Windows 10: Tower desktop or Server ???

Discus and support Tower desktop or Server ??? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi folks One of my older NAS servers is giving up the Ghost so I need another computer to replace. I'm not a gamer and as above stated I'm in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jimbo45, Dec 31, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Tower desktop or Server ???

Hi folks

One of my older NAS servers is giving up the Ghost so I need another computer to replace.

I'm not a gamer and as above stated I'm in the market for another computer -- seems by getting a decent Tower Server I can get a much better deal - especially as I can "cannabilize" parts from equipment I want to replace -- e.g HDD's, SSD's and DDR4 Memory.

Seems to me getting a server --even a refurbished one seems infinitely a better deal than going for a basic Tower type desktop machine -- OK the server comes without OS but I can install LINUX (FREE) or Windows 10 (have a few licenses left).

The only disadvantage I can see is that the server won't have the latest bleeding edge hardware - but I'm not really bothered about that.

The Desktop is far more expensive - especially as it's essentially "pre configured" so I'd be buying stuff I don't really need and the server I'm looking at comes configured with 2X CPU's and some internal graphics (which can be disabled if I want to install my own graphics card(s), 8X memory slots for DDR4/DDR4 - Max 128 GB with the 2 CPU's or 64GB with 1 CPU as only 1 bank of 4 and 2X LAN connectors.

I do need 4 - 6 HDD bays - both of the options I'm looking at have these -- I can also replace the DVD with SSD - have all the adapters to do that.

Any views on this --- Server (re-furbed) 175 EUR Tower desktop 780 EUR.

My days of assembling and building computers from scratch are over these days -- ("Been there --done that --Bought the T-shirt etc") !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Dec 31, 2020
  2. newtekie1 Win User

TPU Minecraft Server

Done. Thanks for the suggestion!*Toast :toast:

newtekie1, Dec 31, 2020
  3. Barman58 Win User
    Homegroup For Minecraft Servers Or What?

It looks as if the existing minecraft server will use the new system without modification - It needs to be able to access the computers on the network in a two way link, which is the standard for Workgroup and Homegroup

There is a complete step by step available, if you have any issues ...

Tutorials/Setting up a server – Official Minecraft Wiki

It's not something I have any direct experience with but a quick read suggests to me that you will not need to do Much if any reconfiguration of the existing server

Barman58, Dec 31, 2020
  4. dch53 Win User

Unable to access server via remote desktop after router change

Hi,

I manage my home theatre and music servers via remote desktop. Both have wired connections to the router.

All has been well for many years.

Recently our old modem/router was replaced with a new one. There have been no other changes.

While I can still remote into the home theatre server I am no longer able to remote into the music server:

Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer....

What I can do is:

• ping the music server
    • bring up shares on the music server on another computer
    • access the music server using TeamViewer
    Does anyone have any suggestions how I can use remote desktop to manage my music server again please?

dch53, Dec 31, 2020
Thema:

1. Tower desktop or Server ??? - Similar Threads - Tower desktop Server

2. Problem with tower

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Problem with tower: Hello, I was plugging in my computer and the monitor was blinking different colors. Than I plugged my tower in and then I tried to turn it on and it blinked on and off the fan or anything won’t work, would that be the cmos battery? I am just asking because I have school work...
  3. Problem with tower

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with tower: Hello, I was plugging in my computer and the monitor was blinking different colors. Than I plugged my tower in and then I tried to turn it on and it blinked on and off the fan or anything won’t work, would that be the cmos battery? I am just asking because I have school work...
  4. Problem with tower

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. DPC_Watchdog Violation for Legion T5 Desktop Tower

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DPC_Watchdog Violation for Legion T5 Desktop Tower: Hello, I bring up this issue over here cause I and many other on Lenovo's support forum have been going about trying to figure out what is cause problems for our specific desktop tower. It's honestly just maddening how this is still going on. Link to that forum here:...
  6. DPC_Watchdog Violation for Legion T5 Desktop Tower

DPC_Watchdog Violation for Legion T5 Desktop Tower: Hello, I bring up this issue over here cause I and many other on Lenovo's support forum have been going about trying to figure out what is cause problems for our specific desktop tower. It's honestly just maddening how this is still going on. Link to that forum here:...
  7. DPC_Watchdog Violation for Legion T5 Desktop Tower

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Door-Tower

Door-Tower: My DVD door, on my tower, will not open, how to fix it, to open. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/door-tower/a625c131-41ae-4a35-99a5-67fdb15584db
  9. Door-Tower

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Door-Tower: My DVD door, on my tower, will not open, how to fix it, to open. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/door-tower/a625c131-41ae-4a35-99a5-67fdb15584db
  10. Desktop Tower DIY Question?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Tower DIY Question?: I know this might be a odd question but is it possible to place a DIY skin on a desktop Tower. I have (2) rolls of auto wrap which is a pretty red/pink color. I was wondering if it was possible to place the wrap on my desktop tower and my laptop so they both match. I want...