Windows 10: Touchpad resetting to default on every restart, regedit change not working

Discus and support Touchpad resetting to default on every restart, regedit change not working in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Using V 19.3.31.31 of synaptics drivers on an HP envy x360 15-bp106. I have kept the installation file of this version specifically because newer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/photoinduced, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Touchpad resetting to default on every restart, regedit change not working

Using V 19.3.31.31 of synaptics drivers on an HP envy x360 15-bp106. I have kept the installation file of this version specifically because newer versions remove a lot of functionality e.g. launch a command by 2 finger click. After a fresh Win10 install I cannot get the settings to stick. I have all settings as i want them and also created a profile under precision touchpad settings-additional settings-clickpad settings but i keeps resetting to the default profile on restart.

the common solution i found with extensive googling was the regedit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTP\Install

Open key called DeleteUserSettingsOnUpgrade

Change the value to 0

it just doesn't work, i am sure i am in Local Machine not Current user. Any one has any suggestions? would also be good to have a window automated task run some command to set the clickpad profile, but i cannot find where the software stores these profiles

submitted by /u/photoinduced
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/photoinduced, Nov 2, 2019
  2. iamTin Win User

How to fix/restore regedit to default?

Hello. I need help how to restore regedit back to its default settings.

I didn't know registry editor is very sensitive that a small change can have huge impact on my computer's functionality.

So here's what happened, I was trying to fix a different issue (can't run a specific .exe file) when I bumped into one of the suggested fix (making some small change in regedit)

So I was trying to follow step from: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/2688326/can-t-open-exe-files-in-windows-7-or-windows-vista

[*]Click the Startbutton and type regedit in the Search box
    [*]Right-click Regedit.exe in the returned list and click Run as administrator
    [*]Browse to the following registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe

[*]With .exe selected, right-click (Default) and click Modify…
    [*]Change the Value data: to exefile
    [*]Browse to and then click on the following registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile

[*]With exefileselected, right-click (Default) and click Modify…
    [*]Change the Value data: to "%1" %* (THIS IS WHERE I MADE A MISTAKE)
    [*]Browse to and then click on the following registry key:

KEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open

[*]With openselected, right-click (Default) and click Modify…
    [*]Change the Value data: to "%1" %*
    [*]Close the Registry Editor and restart your PC

Now, I can't open regedit.exe or any .exe files.

I'm getting the error: Windows can't opent this file

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

iamTin, Nov 2, 2019
  3. Default sound issue and issue with touchpad

Hi Mona,

We appreciate you for being a part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need more information to help you better.

• Do you connect the headphones while you start the computer? Do you refer to the Startup sound or any other sound?

• Have you made any changes to the computer software/hardware prior to the issue? (As you have told not able to enable or disable the touchpad)

• What is the type of touchpad configured in your computer? Is it
      Precision touchpad or Normal touchpad?
    Kindly follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Note: Try to disconnect the headphone while you start the computer and check if you are able to hear the startup sound from the speaker.

As you still face the issue even after changing the defaults to speakers, Restore the default settings for the speakers/headphones and check if it helps.

• Open the start menu, type Sound in the search bar and click on
      Sound from the search bar results.

• Select Playback tab and double click on
      Speakers/headphones.

• Select Advanced tab and click on
      Restore defaults
      button.

• Click on Apply and OK button.

• Restart the computer and check if it helps.
    Method 2:

Step 1:

Please follow the below steps to enable touchpad. (If you have the precision touchpad)

• Open the Start menu, type Settings in the search bar and click on Settings.

• Click on Devices, select
      Mouse and Touchpad
      on the left navigation pane under the Devices settings window.

• Change the settings to enable touchpad features under
      Touchpad.
    Step 2:

I suggest you to update the touchpad drivers. Refer to the following article and update all the drivers available in Windows 10.

How to: Install and Update drivers in
    Windows 10

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Nov 2, 2019
  4. Touchpad resetting to default on every restart, regedit change not working

Touchpad not working

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it fixes the issue.

Method 1: Run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter

Follow these steps to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Press Windows key + W and type troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click Hardware and Devices.
    • Follow the on-screen instruction to run the troubleshooter.
    Method 2: Uninstall and reinstall the driver

I suggest you to try uninstall the Touchpad drivers check if it works for you.

Follow the steps to uninstall the Touchpad drivers:

• Press Windows Key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Right-click on the Touchpad device listed and click on ‘Uninstall’.
    • Select the option to Delete driver software.
    • Restart the computer after its uninstalled.
    Try to access the device manufacturer's website and download and install the latest chipset and touchpad drivers.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Nov 2, 2019
Thema:

Touchpad resetting to default on every restart, regedit change not working

1. Touchpad resetting to default on every restart, regedit change not working - Similar Threads - Touchpad resetting default

2. help how to change default .exe regedit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    help how to change default .exe regedit: so i just running .exe regedit from this website https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8703-restore-default-file-type-associations-windows-10-a.html the file format is exe.reg ,after running this , ican't run scrcpy android screen to windows please help...
  3. Default app reset every singel time after restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default app reset every singel time after restart: Hello Team,I set PDF reader as default software to view PDF files. but after system restart, all PDF documents showing as unknown file .again i'm selecting PDF as default file. so default app settings reset after system restart. Will you please suggest the solution....
  4. Default app reset every singel time after restart

Default app reset every singel time after restart: Hello Team,I set PDF reader as default software to view PDF files. but after system restart, all PDF documents showing as unknown file .again i'm selecting PDF as default file. so default app settings reset after system restart. Will you please suggest the solution....
  5. Default apps settings resets on every restart.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default apps settings resets on every restart.: I recently upgraded my Lenovo Think Centre desktop to Windows 11 from Windows 10. I altered the default app settings for Chrome, Acrobat Reader, etc., but every time I restart my computer, they are reset. I've tried some of the forum-recommended fixes, including...
  6. Default apps settings resets on every restart.

Default apps settings resets on every restart.: I recently upgraded my Lenovo Think Centre desktop to Windows 11 from Windows 10. I altered the default app settings for Chrome, Acrobat Reader, etc., but every time I restart my computer, they are reset. I've tried some of the forum-recommended fixes, including...
  7. How to reset REGEDIT to default in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to reset REGEDIT to default in Windows 10: In this post, we will show you how to reset the Registry Editor window position, size, etc. to its default settings in Windows 10. Before you begin, close the Registry Editor, create a system restore point and then run the reg file that we have given below as a download....
  8. Change default app with regedit or bat

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change default app with regedit or bat: We have a gpo which sets the default app for pdf's, we do not want to change this, except for when a user runs a bat script without admin rights. I have been trying to make a .bat file that would change the default pdf program to reader with; ftype...
  9. Start Menu resetting to default after every restart.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu resetting to default after every restart.: Hi, I've reset my PC recently, and since then, my Start Menu keeps resetting to its default after restarting my PC. Also, when I try to pin any apps to the Start Menu, they don't physically appear in the menu. But when I right click the app again, the option "unpin from...
  10. Regedit Defaults

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Regedit Defaults: Hello, i recently changed a few settings in regedit after been recommended. I have removed the restore point *Mad I'm looking for every default setting in Multimedia folder. In total 11 folders. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Version 1803. OS build: 17143.753...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. regedit stop clickpad from resetting on restart