Windows 10: Touchscreen only works when i have a mouse and keyboard connected

Discus and support Touchscreen only works when i have a mouse and keyboard connected in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So ive come across a strange issue in which my touchscreen only works when i have a mouse and keyboard attached. I have this on 12 machines so far but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AdamStarr, Jul 17, 2019.

1. AdamStarr Win User

Touchscreen only works when i have a mouse and keyboard connected

So ive come across a strange issue in which my touchscreen only works when i have a mouse and keyboard attached.

I have this on 12 machines so far but can not find a fix.

Things i have tried:

• download and install all windows updates
    • uninstall the touchscreen from human interface devices in device manager
    • search for new drivers in device manager
    • reimage the till, (out of 30 tills the touchscreen has failed on 12)
    • set usb input devices in device manager to do not allow windows to turn off (power saving options)
    • removed triggered command from human interface device service (HIDServ) and set to automatic
    • run the following command as admin SC Config MTConfig Start= Demand (this starts the touchscreen on the next reboot but any further reboots and the touchscreen stops again
    • swapped hard drive into another machine to see if it will install drivers for the new devices

none of the above works.

the only thing that has got it working on every reboot is to leave a mouse and keyboard plugged into the till.

Tills run Windows 10 LTSB x64

anyone got any ideas that i have not mentioned above?

Thanks

:)

AdamStarr, Jul 17, 2019
  2. PevHukill Win User

surface touchscreen not working keyboard and mouse ok

surface touchscreen not working keyboard and mouse ok

PevHukill, Jul 17, 2019
  3. Sandoval Win User
    Keyboard not working

I have hp envy laptop with touchscreen. I never used the touchscreen keyboard until i had problems with keyboard on the laptop couple hours ago. Some of the Keys werent working at all, some would type numbers or incorrect letters or type commas after each letter. I tried adding and changing languages, and restoring system. Now, the laptop keyboard including function keys and the mouse doesnt work at all. When i go into control panel under keyboard- typing the only option listed is for touchscreen. Not sure if i somehow manged to disengage the main keyboard and mouse. Please help!

Sandoval, Jul 17, 2019
  4. Touchscreen only works when i have a mouse and keyboard connected

keyboard and mouse not working

Hi Chrystal,

For us to properly isolate the issue with your keyboard and mouse, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • Are you using a wired or wireless keyboard and mouse?
    • Have you tried using a different keyboard and mouse? If yes, how was it?
    • Have you tried using your keyboard and mouse to another computer? If yes, what is the result?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you try updating your keyboard and mouse drivers to resolve the issue. You may also check and follow the troubleshooting steps in this
    article.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Jul 17, 2019
Thema:

Touchscreen only works when i have a mouse and keyboard connected

1. Touchscreen only works when i have a mouse and keyboard connected - Similar Threads - Touchscreen works mouse

2. Wireless mouse and keyboard only work when on top of laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wireless mouse and keyboard only work when on top of laptop: I have a Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop Keyboard and Mouse. For some reason, it has suddenly started only working when placed literally on top of my laptop keyboard itself - any further away and it becomes extremely laggy and unusable. The same applies to the mouse which...
  3. Wireless mouse and keyboard only work when on top of laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wireless mouse and keyboard only work when on top of laptop: I have a Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop Keyboard and Mouse. For some reason, it has suddenly started only working when placed literally on top of my laptop keyboard itself - any further away and it becomes extremely laggy and unusable. The same applies to the mouse which...
  4. Wireless mouse and keyboard only work when on top of laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. W11: Touchscreen Keyboard Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W11: Touchscreen Keyboard Not Working: Hi, I'm using the most updated version of Windows 11 and I'm unable to access the on-screen keyboard from Touch because the touch keyboard icon in the system tray doesn't work. I've temporarily pinned the OSK app to my taskbar as a fix, but it's nowhere near as user-friendly...
  6. Keyboard macro only works when Mouse and Keyboard Center is open

Keyboard macro only works when Mouse and Keyboard Center is open: Hi all,I bought a Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard. When I set it up, I realized there is no Sleep button like on my old keyboard.So I assigned a macro to one of the new keyboard's favourites button to put the computer to sleep. The macro is basically WinKey+X U S.When the Mouse...
  7. Keyboard and Mouse Only Work in BIOS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard and Mouse Only Work in BIOS: So I got an Ocus Rift S yesterday, and I ran into an obscure problem with sensors not being able to be tracked. I looked at multiple sources saying the fix was easy. After trying every single one, nothing ever worked of course, the last one I tried was changing the drivers...
  8. Keyboard and mouse only partially working?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard and mouse only partially working?: I’m working from home with a company laptop. In order to use my laptop, today I plugged my HDMI cord from monitor 1 into it, as well as my HDMI to USB-C cord from monitor 2 into it. Then, I plugged my USB hub, which has my keyboard, mouse, speakers, and webcam into it....
  9. Mouse, Keyboard & Touchscreen not working after Windows 1809 update

Mouse, Keyboard & Touchscreen not working after Windows 1809 update: I left my Acer Z3710 installing the Windows 1809 update overnight & now my mouse, keyboard & touchscreen are not working. The PC boots & I see the 'mountain lake', time & date but cannot get to the login screen. Both the key board & mouse are wireless and were working fine...
  10. Touchscreen only works when it's main monitor.

Touchscreen only works when it's main monitor.: I have a two monitor set up, with my main monitor being a 27" screen and a second 22" touchscreen as a secondary monitor. I can only get the touchscreen monitor to pick up touches if I make it my main monitor. As soon as I switch my main monitor back to my 27" monitor...