Windows 10: Towards a Full and Complete Removal of ONEDRIVE

Discus and support Towards a Full and Complete Removal of ONEDRIVE in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am a 30-year PC tech, now retired. I ran a program to tell me why and what was slowing my Win10 Pro PC's 3 of them to a crawl starting within a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Flak88, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Flak88 Win User

Towards a Full and Complete Removal of ONEDRIVE

I am a 30-year PC tech, now retired. I ran a program to tell me why and what was slowing my Win10 Pro PC's 3 of them to a crawl starting within a few months of installation. I also used Task Manager to verify the high network, CPU and drive usage min 30% and max at 100% all the time the machine are in operation. Further, there are extensive periods when these usages regularly go up and down like clockwork as seen in Task Manager.ONEDRIVE is heavily implicated each time... typically 35-50% of the problem. I "stopped the link", as MS recommended but with little effect on performance. I stop its process in Task Manager and it comes back in seconds. In the last 3 years I've tried to uninstall it in several ways and find it is still running in the background. Once, I laboriously deleted all mentions in the registry of Onedrive as Administrator. Only 2 weeks later Sysinternals Process Manager and Monitor shows Onedrive still persists. All my PC's show it is repaired by Windows Updates irregularly, causing me to try removal again and again.

I DO NOT USE OR WANT TO USE ONEDRIVE, EVER. This program is not and never was a valuable addition to the usage of my computers and is if fact a serious detriment to their function and efficiency.

On behalf of all other Windows customers like myself, who have paid for a usable and effective Operating System called Windows, I demand that Microsoft, the OS developer and vendor, provide a Onedrive remover that is 100% effective and will search and remove ALL traces of Onedrive from our computers to restore a sizable and measurable portion of performance and also reduce the huge over-burden Onedrive has placed on Personal, Local and World networking resources. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs often use this sort of removal scheme so I know it can be done.

Further, I demand that, during the installation and operation of all current and future Windows operating systems, there be flexible and positive options available to prevent automatic installation and activation of Onedrive and all other questionable programs and applications which we the users of Windows feel will be detrimental to the operation of our computers. Such options are to be fully explained within the procedure at the time any action is taken.

:)

Flak88, Apr 20, 2020

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Apr 20, 2020
  3. stickie Win User
    Remove OneDrive

Hi .... wish to remove OneDrive from fresh install W10.....
    have uninstalled it from inside Control Panel but am unnerved to find a OneDrive folder lurking in my username folder, which contains some 10GB predominantly a clone of my Desktop ... please, please could someone provide the steps necessary to completely remove it ..... thanks in advance ..... Alan D Kerr

File sharing and storage made simple

stickie, Apr 20, 2020
  4. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Towards a Full and Complete Removal of ONEDRIVE :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Apr 20, 2020
Thema:

1. Towards a Full and Complete Removal of ONEDRIVE - Similar Threads - Towards Full Complete

2. How to remove Documents folder from OneDrive when OneDrive is full?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to remove Documents folder from OneDrive when OneDrive is full?: I recently got a new laptop and when I was setting it up, I chose the option to backup Documents and a couple of other folders to OneDrive. I assumed that this would merely copy the files to the cloud, but apparently it actually replaces the local Documents folder entirely....
  3. How to remove Documents folder from OneDrive when OneDrive is full?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove Documents folder from OneDrive when OneDrive is full?: I recently got a new laptop and when I was setting it up, I chose the option to backup Documents and a couple of other folders to OneDrive. I assumed that this would merely copy the files to the cloud, but apparently it actually replaces the local Documents folder entirely....
  4. How to remove Documents folder from OneDrive when OneDrive is full?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. OneDrive Is Full

OneDrive Is Full: Unfortunately, when trying to back up my Windows 10 PC with an external hard drive all of the files on it went into the OneDrive. Therefore, the OneDrive is just about full on my quite new HP PC. I want to move the files that have filled up the OneDrive on the PC to the new...
  6. OneDrive Is Full

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive Is Full: Unfortunately, when trying to back up my Windows 10 PC with an external hard drive all of the files on it went into the OneDrive. Therefore, the OneDrive is just about full on my quite new HP PC. I want to move the files that have filled up the OneDrive on the PC to the new...
  7. OneDrive Is Full

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. completely removing onedrive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    completely removing onedrive: Hi. I'm want to use bash to create a folder in my desktop. I type: cd desktop mkdir newfolder and the newfolder is created in c:/users/myname/desktop but the folder isn't in my actual desktop as this is in onedrive. I know this because if I create a new folder in my...
  9. How to Completely Remove OneDrive

How to Completely Remove OneDrive: I know that this seems like a somewhat strange thing to do, but I need to completely get rid of my OneDrive-related files and transfer them to C:/Users/MyUserName/, not C:/Users/MyUserName/OneDrive/ . I need to do this because I believe that my School Network interferes with...
  10. Microsoft's 'One Store' takes a step towards completion

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft's 'One Store' takes a step towards completion: One of the big initiative with Windows 10 besides unifying the core of all of Microsoft's operating systems is to unify their app stores too. Like everything else, Microsoft calls this 'One Store' and we are now seeing that initiative take a step forward with an update to the...