Windows 10: Touchpad tap configured as "mouse back button" not working in Explorer

Discus and support Touchpad tap configured as "mouse back button" not working in Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a ThinkPad T480 laptop, using a Synaptics touchpad. I use the built-in Windows 10 touchpad settings to configure the tap functionality. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Aelius, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Aelius Win User

Touchpad tap configured as "mouse back button" not working in Explorer

I have a ThinkPad T480 laptop, using a Synaptics touchpad. I use the built-in Windows 10 touchpad settings to configure the tap functionality.

I configured the touchpad to function as a "mouse back button" when I tap it with three fingers. It works fine in Firefox but it does not work at all in Windows Explorer (i.e., browsing files on my computer.)

Touch pad scrolling works fine, even in Windows Explorer.

Interestingly, I can get it to work as long as Explorer isn't focused. So, for example, if I click an empty part of the taskbar and then put the cursor over an Explorer window - without clicking it - then I do a three-finger tap, Explorer successfully goes back.

One other interesting observation: if I set three-finger tap to something else (say, Action Center), it does work in Explorer. This suggests that the problem is not Explorer failing to recognize any taps - just SPECIFICALLY back-button tap functionality.

Also, I tried setting two- and four-finger taps as mouse back button functionality but it doesn't work for those either, meaning the problem is not specific to three-finger taps.

Any ideas?

:)

Aelius, Jan 13, 2019
  2. cauyao615 Win User

Mouse and touchpad not working

Hey did exactly what you suggested and the first time i did it the mouse cursor became visible, it was at the center of the screen but i still couldnt make it move with the touchpad and i plugged in my usb mouse and that doesnt work too. I did it a few moret times but cursor never showed up again and still could make either the touchpad or the mouse to work. Do you have anymore suggestion?

cauyao615, Jan 13, 2019
  3. touchpad doesn't work

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you are unable to access touchpad after upgrade to Windows 10, this issue might be due to the outdated touchpad drivers on Windows 10.

I suggest you to use the external mouse and check if it is working and try the below.

Step 1:

• Press Windows + X keys from the keyboard and click on
      Control Panel.
    • Click on Mouse.
    • On the Device Settings tab of the
      Mouse Properties screen, check the Disable button to turn off the Touchpad.
    • Restart the system and later enable it and check it you are able to access touchpad.

Step 2: Update the synaptic drivers

Steps:

• Right click on Windows key from the desktop and click on
      Device Manager.
    • Expand Mice and other pointing devices, right click on the
      Touch screen driver (Synaptic driver) and select Update Driver Software.

Also, I suggest you to contact the manufacturer's website and install all the drivers on your device.

You can install Windows 8/8.1 drivers in compatibility mode if there are no Windows 10 compatible drivers.

Follow the steps to install in Compatibility mode:

• Download the updated driver from the manufacturer’s website.
    • Right click the driver installation file and select
      Properties then tap or click the Compatibility tab.
    • Place a check in the Run this program in compatibility mode for: box.
    • Tap the drop down box and select a previous operating system, then tap or click
      OK.
    • Try installing the driver and check.

Hope it helps. Kindly let us know if you need further assistance with Windows Operating System. We will be glad to assist you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 13, 2019
  4. Touchpad tap configured as "mouse back button" not working in Explorer

The right click on touchpad is not working. New PC running windows 10

Hi,

With regard to your query, we suggest that you try to chech the button configuration settings in Mouse Properties by following the steps below:

• Press the Windows key and select Settings.
    • Click on Devices.
    • Under Mouse and touchpad settings,click on Additional mouse options.
    • In Buttons tab, make sure that the Switch primary and secondary buttons
      option is disabled.
    • Reboot the PC for the changes to take effect.

Let us know the result.

Rafael Com, Jan 13, 2019
Thema:

Touchpad tap configured as "mouse back button" not working in Explorer

1. Touchpad tap configured as "mouse back button" not working in Explorer - Similar Threads - Touchpad tap configured

2. Left-handed touchpad tap and double-tap is not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Left-handed touchpad tap and double-tap is not working.: I have gone to my mouse settings and switched it to being left-handed. I also made sure that "Switch primary and secondary buttons" is checked in the "additional mouse settings". The buttons on the bottom of the touchpad have switched correctly, but now when I double-tap the...
  3. Left-handed touchpad tap and double-tap is not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Left-handed touchpad tap and double-tap is not working.: I have gone to my mouse settings and switched it to being left-handed. I also made sure that "Switch primary and secondary buttons" is checked in the "additional mouse settings". The buttons on the bottom of the touchpad have switched correctly, but now when I double-tap the...
  4. Touchpad and mouse buttons not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touchpad and mouse buttons not working: I have an issue with the touchpad and mouse today. They simply stopped working. Actually, it happens that they work from time to time for only a few seconds, but then the problem starts again. I have managed to try the standard steps, i.e. to uninstall the drivers and...
  5. Touchpad Buttons/Taps do not work when a key is pressed

Touchpad Buttons/Taps do not work when a key is pressed: So, I used to have the cursor not working when a key is pressed but I fixed that problem by registry in another form. But then I am having that the taps/buttons are not working. I need it for gaming. Is there any way to fix this problem? It is annoying. I have a Lenovo...
  6. Tap in the touchpad is not working

Tap in the touchpad is not working: In my laptop tap option is not working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tap-in-the-touchpad-is-not-working/3851af51-b211-46e7-87f0-9bd271009b33
  7. Lenovo T400 touchpad tapping and buttons fail

Lenovo T400 touchpad tapping and buttons fail: I recently made a mistake. I loaded the latest Synaptic touchpad to this T400 attempting to fix 'zoom' capability. Only afterwards I noticed T400 is not on the approved list. So I rolled back (also redownloaded, also reapplied old driver). The current situation is the cursor...
  8. Touchpad tap configured as "mouse back button" not working in Explorer

Touchpad tap configured as "mouse back button" not working in Explorer: I have a ThinkPad T480 laptop, using a Synaptics touchpad. I use the built-in Windows 10 touchpad settings to configure the tap functionality. I configured the touchpad to function as a "mouse back button" when I tap it with three fingers. It works fine in Firefox but it...
  9. mouse button configuration

mouse button configuration: I am left handed and set the mouse to switch primary and secondary buttons. When I log off my laptop ( it is connected to a network) the setting reverts to factory setting. My IT depart has looked at the problem but was unable to fix it. Can you help?...
  10. Touchpad Tap not working

Touchpad Tap not working: After using Bluetooth mouse, touch pad tapping has stopped working, navigation is working fine, Its Synaptics clik pad V7.4. I tried to update the driver, but it shows the driver is up to date.............. Please help...... 31536