Windows 10: Touchpad behavior

Discus and support Touchpad behavior in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I need to turn off the functionality that selects or activates something when the cursor is hovering over it. I want to select or activate only when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BillKasdorf, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Touchpad behavior

I need to turn off the functionality that selects or activates something when the cursor is hovering over it. I want to select or activate only when I deliberately click.

:)

BillKasdorf, Nov 28, 2018
  2. nxavis9 Win User

I want to disable touchpad on Dell laptop

Hello everyone,
    My laptop's touchpad works and I don't want it to, because I prefer a mouse. It's a Dell Inspiron 11 3000 series on windows 10 OS.

What I have tried that hasn't worked:
    • start<settings<devices<mouse & touchpad<additional mouse options. This opens a window called Mouse Options which has 5 tabs up top, none of which involve the touchpad. The Hardware tab shows 2 devices: the mouse itself, and the USB. No touchpad there.
    • windows key+x<mobility center. No touchpad to be found.
    • various function keys. No options for touchpad on/off.
    • device manager<mice and other pointing devices. Again, only the mouse and usb show up. It appears the touchpad is working without a driver, which is a little spooky.
    Any other suggestions? I could try downloading a third party driver, but that seems like a step in the wrong direction.
    Thanks

nxavis9, Nov 28, 2018
  3. TouchPad problem

see attached screenshot of the keys after I re ran the scan

so i assume next steps are to have that program open that you suggested whilst using the laptop and then when the touchpad gets disabled to check if the keys have changed?

bartjunited, Nov 28, 2018
  4. Touchpad behavior

turn off touchpad

Thanks for trying I downloaded driver for touchpad, followed the steps you listed but it did not solve the problem - When I get to the last tab for the software, there is no checkbox for "disable touchpad if mouse is attached." I can completely disable the
    touchpad by system, and you, advised against this so at least I had the warning not to completely disable touchpad. I have tried the other options suggested but to no avail. Frustrating!

MonetteIrwin, Nov 28, 2018
Thema:

Touchpad behavior

1. Touchpad behavior - Similar Threads - Touchpad behavior

2. This device cannot start. Code 10 A request for the HID descriptor failed. ASUS Touchpad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    This device cannot start. Code 10 A request for the HID descriptor failed. ASUS Touchpad: I can not reactivate my touchpad.FA706IH is the model no.Things I Have tried-Uninstalling and reinstalling driver-Updating Driver-Disabling and Reenabling driver-Updating Windows-Resetting BIOSPlease help.Thanks....
  3. Touchpad behavior after connecting a USB device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touchpad behavior after connecting a USB device: I'm experiencing a very odd problem with my Dell laptop's touchpad.The touchpad works good when no USB devices are connected. I actually prefer disable acceleration setting, but once I connect one of my USB devices listed below, the touchpad behavior changes. I can feel that...
  4. Touchpad behavior after connecting a USB device

Touchpad behavior after connecting a USB device: I'm experiencing a very odd problem with my Dell laptop's touchpad.The touchpad works good when no USB devices are connected. I actually prefer disable acceleration setting, but once I connect one of my USB devices listed below, the touchpad behavior changes. I can feel that...
  5. Surface Pro 8 - Slim Pen as mouse has subtly different behavior than mouse or touchpad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Pro 8 - Slim Pen as mouse has subtly different behavior than mouse or touchpad: While the Slim Pen on my Surface Pro 8 is working mostly OK e.g. I can click onto objects or select things, I can nicely ink in OneNote, etc. there are a few odd differences between pen and mouse behavior:E.g. in the browser Edge one can normally press the left mouse button a...
  6. Surface Pro 8 - Slim Pen as mouse has subtly different behavior than mouse or touchpad

Surface Pro 8 - Slim Pen as mouse has subtly different behavior than mouse or touchpad: While the Slim Pen on my Surface Pro 8 is working mostly OK e.g. I can click onto objects or select things, I can nicely ink in OneNote, etc. there are a few odd differences between pen and mouse behavior:E.g. in the browser Edge one can normally press the left mouse button a...
  7. Surface Pro 8 - Slim Pen as mouse has subtly different behavior than mouse or touchpad

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Change touchpad 4 finger swipe gesture behavior

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change touchpad 4 finger swipe gesture behavior: I never use Virtual Desktops, so can I change the touchpad 4 finger gesture from switching between virtual desktops to switching between Virtual Desktops. I know that we have a 3 finger gesture but I want the animation from the 4 finger gesture. Is this possible?...
  9. Strange sporadic touchpad behavior

Strange sporadic touchpad behavior: I have an Acer W10 laptop. Approximately every 5 weeks or so, my touchpad suddenly becomes about 95% non-responsive. When I swipe on it, the cursor barely moves (maybe 1/8 inch to a full swipe). I end up plugging in a USB mouse. That works perfectly and if I restart the...
  10. touchpad scroll showing weird behavior

touchpad scroll showing weird behavior: My touchpad has the two-fingers to scroll a page thing enabled. I don't know why but it started showing weird behaviors recently. I usually use a mouse so I didn't notice till recently but every third scroll, the page scrolls in the opposite direction of the last two........