Windows 10: Totally unimpressed by edge

Discus and support Totally unimpressed by edge in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; To me this has been kind of obvious. Edge is nothing more than IE in a new shape. IE has always been terrible and inferior to any decent browser out... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by treads, Jul 30, 2015.

1. RonCFL Win User

Totally unimpressed by edge

Just very very curious ... i think there are whole lot of GENIUS at MS ... why can't they see this ...???
    did they even tested ..???
    OR they don't give a darm ...
    I can guaranty .. most of MS employees using Chrome at home .... If not ..they are just incompetent .. *Mad

RonCFL, Aug 10, 2015

2. Use Chrome and Cyberfox, I removed it from windows features...

python134r, Aug 10, 2015
  3. Mystere Win User
    I was responding to the claim that Edge was just IE in a different skin, and had all the same rendering and standards problems of IE. It's not, and it doesn't.

You are complaining about things that have nothing to do with its primary function... to render HTML content. While these are important too, they are nothing if the base renderer isn't solid, and that's what MS has been focusing on.

Mystere, Aug 10, 2015
  4. Victek Win User

Yes, I feel it's fair to say that it wasn't ready to be released as the default browser, but apparently it was more important to put IE in the past. I am waiting for extension support to be implemented and essential extensions, such as LastPass and Adblock PLus, etc, to become available. Then we'll see how Edge compares with Firefox and Chrome, etc.

Victek, Aug 10, 2015
  5. Cliff S New Member
    What I absolutely dislike about Edge, is no matter how often, I attempt to set the forums default to WYSIWYG and SAVE IT, it defaults back to Standard Editor*Mad. I spend a lot of time here, and get tired of having to click A/A to write a post, so I prefer IE11.

And Mystere on this one I must disagree with you(although the cause of it being a tad slower than IE could be, that I'm not using it enough, so it's cache and temp files are not built up enough(I almost never delete these, except when having browser ´problems)). But rendering is much better in any case. Picture quality is tops

But like I said :No WYSIWYG>>>No use to me!

Cliff S, Aug 10, 2015
  6. wase4711 Win User
    no one uses a browser anymore based on how it handles its "primary function"...
    it has to be adept at doing all or most of the things that folks use a browser for now a days, and, at this point, Edge is NOT adept at most of those things..

wase4711, Aug 10, 2015
  7. Mystere Win User
    That's not Edge, or even Edge's fault. The Forum administrators have deliberately set this format for Edge users because the WYSIWYG editor is not compatible with Edge. Again, not Edge's fault. The Editor does a lot of fancy tricks to be WYSIWYG, and some of them are not standards compliant. The problem is with the forum software, not Edge.

Virtually every test has shown that Edge is 2x faster than IE in almost everything. Plus it uses significantly less memory (which is important if you're like me and always have 20 or 30 tabs open).

Mystere, Aug 10, 2015
  8. Traijan Win User

Oh I'm glad that I came back to this topic, I didn't know that Tenforums had any themes installed and every since getting cataracts in both eyes, bright white simply is painful to look at on the computer (the cataracts were removed but the sensitivity to bright white stays with me). Now I've got the dark wide theme going and my eyes thank you.

Traijan, Aug 10, 2015
  9. Cliff S New Member
    is not compatible with Edge=Edge's fault in my book. If a software is missing something, that users either use regularly or need, then it's incomplete.

Virtually every test has shown that Edge is 2x faster than IE in almost everything= Benchmarking means VERY little, in day to day use. Like using RAPID Mode is great for benchmarks, but since I can't use it in Win10, I don't even notice that it's not on.

The first point is my only gripe though. Maybe there will be an add-on for such things later, although I don't really like using add-ons myself as they can be a security risk.

I really want to use Edge in the future as my prime browser out of security reasons, I do use it to browse, just not in the forums so much, it still needs work.

One positive thing about it, It has not crashed or frozen on me yet*Smile.

Cliff S, Aug 10, 2015
  10. Cliff S New Member
    You're welcome*Smile. I like using the dark theme in the evenings or morning just after waking up myself.

Cliff S, Aug 10, 2015
  11. Mystere Win User
    No, you misunderstand. It's not that Edge is missing anything. It's that the Forum software authors were too smart for their own good, and they put hacks in to adjust for.. ahem.. deficiencies in older versions of Internet Explorer. The software still thinks it's working with IE and tries to use those hacks with Edge, and they don't work.

If, on the other hand, the forum software treated Edge like it does Chrome, then it would work correctly. It's only because it's trying to adjust for problems that no longer exist that there is a problem.

