Windows 10: Touch keyboard won't stay on number entry in Excel

Discus and support Touch keyboard won't stay on number entry in Excel in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am having an issue specificly with the Mircosoft Surface's touch screen keyboard (the tablet touch keyboard, not the accessibility on-screen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Brian Haskell, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Touch keyboard won't stay on number entry in Excel

I am having an issue specificly with the Mircosoft Surface's touch screen keyboard (the tablet touch keyboard, not the accessibility on-screen keyboard). The keyboard switches back to the alphabet keyboard screen (which has no numbers) after using the numeric touch keyboard screen to enter numbers into a cell in Microsoft Excel and tapping enter or arrowing to a different cell. It makes entering numbersinto large amounts of cells very tedious. This appears to only be an issue with Excel. It does not happen in Word or any other program. It's as if Excel is telling the touch keyboard to switch back to the qwerty input screen after entering a value in a cell.

This did not happen before some recent updates. I received both Office and Windows updates right before this issue started, so I don't know which one caused the issue.

Someone else asked the same question here and was told to change numlock settings. This has nothing to do with NUMLOCK as that applies to physical keyboards. When using the physical keyboard, the numlock does not change while I'm entering numbers.

Someone else asked this question in the office forum (since it only happens in Excel), and they were directed to the Surface forum.

Would someone please be willing try to reproduce this issue yourself with a Microsoft Surface tablet with Excel with the touch keyboard, with all the current Windows and Office updates (the touch keyboard stayed on numeric entry until a recent update)?

:)

Brian Haskell, Nov 11, 2019

2. Windows 10 touch keyboard has stopped appearing

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

A quick question before we proceed:

What is the KB number of the update you have installed?

To know the KB numbers of the failing updates, follow the below steps:

• In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.
      • In the left pane, click View update history.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below to enable touch keyboard when there is no keyboard attached to the device.

• Press the Windows key
      or click on Start icon.

• Click on Settings.

• Click on Devices.
    • Click on Typing.
    • Scroll down and toggle on: Automatically show the touch keyboard in windowed apps when there's no keyboard attached
      to your device.

Method 2:

Follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Right click on the Task bar and select Show Touch Keyboard Button.

2. Open the Keyboard and close it (just to check if it’s working).

2. Next click on Action center and select Tablet Mode.

3. Once you are in Tablet mode, again Right click on the Task bar and select Show Touch Keyboard Button.

5. Open the Key board and check if it’s working in Tablet mode. Next check if it’s available on the task bar in both desktop and tablet mode.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Nov 11, 2019
  3. Touch keyboard pops up at login

If the above steps didn't work, we suggest that you disable the Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service. Please follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Services, and then press Enter.
    • On the right pane, look for Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service. Double-click on it.
    • Locate the Startup Type drop down, and change it to Disabled.
    • Click on Apply button to save changes.
    • Click on OK button to close the Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service
      window.

Let us know how it goes.

Janeane Cru, Nov 11, 2019
  4. Mon.k11 Win User

Touch keyboard won't stay on number entry in Excel

Touch keyboard pops up at login

Thanks for the help, this method worked.

Mon.k11, Nov 11, 2019
Thema:

Touch keyboard won't stay on number entry in Excel

1. Touch keyboard won't stay on number entry in Excel - Similar Threads - Touch keyboard won't

2. Touch Keyboard Won't Launch

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touch Keyboard Won't Launch: Like the headline says, when I click on the taskbar icon for Touch keyboard, nothing happens. This is true with keyboard type cover attached, no keyboard attached, and in Tablet Mode.The Ease of Access keyboard launches, but this is different. The Touch keyboard allows for...
  3. Excel jumplist entries won't stay pinned

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Excel jumplist entries won't stay pinned: I have moved my OneDrive folder from its default location to D: In my Excel recent files list I sometimes see two entries for a file One has the path D:\OneDrive etc and the filename includes the file extension The other has the path https://d.docs.live.net etc and does not...
  4. Excel jumplist entries won't stay pinned

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Excel jumplist entries won't stay pinned: I have moved my OneDrive folder from its default location to D: In my Excel recent files list I sometimes see two entries for a file One has the path D:\OneDrive etc and the filename includes the file extension The other has the path https://d.docs.live.net etc and does not...
  5. Windows 10 Touch keyboard staying in Caps Lock issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Touch keyboard staying in Caps Lock issue: To my knowledge this bug has never been fixed only numerous workarounds. The Problem When using any of the touch keyboards except for the standard keyboard e.g. mobile, split , fullstandard expanded more often than not using Caps or shift locks the caps on even if you...
  6. Touch keyboard (on screen) won't stay on numbers screen (&123 button)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Touch keyboard (on screen) won't stay on numbers screen (&123 button): Hi is anyone able to tell me a way to keep the number pad on the on-screen keyboard up. After a recent update last week my on-screen keypad reverts back to the letters screen each time I enter in a set of numbers. My job involves a lot of numerical data entry using a...
  7. Excel entry problem

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Excel entry problem: Good morning. I am running Win 10 ver 1803 and recently updated it. I have a problem never encountered before. My Excel worksheet does not allow me to enter a dollar figure. What comes up when I try is what appears to be a cursor flashing line. How do I fix this? Thanks. 119719
  8. Excel entry problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Excel entry problem: Good morning. I am running Win 10 ver 1803 and recently updated it. I have a problem never encountered before. My Excel worksheet does not allow me to enter a dollar figure. What comes up when I try is what appears to be a cursor flashing line. How do I fix this? Thanks. 119719
  9. Touch keyboard in Windows 10 laptop won't stay on top

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touch keyboard in Windows 10 laptop won't stay on top: Hello, I'm a university student and i often write papers in Russian and English. I have a regular latin keyboard so i have to get creative when using my laptop when writing in cyrillic letters. Windows touch pad allows me to write in any language and instantly assigns the...
  10. Touch Keyboard Missing Numbers on Ergonomic view.

in Windows 10 Support
    Touch Keyboard Missing Numbers on Ergonomic view.: On Win8 when you clicked ergonomic view for the Touch Keyboard (left and right keys are separated), it showed the number pad in the middle. On Win10 tech preview (build 10049), it is a blank space instead. This is absolutely rediculous, and makes typing passwords which...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. stay on numbers surface touchpad excel

2. touch keyboard numbers pad for excel