Windows 10: TPM 1.2 Lockout

Discus and support TPM 1.2 Lockout in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I entered a bitlocker key incorrectly and was told that there were too many attempts. This was about 36 hours ago I used the recovery key to get onto... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by RobBoston83, Jul 1, 2020.

1. TPM 1.2 Lockout

I entered a bitlocker key incorrectly and was told that there were too many attempts. This was about 36 hours ago

I used the recovery key to get onto my laptop but every time I restarted my machine the same error came up.

I have now done the following about 24-hours ago:

• Disabled Bitlocker including decrypting the drive
    • Disabled the TPM
    • Re-enabled the TPM
    • Cleared the TPM

When I try and enable bitlocker again I get the message "The TPM is defending against dictionary attacks and is in a time-out period"

Questions

1 How do I overcome this block?

2 How does the time-out period work - do you have to keep the computer turned on for the whole period for it to reset?

3 Does every time I try and re-enable bitlocker reset the lockout period timer?

It is a Dell laptop so I think the lockout period is 24-hours.

:)

RobBoston83, Jul 1, 2020

2. Windows 10 BitLocker and TPM lockout

Hi,

I have hit an issue with BitLocker which uses TPM on a Windows 10 laptop.

In the past you were able to take ownership of the TPM and export the key/password. The current version of Win10 no longer allows this. This would all be fine if you no longer needed the key. Unfortunately on this laptop the TPM has now got itself in a locked
    state after too many failed logins by the user. We were eventually able to login with the BitLocker recovery key after it rejected it initially. However because Windows retains ownership we do not have the TPM key and therefore we cannot do the reset.

I have trawled various TechNet articles and cannot see how we are supposed to resolve this. Does the TPM automatically clear the lockout itself after a period of time?

I have suspended BitLocker on that computer. It looks like I cannot resume it until the TPM lockout has ended.

Isn't this an oversight on how we are supposed to be able to resolve issues?

Thanks!

Stephen.

StephenGibb- [O365], Jul 1, 2020
  3. Rotage Win User
    Issues with TPM 1.2

Hi

I am trying to setup TPM on a Dell Optiplex 9020 Windows 7 machine and I have a strange issue. TPM is enabled in the bios and it is viewable in device manager under Security Devices but when I open up TPM management I get the following error "Compatible
    TPM cannot be found" I have updated all the Dell drivers and firmware and ensure all the latest windows updates have been applied. I have also cleared TPM in the bios along with deactivating and reactivating TPM

Any suggestions on what I can try next or if there are any logs I can view to give me more information

Thanks

Rotage, Jul 1, 2020
  4. Ethan.ASI Win User

TPM 1.2 Lockout

Issue after upgrading TPM firmware

Hello,

This is the update that I am trying to accomplish: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4096377/windows-10-update-security-processor-tpm-firmware

However after completing the steps that are listed within this article I am still not able to complete the actual upgrade. I still have the pop up that states i need to upgrade.

I followed the following steps:

1. ensure all upgrades are up to date.

2. download the specific .EXE firmware update file and run it on my machine as an administrator

3. clear TPM and restart.

however simple these steps are I have not been able to complete the update.

I am on a HP Z240 SFF 1.2 TPM

What can I do to ensure that my TPM is updated to the latest firmware?

Ethan.ASI, Jul 1, 2020
Thema:

TPM 1.2 Lockout

1. TPM 1.2 Lockout - Similar Threads - TPM Lockout

2. windows 11 is stuck at 1.2 TPM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 is stuck at 1.2 TPM: hi im on windows 11 pro however i am unable to get it to update my TPM to 2.0 with it being stuck at 1.2 and even looking through bios i am unable to change it at all so im unsure what t do...
  3. windows 11 is stuck at 1.2 TPM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 is stuck at 1.2 TPM: hi im on windows 11 pro however i am unable to get it to update my TPM to 2.0 with it being stuck at 1.2 and even looking through bios i am unable to change it at all so im unsure what t do...
  4. TPM failure - The system failed to change the state of the TPM. Please reboot the system to...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    TPM failure - The system failed to change the state of the TPM. Please reboot the system to...: I have a s Surface Book 2 with Windows 10 installed. WIndows 10 update KB5034441 fails with the error code 0x80070643. The Windows update page says "This PC doesn't currently meet the minimum system requirements to run WIndows 11." PC Health Check says "TPM 2.0 must be...
  5. TPM failure - The system failed to change the state of the TPM. Please reboot the system to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    TPM failure - The system failed to change the state of the TPM. Please reboot the system to...: I have a s Surface Book 2 with Windows 10 installed. WIndows 10 update KB5034441 fails with the error code 0x80070643. The Windows update page says "This PC doesn't currently meet the minimum system requirements to run WIndows 11." PC Health Check says "TPM 2.0 must be...
  6. TPM failure - The system failed to change the state of the TPM. Please reboot the system to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. TPM 2.0 during an insider update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    TPM 2.0 during an insider update: I've been running windows 11 pro since day one on this same machine. Yesterday I had updates as usual, Windows 11 insider preview 26200.5001 ge_prerelease to be exact. The issue is it won't download and install. During the install I get "TPM 2.0 must be supported" and the...
  8. TPM lockout screen RESOLVED by HP

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    TPM lockout screen RESOLVED by HP: If your PC's TPM settings changed and you're stuck on that white screen saying changes were made to the TPM settings because your USB devices won't work prior to device driver loading so you can't select accept or reject, here is the workthrough that did it for me.First...
  9. TPM/Surface PIN Lockout timer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    TPM/Surface PIN Lockout timer: Anyone know if there's any settings, such as group policy, that can change the lockout behaviour of Windows Hello PINs? So far i've noticed very inconsistent behaviour. On a VM typing the wrong PIN too many times, even repeatedly, just results in short (30 seconds) lockouts...
  10. TPM lockout for 2 hours

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    TPM lockout for 2 hours: Why do I get TPM locked out of Windows 10 for two hours with error "This sign in option is disabled because of failed sign in attempts or repeated shutdowns. Use a different sign in option or keep your device powered on for at least two hours and then try again." after...