To put this another way. Let's say you weighed 300 pounds. Then, you went on a diet and lost all the extra weight, but everyone was still treating you like a 300 pound person, would only sell you clothing in sizes of 3 or 4X, wouldn't let you do things normal people could do, etc...

That's basically what's going on, because the forum software doesn't recognize Edge, and treats it like an old IE.

Mystere, Aug 10, 2015
  12. Cliff S New Member
    Oh, OK I understand now, thank you*Smile I'll just have to adapt and click the Source Mode Editor to post.

And of course, fill that cache and temp files with my favorite sites*Biggrin to speed it up!

Cliff S, Aug 10, 2015
  13. sgage Win User

I think they are well aware of all the issues we are discussing here - heck, I gave tons of feedback all during the Insiders Program period, along with many, many others.

I think the problem is simply that, though the rendering engine was in good shape, the browser as a whole simply isn't finished. The big mistake, IMO, was claiming it was.

sgage, Aug 10, 2015
  14. Mystere Win User
    Huh? Microsoft has said, essentially, that Windows will "never be finished", so where exactly did they say it was?

Mystere, Aug 10, 2015
  15. sgage Win User
    They trumpeted their great new Edge Browser as the replacement for IE, implying that it was relatively feature-complete. No, they didn't say 'check out our totally complete and finished for all times Edge browser', but that is hardly the point.

Yes, Windows will never be 'finished', as it were, but releasing a bare-bones and rather limited browser has left a lot of people very disappointed, and if you've been reading this and other threads, you know that it's already getting a less-than-stellar reputation. I think that could have been avoided with a bit more candor about just where Edge was in its development.

sgage, Aug 11, 2015
Thema:

1. Totally unimpressed by edge - Similar Threads - Totally unimpressed edge

2. TOTAL Adblock

in Windows 10 Gaming
    TOTAL Adblock: How do I remove the expired prompts? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/total-adblock/1c434334-c3e8-4236-9fb9-abdc44112628
  3. Restarted laptop, fingerprint, pin, Edge and more totally reset.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restarted laptop, fingerprint, pin, Edge and more totally reset.: Hi, I recently restarted my windows 11 laptop, but it seems the account, or account files where deleted? I immediately noticed that after the restart, my fingerprint scanner didn't work, neither did my Laptop's Pin. I was told that the device was offline, and it had forgotten...
  4. Restarted laptop, fingerprint, pin, Edge and more totally reset.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restarted laptop, fingerprint, pin, Edge and more totally reset.: Hi, I recently restarted my windows 11 laptop, but it seems the account, or account files where deleted? I immediately noticed that after the restart, my fingerprint scanner didn't work, neither did my Laptop's Pin. I was told that the device was offline, and it had forgotten...
  5. Edge totally ignores the ABOUT:BLANK GPO setting

in Browsers and Email
    Edge totally ignores the ABOUT:BLANK GPO setting: Do not get me wrong here, I like the new Edge Chromium, but if MS does not let users to choose whatever the New Tab content may be, then I meed to leave this browser and choose something else... I even downloaded the Edge policy templates and imported them into my local GPO...
  6. Total Meltdown

in Windows 10 Customization
    Total Meltdown: I purchased an HP in December and the start menus have not loaded. The touchpad does not work right. The other day the HP moved the cursor and made a change on twitter while my hands were more than a foot from the computer. I see something about resetting Windows that...
  7. HOW TO TOTALLY REMOVE MICROSOFT EDGE FROM MY COMPUTER

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HOW TO TOTALLY REMOVE MICROSOFT EDGE FROM MY COMPUTER: Just been forced to accept the latest version of Microsoft Edge. To say the least I am NOT happy with it at all as it has major conflicting problems with my existing set up. When I looked to "try" to remove it the "trigger" point is greyed out. - See Picture. - Also you...
  8. How can I totally disable MS Edge?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I totally disable MS Edge?: Techniques offered to prevent MS Edge from booting automatically failed totally. Now I want to totally disable MS Edge. I am fed up. refer to:...
  9. Total Defense

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Total Defense: I thought I'd be brave and try to install Total Defense's (paid) anti-virus program that works under Windows 8.1 It installed okay although did give me a warning about "some incompatability issues". On re-boot however the PC just "hung", my guess is trying to boot the...
  10. How do I totally disable Edge browser?

in Browsers and Email
    How do I totally disable Edge browser?: I thought I had disabled this browser when I setup my new Windows 10 OS upgrade. But every time I use Ccleaner I get a message that it is running and do I want to close it. So how can I get rid of this problem? 44609