Windows 10: Touch keyboard not invoking when I try to type in Google Chrome

Discus and support Touch keyboard not invoking when I try to type in Google Chrome in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello. I'm using a tablet for input on my windows 10 desktop pc and while the touch keyboard is invoked fine throughout the system and even Edge,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dream3, Dec 5, 2015.

1. dream3 Win User

Touch keyboard not invoking when I try to type in Google Chrome

Hello.

I'm using a tablet for input on my windows 10 desktop pc and while the touch keyboard is invoked fine throughout the system and even Edge, when I try to type stuff in Chrome, nothing happens. I have to manually invoke the keyboard via taskbar icon.

I do have a physical keyboard connected to the pc but as the tablet is placed in front of the keyboard, I want to keep using the touch keyboard.

Any idea how to fix this?If I remember correctly it worked just fine with windows 8.1.

:)

dream3, Dec 5, 2015

2. Keyboard not working on windows 10

when i try to type in microsoft edge or cortana or search anything the keyboard doesnt work but on google chrome the keyboard works perfectly and when i try to type anything in the wifi section it dosent work

ghassan1953, Dec 5, 2015
  3. windows 10

How do I Change Touch Keyboard Size in Windows 10? I updated my laptop and when I restarted it, the touch keyboard was/is so tiny that I cannot read it. BTW, I use google chrome.

michaeladams2, Dec 5, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

Tablets are not meant to replace the physical keyboard. There are keyboards out there that actually use a touchscreen interface, which are very expensive and will change for certain games. What you are trying to do, is like reinventing the wheel. There is nothing to fix.

bro67, Dec 6, 2015
  5. dream3 Win User
    I think we are talking about different things.

I'm very aware a tablet doesnt replace a keyboard but Ive always used it like that with windows 8.1. Now with windows 10 the touch keyboard simply wont show up when I use Chrome and that shouldnt be happening.

As I said, it works as expected with Edge and I dont want to change browsers because of what seems to be a minor bug or wrong setting.

dream3, Dec 6, 2015
  6. bro67 Win User
    It is because Microsoft has made drastic changes with 10 in both Security and interaction with devices. It is the same with Android OS and iOS.

We are not talking about different things. As I stated before. Your use of the tablet to replace the keyboard and mouse, is not what it was meant to do.

There is no bug in anything, but maybe whatever program you are using on your tablet to try and use as a replacement for your keyboard and mouse.

You like others have to look at the device you are using as the problem, not the Operating System.

bro67, Dec 6, 2015
  7. dream3 Win User
    So maybe I should ask this in the Chrome forums. There has to be a tweak to make it work.

dream3, Dec 6, 2015
  8. bro67 Win User

No. You should be contacting the party that wrote that app that you are using on your tablet or find a different one.

bro67, Dec 6, 2015
  9. dream3 Win User
    Oh man I knew we were talking about different things. There is no app at all. I'm talking about windows 10's native virtual touch keyboard, the one thats invoked in every touch-supported device running windows 8/10.

dream3, Dec 6, 2015
  10. bro67 Win User
    Yes we are talking about the same thing. The tablet uses an app to communicate with Windows.

If it works with 7 & 8 but not 10. Your tablet is the problem, not Windows 10.

I have been doing this stuff for over 35 years. You are trying to do something that is not normally done, which is why you are having the issue.

Once again it is the tablet that is the problem, not Windows.

bro67, Dec 6, 2015
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    I understand what you are saying. It's a programming issue with Chrome, and Firefox, and probably just about every non-Microsoft program out there. When you click in the address bar of Chrome, for example, there would have to be a routine that would run that would check to see if a physical keyboard is connected - if not then that routine would invoke the on-screen keyboard. That routine simply is not written into Chrome (or whatever program is not invoking the on-screen keyboard automatically). Microsoft Edge, at least, has that routine written in. Submit feedback to Google for Chrome.

The solution I use on my tablet is just to not auto-hide the taskbar and keep taskbar set for small icons. I've gotten used to tapping in the address bar of Firefox then tapping the keyboard icon on the taskbar.

Not sure if accessibility settings -> on screen keyboard would change anything or not, didn't think about that until just now.

