Windows 10: Touchpad suddenly not functioning

Discus and support Touchpad suddenly not functioning in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello everyone! Hopefully you're all surviving this pandemic without too much disruption. Anyway, I'll just get on with it. Please see the timeline... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MattskiG, May 18, 2020.

1. MattskiG Win User

Touchpad suddenly not functioning

Hello everyone!

Hopefully you're all surviving this pandemic without too much disruption. Anyway, I'll just get on with it. Please see the timeline of events below:

• Bought an Acer Aspire 7 A715-74G laptop brand new just under four months ago when I started my own business.
    • Constant issues with unreliable connection to home WiFi since day one.
    • Home WiFi worked on other devices and my laptop worked on other WiFi networks.
    • Acer support advised a driver update via telephone. Completed without resolution of issue.
    • Acer support advised a full reset and cleaning the drive as if fresh from the factory. Completed but another issue found.
    • Laptop would then not turn on, so followed instructions to put a fresh copy of Windows 10 on laptop via USB drive instead.
    • Laptop then worked as before, still without connection to home WiFi network.
    • Bought a TP-Link 3000Mbps Mini Wireless N USB Adapter and this provides a reliable connection to home WiFi network.
    • Laptop worked fine for a couple of days. I use it every day and was on it until midnight of 1am before going to bed.
    • Tried to use laptop this morning but touchpad and left/right mouse buttons are suddenly not responding.
    • Plugged in wired mouse which works fine. Laptop's own touchpad is still completely useless.
    • Started to lose the will to live.
    • Cursed both Acer and Microsoft profusely unsure whether laptop or OS is causing issue. Expecting both to point fingers at the other.
    • Reached out for help.

To clarify, I had been using the wired mouse connects via USB for several days once I had a decent WiFi connection, but used the touchpad at intervals as well, to 'wake' the machine and to zoom in/out on websites, for example, so I know the touchpad and mouse buttons were fine until this morning.

I look forward to any help that could be provided as this laptop is my only source of income - I was made redundant on 31st Dec 2019 and started my own business mid-January 2020. Without a working laptop, I am unable to focus on finding clients and growing my business and instead am forced into researching and fixing problems with a laptop that cost me over £1000 to begin with. To say I'm anxious to get on with my work and really disappointed with my experience of Acer and Windows 10 so far is a gross understatement.

I'm really struggling here. I need to provide for my little girl and can't to that with a machine in this state. Thank you all.

Mattie

:)

MattskiG, May 18, 2020
  2. geoffers Win User

SOLVED: Laptop Touchpad fully functional, but not in Universal apps

OK - sorted it finally :
    • in step one/two above you delete the existing Synaptics drivers then have to reboot
    • unfortunately when the PC restarts it installs some generic touchpad drivers which have the basic functionality
    • So although step4 (run setup) appears to work, it hasn't actually done anything as the generic drivers are already there
    So what you have to do is this...

• In device manager, select the mouse device and click update drivers.
    • Then select Browse My Computer > Let me pick from a list > Have disk button, and select the folder with the new Synaptics drivers (I'm running 32-bit windows so selected ..\WinWDF\x86).
    • The green progress bar shows the drivers are loading, then when it's all done you now have the new functionality installed - RESULT!!!
    • Touchpad suddenly not functioning [​IMG]

geoffers, May 18, 2020
  3. nxavis9 Win User
    I want to disable touchpad on Dell laptop

Hello everyone,
    My laptop's touchpad works and I don't want it to, because I prefer a mouse. It's a Dell Inspiron 11 3000 series on windows 10 OS.

What I have tried that hasn't worked:
    • start<settings<devices<mouse & touchpad<additional mouse options. This opens a window called Mouse Options which has 5 tabs up top, none of which involve the touchpad. The Hardware tab shows 2 devices: the mouse itself, and the USB. No touchpad there.
    • windows key+x<mobility center. No touchpad to be found.
    • various function keys. No options for touchpad on/off.
    • device manager<mice and other pointing devices. Again, only the mouse and usb show up. It appears the touchpad is working without a driver, which is a little spooky.
    Any other suggestions? I could try downloading a third party driver, but that seems like a step in the wrong direction.
    Thanks

nxavis9, May 18, 2020
  4. Touchpad suddenly not functioning

functionality issues with Elan Touchpad after upgrading to Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it fixes the issue.

