Windows 10: Touchpad not working. Tried everything I can think of.

Discus and support Touchpad not working. Tried everything I can think of. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi. I have a 2-week old ASUS UX333FN laptop that now has a trackpad that doesn't work. Everything was fine when I first got it, although there were... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by loamey, Aug 14, 2020.

1. loamey Win User

Touchpad not working. Tried everything I can think of.

Hi.

I have a 2-week old ASUS UX333FN laptop that now has a trackpad that doesn't work. Everything was fine when I first got it, although there were times when the trackpad would stop functioning when my laptop went into sleep mode. I could get the trackpad to start working again with a restart or two, but the problem occurred frequently enough that I decided to update the driver.

I downloaded the latest driver from the ASUS website, but that didn't resolve the issue. I eventually downloaded third-party apps Driver Genius, Driver Easy, etc. to see whether better drivers were available. Driver Genius suggested a new driver, so I downloaded that and it seemed to fix the problem for a while.

Fast-forward a few days, my trackpad stopped working again. This time, no amount of system restarts got it to work again. It was at that point that I started resorting to more extreme measures. I uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers from Device and I used Windows 10's Reset this PC feature. None of them worked. However, the first two times I tried reinstalling the drivers, my trackpad worked for around three seconds at the Windows login screen, but quickly stopped before I got to type my password.

The next thing I did was go into the BIOS. I disabled the trackpad once and restarted the machine, then I went back into the BIOS to re-enable the trackpad. That finally fixed it! And it worked as new for at least one evening. This event led me to believe that it wasn't a hardware issue.

Anyway, the next morning, after I started my laptop from Sleep mode, my trackpad had stopped working again. I tried the BIOS fix that worked earlier, but this time to no avail.

My trackpad has also disappeared completely from the Device Manager, and now I simply can't get it to work again. Scanning for hardware changes does nothing. For reference, this what the window looks like now:

Touchpad not working. Tried everything I can think of. c53c2a99-26fa-48f4-95e5-a9bfbb07c498?upload=true.png

The trackpad used to be under Human Interface Devices HID, labeled ASUS Precision Touchpad or something similar. There were also two other entries below it that have names I no longer recall. The current entries, as seen in the photo, under HID and "Mice and other pointing devices" are for the wireless mouse I'm currently using.

I've tried all the solutions mentioned above. I've tried installing older versions of the official drivers and ASUS Smart Gesture but the installer would present an error. I've also tried booting into Safe Mode with Networking, but it wouldn't accept my password.

I have two questions I need help with now:

• Is there a way I can rule out a hardware issue?
    • If it's a software problem, how do I fix it?

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

PS: My BIOS is the latest version, and I have the latest Windows updates. The function key that controls the trackpad is also not the issue.

:)

loamey, Aug 14, 2020
  2. Rhaine C. Win User

think my touchpad isnt working

Greetings,

My name is Rhaine, I'm Independent Community Volunteer. I’m so glad assisting you today

I am also using Windows 10 pc. Let us work together to sort this out.

You can refer to this link on how to fix touch pad issues with Windows 10

On Start , search for Device Manager, and select it from the list of results.

Under Mice and other pointing devices, select your touchpad, open it, select the Driver tab, and select Update Driver.

If Windows doesn't find a new driver, look for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow their instructions.

If those steps didn't work, try uninstalling your touchpad driver: open Device Manager, right-click (or press and hold) the touchpad driver, and select Uninstall.

Restart your device and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

If that didn't work, try using the generic driver that comes with Windows. Here's how: in Device Manager, right-click (or press and hold) your touchpad driver > Update driver software... > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of
    device drivers on my computer, select HID compliant mouse, select Next, and follow the instructions to install it.

Fix the Touchpad is not working by running the troubleshooter

Step 1: Go to the Settings app, select the Update and Security tab.

Step 2: Navigate to the Troubleshoot option on the left-hand side and select the Hardware and Devices to run the troubleshooter.

Step 3: This will start checking for the missing driver.

Step 4: Click the Next button to complete the Troubleshooting process.

Step 5: Restart your PC for the changes to take effect. Check whether the touchpad responds or not. If the laptop touchpad is working now, you’ve solved the problem.

If issue persist I highly suggest for you to contact or go to your manufacturers website to download and install the updated touch pad drivers.

I hope the information above helps. Please let me know how it goes.