NavyLCDR, Dec 6, 2015
  12. dream3 Win User
    Thanks, that's exactly what is happening!

The weird part is that it works okay and as expected with Chrome in my surface pro 2 with windows 8.1. Now I'm not sure if it's related to not having a physical keyboard connected to the Surface (and having one connected to my desktop system) or if it's an issue brought by windows 10.

If I'm not mistaken I used to do that fine before fresh-installing windows 10, but it was a long time ago and I might be confusing that with the Surface Pro.

dream3, Dec 6, 2015
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

There is a setting somewhere in Windows 10, I'll have to look when I get home, about when to automatically invoke the on screen keyboard, but I can't remember where it is without looking for it. Does not work in Firefox on my Nextbook Windows 10 Tablet, but does work in Edge.

NavyLCDR, Dec 6, 2015
  14. dream3 Win User
    How you found anything on the windows 10 settings? I've tried enabling a bunch of touch features in Chromes/flags but nothing worked.

dream3, Dec 7, 2015
  15. wrd2088 Win User
    Nobody has a resolution for this one (other than stop using Chrome )?

wrd2088, Mar 24, 2016
Thema:

1. Touch keyboard not invoking when I try to type in Google Chrome - Similar Threads - Touch keyboard invoking

2. How To Enable Touch-Keyboard Typing Sound?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How To Enable Touch-Keyboard Typing Sound?: So I have a question. Does touch-keyboard really have sound effects? So how do I enable that?, your answer will be greatly appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-enable-touch-keyboard-typing-sound/9afdc368-c6ac-4a07-ae9e-a7fe1b3a308b
  3. How To Enable Touch-Keyboard Typing Sound?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How To Enable Touch-Keyboard Typing Sound?: So I have a question. Does touch-keyboard really have sound effects? So how do I enable that?, your answer will be greatly appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-enable-touch-keyboard-typing-sound/9afdc368-c6ac-4a07-ae9e-a7fe1b3a308b
  4. Invoke snap layouts with a touch screen??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Invoke snap layouts with a touch screen??: Is there a way to use a touch screen to invoke the new snap layouts? When I don't have a keyboard attached, I'm a loss how to use the new layouts. I tried long pressing on the maximize/restore button, but it didn't bring up the snap layout menu. Any other ideas? Note:...
  5. Invoke snap layouts with a touch screen??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Invoke snap layouts with a touch screen??: Is there a way to use a touch screen to invoke the new snap layouts? When I don't have a keyboard attached, I'm a loss how to use the new layouts. I tried long pressing on the maximize/restore button, but it didn't bring up the snap layout menu. Any other ideas? Note:...
  6. Google Chrome to work better with Windows 10’s touch keyboard

in Windows 10 News
    Google Chrome to work better with Windows 10’s touch keyboard: Microsoft is actively contributing to the Chromium community and the recent commits made by Microsoft are supposed to improve Chromium browsers experience on Windows 10. According to the latest findings, Google Chrome will work better with Windows 10’s touch keyboard when...
  7. Windows 10's touch keyboard (not OSK) invoke via command line...

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10's touch keyboard (not OSK) invoke via command line...: Hi guys is there any way of invoking Windows 10's touch keyboard (not On-Screen Keyboard) using command line? Thank you. 126025
  8. Touch Keyboard closes after I type one letter

in Windows 10 Customization
    Touch Keyboard closes after I type one letter: Touch Keyboard closes after I type one letter. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/touch-keyboard-closes-after-i-type-one-letter/5a64ef32-b1bf-4b69-977f-5591183200e5
  9. Google Chrome touch issues under Windows 10

in Browsers and Email
    Google Chrome touch issues under Windows 10: Hi guys, I've just installed build 10041 on my Surface Pro 3 i7/256 and there seem to be some issues with Google Chrome. I've uninstalled the browser and re-installed, but to no avail... - There is no touch support at all, I have to use the trackpad or mouse - And the...
  10. unable to type in the sign in box on google chrome account

in Browsers and Email
    unable to type in the sign in box on google chrome account: I have installed google chrome onto my tablet in which i also downloaded windows 10. I can use chrome but i am unable to sign into my account. When i try to type my email and password, it will not show in the sign in boxes. I was able to before windows 10, so can someone help...