Method 1: Run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter

Follow these steps to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

• Press Windows key + W and type troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click Hardware and Devices.
    • Follow the on-screen instruction to run the troubleshooter.
    Method 2: Uninstall and reinstall the driver

I suggest you to try uninstall the Touchpad drivers check if it works for you.

Follow the steps to uninstall the Touchpad drivers:

• Press Windows Key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Right-click on the Touchpad device listed and click on ‘Uninstall’.
    • Select the option to Delete driver software.
    • Restart the computer after its uninstalled.
    Try to access the device manufacturer's website and download and install the latest chipset and touchpad drivers.

Method 3

If issue still persists, I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the touchpad drivers in Compatibility mode and check if it works:

Follow the steps to uninstall the touchpad driver:

• Press Windows Key + X key.
    • Click on Device Manager.
    • Right-click on the Touchpad device listed and click on ‘Uninstall’.
    • Select the option to Delete driver software.
    • Restart the computer after its uninstalled.
    Now download the drivers the manufacturer website and install it in Windows 8.1 compatibility mode. Follow the steps provided below to install the drivers in compatibility mode:

• Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘properties’.
    • Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for” and select Windows 8.1 operating system from the drop down.
    • Click on ‘Apply’ and click ‘OK’ and run the file to install it.
    Hope this will fix the issue, if not let us know with the updated status and we will be happy to assist you further.

Giridhar J, May 18, 2020
Thema:

Touchpad suddenly not functioning

1. Touchpad suddenly not functioning - Similar Threads - Touchpad suddenly functioning

2. Touchpad not working suddenly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touchpad not working suddenly.: I am having an issue with my touchpad. I have an omen 15 running Windows 11. The touchpad was working fine , but it suddenly stopped responding. I have tried the following things to fix the issue: I enabled Mouse Keys in the Accessibility settings. This worked temporarily,...
  3. Touchpad not working suddenly.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Touchpad not working suddenly.: I am having an issue with my touchpad. I have an omen 15 running Windows 11. The touchpad was working fine , but it suddenly stopped responding. I have tried the following things to fix the issue: I enabled Mouse Keys in the Accessibility settings. This worked temporarily,...
  4. Touchpad drops its function

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touchpad drops its function: I got Windows 11 two days ago and my touchpad not working at all. How can I use this laptop now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/touchpad-drops-its-function/f2ae07fe-5d6b-41ed-ab6c-618b3a8cf357
  5. Touchpad drops its function

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touchpad drops its function: I got Windows 11 two days ago and my touchpad not working at all. How can I use this laptop now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/touchpad-drops-its-function/f2ae07fe-5d6b-41ed-ab6c-618b3a8cf357
  6. Touchpad not functioning correctly

Touchpad not functioning correctly: I have a 4 year old HP Pavilion 15 laptop. The hard drive was playing up so I have installed an SSD in it's place. Rather than clone the old HDD to the new drive, I did a clean install of Windows 10 intending to migrate data and settings across later. I have also updated the...
  7. Touchpad not functioning correctly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touchpad not functioning correctly: I have a 4 year old HP Pavilion 15 laptop. The hard drive was playing up so I have installed an SSD in it's place. Rather than clone the old HDD to the new drive, I did a clean install of Windows 10 intending to migrate data and settings across later. I have also updated the...
  8. Touchpad not functioning correctly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Touchpad functionality is not working

Touchpad functionality is not working: I have a brand new Acer Spin SP513-54N. The touchpad functionalities of right click, double click etc. are not working though the touchpad works for scroll movements. I was advised to reinstate the device to factory settings but the same has not helped either. Any advise...
  10. Touchpad suddenly not fully functional

Touchpad suddenly not fully functional: My touchpad works, but the two finger scroll up and down is not working anymore. Any ideas? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/touchpad-suddenly-not-fully-functional/9a010716-8e87-41a3-bd48-1dbfcffedb48