint, pin, Edge and more totally reset.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restarted laptop, fingerprint, pin, Edge and more totally reset.: Hi, I recently restarted my windows 11 laptop, but it seems the account, or account files where deleted? I immediately noticed that after the restart, my fingerprint scanner didn't work, neither did my Laptop's Pin. I was told that the device was offline, and it had forgotten...
  5. Edge totally ignores the ABOUT:BLANK GPO setting

in Browsers and Email
    Edge totally ignores the ABOUT:BLANK GPO setting: Do not get me wrong here, I like the new Edge Chromium, but if MS does not let users to choose whatever the New Tab content may be, then I meed to leave this browser and choose something else... I even downloaded the Edge policy templates and imported them into my local GPO...
  6. Total Meltdown

in Windows 10 Customization
    Total Meltdown: I purchased an HP in December and the start menus have not loaded. The touchpad does not work right. The other day the HP moved the cursor and made a change on twitter while my hands were more than a foot from the computer. I see something about resetting Windows that...
  7. HOW TO TOTALLY REMOVE MICROSOFT EDGE FROM MY COMPUTER

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HOW TO TOTALLY REMOVE MICROSOFT EDGE FROM MY COMPUTER: Just been forced to accept the latest version of Microsoft Edge. To say the least I am NOT happy with it at all as it has major conflicting problems with my existing set up. When I looked to "try" to remove it the "trigger" point is greyed out. - See Picture. - Also you...
  8. How can I totally disable MS Edge?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I totally disable MS Edge?: Techniques offered to prevent MS Edge from booting automatically failed totally. Now I want to totally disable MS Edge. I am fed up. refer to:...
  9. Total Defense

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Total Defense: I thought I'd be brave and try to install Total Defense's (paid) anti-virus program that works under Windows 8.1 It installed okay although did give me a warning about "some incompatability issues". On re-boot however the PC just "hung", my guess is trying to boot the...
  10. How do I totally disable Edge browser?

in Browsers and Email
    How do I totally disable Edge browser?: I thought I had disabled this browser when I setup my new Windows 10 OS upgrade. But every time I use Ccleaner I get a message that it is running and do I want to close it. So how can I get rid of this problem? 44609