Windows 10: Touchpad can no longer be disabled after 29 August Windows update

Discus and support Touchpad can no longer be disabled after 29 August Windows update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Since I installed a Windows update on 29 August I have lost the ability to disable the touchpad on my HP laptop when I plug a mouse in. I have tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by HughColl, Sep 16, 2019.

1. HughColl Win User

Touchpad can no longer be disabled after 29 August Windows update

Since I installed a Windows update on 29 August I have lost the ability to disable the touchpad on my HP laptop when I plug a mouse in.

I have tried removing the drivers, uninstalling the device etc. but nothing seems to be able to stop the touchpad working.

Is there anyway to permanently the touchpad as I find having a "live" touchpad a major nuisance.

:)

HughColl, Sep 16, 2019

2. After Windows 10 update, can no longer disable touchpad. Please help

Hi Feisty

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about disabling the touchpad after Windows Update, do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Are you referring to November Update?
    • What is the make and model of your device?
    • Do you have any issues with functionality of Touchpad?
    • Where exactly were you trying to search for disable option?

This issue might have happened because of corrupted/ outdated touchpad drivers after the update.

If you are unable to access touchpad, I suggest you to connect an external mouse to try the below.

Step 1: Follow the below steps for search for the disable option and try to turn if off.

• Press Windows + X keys from the keyboard and click on
      Control Panel.

• Click on Mouse.

• On the Device Settings tab of the
      Mouse Properties screen, click the Disable button to turn off the Touchpad.

• Restart the system and check.

Step 2: Update the Touchpad drivers.

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Mice and other pointing devices.
    • Right click on each of the drivers and click on Update driver software.
    Also, try to search for the drivers from Manufacturer's website and try to install the drivers.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 16, 2019
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    How to disable the touchpad.

Hi Ralph,

There are a lot of factors for this issue to occur. To
    isolate the issue, we have some questions for you:

• Were there any changes made before the issue occur?

• What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

If it is a tablet, the touchpad will not be disabled as a design. For more accurate information, we suggest that
    you contact your manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how
    everything goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Sep 16, 2019
  4. Arjay Dom Win User

Disable touchpad

Hi,

Normally, you can disable the touchpad from Device Manager by follow the steps below:

• Go to Device Manager.
    • Expand Mice and other pointing devices.
    • Right-click on HID-compliant mouse and select Disable.
    • Click Yes.
    • Check if the touchpad is already disabled.

You can also contact the device manufacturer for further assistance if touchpad cannot be disabled.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Arjay Dom, Sep 16, 2019
Thema:

1. Touchpad can no longer be disabled after 29 August Windows update - Similar Threads - Touchpad longer disabled

2. Synaptics touchpad no longer working after updating

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Synaptics touchpad no longer working after updating: Hello, I just want to preface this by saying I'm not a really a techy person so I may not know all the terms and whatnot. Anyways, I had an old HP Stream 11 laying around and decided to update it to Windows 10. I updated it by downloading the update to a flash drive and used...
  3. KB4494451 Intel Microcode Updates for Windows 10 v1803 - August 29

in Windows 10 News
    KB4494451 Intel Microcode Updates for Windows 10 v1803 - August 29: KB4494451: Intel microcode updates Applies to: Windows Server 2016 Version 1803, Windows 10 version 1803 Summary Recent Changes Intel Microcode updates for the following products (CPUs) have been revised. We recommend that you install this update: Valley View Cherry View...
  4. KB4494174 Intel Microcode Updates for Windows 10 v1809 - August 29

in Windows 10 News
    KB4494174 Intel Microcode Updates for Windows 10 v1809 - August 29: KB4494174: Intel microcode updates Applies to: Windows Server version 1809, Windows 10 version 1809 Summary Recent Changes Intel Microcode updates for the following products (CPUs) have been revised. We recommend that you install this update: Valley View Cherry View...
  5. KB4494452 Intel microcode updates for Windows 10 v1709 - August 29

in Windows 10 News
    KB4494452 Intel microcode updates for Windows 10 v1709 - August 29: KB4494452: Intel microcode updates Applies to: Windows 10 version 1709 Summary Recent Changes Intel Microcode updates for the following products (CPUs) have been revised. We recommend that you install this update: Valley View Cherry View Haswell Desktop Haswell M Haswell...
  6. KB4494453 Intel microcode updates for Windows 10 v1703 - August 29

in Windows 10 News
    KB4494453 Intel microcode updates for Windows 10 v1703 - August 29: KB4494453: Intel microcode updates Applies to: Windows 10 version 1703 Summary Recent Changes Intel Microcode updates for the following products (CPUs) have been revised. We recommend that you install this update: Valley View Cherry View Haswell Desktop Haswell M Haswell...
  7. KB4494175 Intel Microcode Updates for Windows 10 v1607 - August 29

in Windows 10 News
    KB4494175 Intel Microcode Updates for Windows 10 v1607 - August 29: KB4494175: Intel microcode updates Applies to: Windows Server 2016, Windows 10 version 1607 Summary Recent Changes Intel Microcode updates for the following products (CPUs) have been revised. We recommend that you install this update: Valley View Cherry View Haswell...
  8. KB4497165 Intel microcode updates for Windows 10 v1903 - August 29

in Windows 10 News
    KB4497165 Intel microcode updates for Windows 10 v1903 - August 29: KB4497165: Intel microcode updates Applies to: Windows Server version 1903, Windows 10 version 1903 Summary Recent Changes Intel Microcode updates for the following products (CPUs) have been revised. We recommend that you install this update: Valley View Cherry View...
  9. New Firmware Update 18.07.20.1622 for Surface Pro - August 29

in Windows 10 News
    New Firmware Update 18.07.20.1622 for Surface Pro - August 29: On August 29th we released update for Surface Pro (Model 1796) and Surface Pro with LTE Advanced (Model 1807) devices running Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, version 1709 or greater to Windows Update. This update is now available in MSI format on the Microsoft Download...
  10. Keyboard & touchpad disabled after Win10 update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard & touchpad disabled after Win10 update: Laptop - ASUS U57A BBL4 Updated Win10 to Version 1607, build 14393.1066 Running: Advanced System Care, Bitdefender, & Malwarebytes External USB mouse Everything was functioning properly before the update. I've been running Win10 since it was released. After the update...