Windows 10: Touchscreen only works when it's main monitor.

Discus and support Touchscreen only works when it's main monitor. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a two monitor set up, with my main monitor being a 27" screen and a second 22" touchscreen as a secondary monitor. I can only get the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by UGH1979, Aug 15, 2015.

1. UGH1979 Win User

Touchscreen only works when it's main monitor.

I have a two monitor set up, with my main monitor being a 27" screen and a second 22" touchscreen as a secondary monitor.

I can only get the touchscreen monitor to pick up touches if I make it my main monitor. As soon as I switch my main monitor back to my 27" monitor touches to the touchscreen monitor appear on 27" monitor.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

:)

UGH1979, Aug 15, 2015

2. Win10 Multi-monitor annoyances with laptop

Ok, so I have a Win10 laptop with a touchscreen 4k display, and it's connected to 2 1080p external monitors via HDMI and mini-displayport. The text size is set at 200% for the laptop screen, and 100% for the external monitors. The main screen is set as one
    of the external monitors, and as such I've had to further configure the touch screen to be the laptop screen (otherwise using the touchscreen will effect the main external monitor).

All works fine when in this configuration, but I have issues when moving back from using the laptop only. So I unplug the laptop, use it while mobile, then when I come back to plug into the external monitors is where the problems arise.

First problem that occurs after I plug the laptop back into the external monitors, is it always has the clock and app icons on the laptop screen. The main screen is still the external 1080p monitor, according to display settings. So I have to set the laptop
    screen as the main screen, then set it as the external 1080p monitor. After a bit of mucking around then it is fine again.

Second problem is that sometimes it forgets the laptop is the touchscreen. So you touch the laptop screen and it effects the main external monitor. Again I have to dig around in settings to configure the laptop screen as the actual touchscreen.

There are various small DPI issues that occur in Office 365 (eg. open an old Excel document and all current Excel documents screw up their DPI settings and refresh into tiny windows), but the above 2 are my main issues about Windows 10.

So, does anyone have any tips on how to fix these issues, or know of third party software that may help the issue? Something like a program that remembers *everything* about your desktop settings based on the monitor configuration would be nice (and auto
    restores them when you change the configuration), as Windows 10 doesn't seem to handle it properly on my PC with my current setup.

Cheers

Crivens999, Aug 15, 2015
  3. Will Win 10 work on non-touch screen or screens?

Windows 10 is only an operating system. The operating system is software. The software on the computer is not able to change the hardware on the computer. The main reason for this is because a normal monitor doesn't have any sensors inside so it can't detect
    when a finger is touching the screen.

So unfortunetly if you don't have a touchscreen computer or laptop windows 10 will not change this.

aharoncohen, Aug 15, 2015
  4. Touchscreen only works when it's main monitor.

Make the touch screen your main monitor and extend the desk top to your larger monitor.
    You'll see the task bar has now moved. Annoying, eh? No problem.
    Unlock the task bar and drag it to your larger monitor. Lock it again.
    Drag over your desk top icons and change your wall papers if you need to.

teachermark, Aug 15, 2015
  5. UGH1979 Win User
    Thanks, that did work, but creates the problem that many applications will then start on what is my secondary monitor since it's set as main which is unacceptable/unworkable for me due to the way they work.

Fortunately I've just found a trick to get round it;

With the main monitor set up as the primary, and the touch screen set up as the secondary, go to Tablet PC Settings, click Setup. Now press enter to skip setting the primary monitor as the touch screen so the dialogue moves to the secondary, and then touch that, and that will work. The key is to then not go to Calibrate, as that will cause the problem where touches on the secondary screen show on the primary once you complete the calibration. You can calibrate the touch screen prior to doing the initial set up step by making it your main monitor and Win will remember it so it doesn't need to be done again post Setup.

UGH1979, Aug 15, 2015
  6. Nice one. Glad you got it sorted. *Smile

I posted medicine and you found the cure!

A 22 inch touch screen, eh? Lucky %$&&*^$#!!!

teachermark, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Touchscreen only works when it's main monitor.

1. Touchscreen only works when it's main monitor. - Similar Threads - Touchscreen works main

2. Touchscreen not working on my profile only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touchscreen not working on my profile only: Hi - I have a HP touchscreen laptop running Windows 11. For the last 2 weeks the touchscreen has stopped working. However - it still works for my brothers profile when he signs in. In device manager it says the touchscreen is enabled. Any ideas?? It would seem to me to be a...
  3. Touchscreen not working on my profile only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Touchscreen not working on my profile only: Hi - I have a HP touchscreen laptop running Windows 11. For the last 2 weeks the touchscreen has stopped working. However - it still works for my brothers profile when he signs in. In device manager it says the touchscreen is enabled. Any ideas?? It would seem to me to be a...
  4. Laptop lags only when external monitor is set as main display

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop lags only when external monitor is set as main display: I know it's been fixed in Windows 11, but 11 has other problems and I don't like the look of it. The only solution is to reboot the laptop while the monitor is connected, which is annoying. Does this problem occur in Windows 7 ? I tried setting the preferred gpu in nvidia...
  5. Main monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Main monitor: Every once in a while my main monitor freezes. I have an HP Pavilion Desktop. I have to restart my graphics drivers every time this happens using Win+Ctrl+Shift+B, and although this works, I am looking for a permanent fix, and an explanation to the problem. Looking this...
  6. 2nd touchscreen monitor doesn't work

in Windows 10 Customization
    2nd touchscreen monitor doesn't work: Hello, i am trying to connect a second touchscreen monitor to my intel nuc that already has a dell touchscreen as a primary. The problem I'm having is that the touch does respond from the second monitor but it works like a trackpad and only moves the cursor on the main...
  7. Automate show only on main monitor when secondary is switched off

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Automate show only on main monitor when secondary is switched off: I have a 4k hdr TV connected as second monitor Which I use from time to time. It is set as extended display. The thing is when I turn it off, I would like Windows to automatically switch to show only on main display and when I turn it on I want Windows to remember the old...
  8. Automate show only on main monitor when secondary is switched off

in Windows 10 Support
    Automate show only on main monitor when secondary is switched off: I have a 4k hdr TV connected as second monitor Which I use from time to time. It is set as extended display. The thing is when I turn it off, I would like Windows to automatically switch to show only on main display and when I turn it on I want Windows to remember the old...
  9. Only main speaker working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Only main speaker working: For some reason just my main speaker works, so for example if I put my main speaker to left the left speaker will play vice versa. How can I fix that, I set them to stereo but they still dont work. I have the MACKIE CR4 Speaker submitted by /u/ComaBeats [link] [comments]...
  10. Touchscreen only works when i have a mouse and keyboard connected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touchscreen only works when i have a mouse and keyboard connected: So ive come across a strange issue in which my touchscreen only works when i have a mouse and keyboard attached. I have this on 12 machines so far but can not find a fix. Things i have tried: download and install all windows updates uninstall the touchscreen from human...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Touchscreen only works when its primary monitor

2. touchscreen only works as main display

3. touch only works with main display