Have a wonderful day ahead and stay safe.

With Warm Regards,

Rhaine C., Aug 14, 2020
  3. nxavis9 Win User
    I want to disable touchpad on Dell laptop

Hello everyone,
    My laptop's touchpad works and I don't want it to, because I prefer a mouse. It's a Dell Inspiron 11 3000 series on windows 10 OS.

What I have tried that hasn't worked:
    • start<settings<devices<mouse & touchpad<additional mouse options. This opens a window called Mouse Options which has 5 tabs up top, none of which involve the touchpad. The Hardware tab shows 2 devices: the mouse itself, and the USB. No touchpad there.
    • windows key+x<mobility center. No touchpad to be found.
    • various function keys. No options for touchpad on/off.
    • device manager<mice and other pointing devices. Again, only the mouse and usb show up. It appears the touchpad is working without a driver, which is a little spooky.
    Any other suggestions? I could try downloading a third party driver, but that seems like a step in the wrong direction.
    Thanks

nxavis9, Aug 14, 2020
  4. Karla Alm Win User

Touchpad not working correctly!

Hi Moosa,

To better assist you with your concern, we would like to know more information:

• Have you tried to restart your computer?

If yes, and the issue still persists, we suggest that you use a mouse to troubleshoot the touchpad then follow these steps:

• Click the Start Menu.
    • Type Control Panel.
    • Choose Hardware and Sound to the options listed.
    • Choose Devices and Printers.
    • Choose the driver for your touchpad.
    • Right click then select Troubleshoot.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks.

Karla Alm, Aug 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Touchpad not working. Tried everything I can think of. - Similar Threads - Touchpad working Tried

2. i have tried everything my touchpad is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i have tried everything my touchpad is not working: as soon as i unplug my mouse the mouse dissapears and when the mouse is plugged in and notplugged in the mouse does not work on the touchpad please if anyone can help me with this problem i have tried all the awnsers i can lookup online and the touchpad dosent appear in...
  3. i have tried everything my touchpad is not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i have tried everything my touchpad is not working: as soon as i unplug my mouse the mouse dissapears and when the mouse is plugged in and notplugged in the mouse does not work on the touchpad please if anyone can help me with this problem i have tried all the awnsers i can lookup online and the touchpad dosent appear in...
  4. ELAN Touchpad not working, tried everything

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ELAN Touchpad not working, tried everything: Hello, I am losing my mind, I don't know if my exact scenario has been solved, since I haven't found any answer on this website, or the internet. I'll try be as short and as precise as possible. I had to reinstall windows for a HP 250 G9 6Q947ES which initially had Windows...
  5. ELAN Touchpad not working, tried everything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ELAN Touchpad not working, tried everything: Hello, I am losing my mind, I don't know if my exact scenario has been solved, since I haven't found any answer on this website, or the internet. I'll try be as short and as precise as possible. I had to reinstall windows for a HP 250 G9 6Q947ES which initially had Windows...
  6. ELAN Touchpad not working, tried everything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Constant Blue Screen of Death I've tried everything I can think of. Help!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Constant Blue Screen of Death I've tried everything I can think of. Help!: Recently my computer began bluescreening at seemingly random times and I can't pin down what might be causing the issue. Here's a list of things I've attempted and had no success either replicating the BSOD or repairing it. -Reimaged my machine -Ran SFC and CHKDSK...
  8. I cannot get my microphone to work despite trying everything I can think of.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I cannot get my microphone to work despite trying everything I can think of.: First let me say, the microphone works on my phone and my chromebook. And the audio works on my desktop computer but the microphone doesnt. I have tried changing the default mic, going into audio settings, changing sound privacy settings, but nothing has made it work. Is...
  9. Been getting some BSOD, tried everything I can think of.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Been getting some BSOD, tried everything I can think of.: Around 2 years ago or so I had upgraded to Windows 10 and ever since I have been getting BSOD; multiple stop error codes have shown, i.e. REFERENCE_BY_POINTER, HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION plus some more. I have fixed other...
  10. My display is all stretched out...I've tried everything I can think of

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    My display is all stretched out...I've tried everything I can think of: When I turned on my pc today, the screen is all stretched out looking. I don't believe it's my monitor, because my startup splash screen looks normal. I have windows 10 home on a custom built computer. Here's what I've tried but none have worked: changing the screen...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot