Windows 10: TPM 2.0 must be present and enabled by default for all new Win 10 PC`s

Discus and support TPM 2.0 must be present and enabled by default for all new Win 10 PC`s in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; TPM 2.0 must be present and enabled by default for all new Windows 10 PCs on July 29, 2016 [img] Source and Pdf download:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Cluster Head, May 13, 2016.

1. TPM 2.0 must be present and enabled by default for all new Win 10 PC`s

Cluster Head, May 13, 2016

2. Do I need enable TPM 2.0 for my Windows 10 to get the security protection for my hard drive?

Yes, 'coz since July 28, 2016, all new device models, lines or series must implement and enabled TPM by default.

ShawnAngelo00, May 13, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Pro, more or less secure when TPM is enabled?

I'm not an IT professional, just a home user seeking knowledge.

I have two PC's, not networked nor on a domain. Both running Windows 10 Pro version 1703. Both are hardwired to the router. TPM 2.0 is enabled on the newer PC and the older PC does not have TPM, neither 1.2 or 2.0. Neither PC has BitLocker or Secure Boot
    enabled.

Automatic enabling of TPM is touted by MS as a security feature in Windows 10 if you have the appropriate hardware. What is the older PC without TPM vulnerable to that the newer PC with TPM is invulnerable? What does the presence of TPM prevent from occurring?
    What can happen to the non-TPM PC that cannot happen to the TPM PC?

I understand that antivirus software mitigates infection by a virus, malware etc. What does TPM mitigate? Does it prevent unauthorized remote access to my PC as a result of a download, an email or browsing an infected website?

I have talked with 7 people at MS and no one can give me a meaningful answer to these questions!

Or is it that TPM only enhances security when paired with Bitlocker and/or Secure Boot?

DanielKettler, May 13, 2016
  4. Geneo Win User

TPM 2.0 must be present and enabled by default for all new Win 10 PC`s

Are they serious, this is to be taken literally? Well that is a big deal. Most peoples desktops do not have a hardware installation of TPM or even have an option to install an add-on card. I have it on my current system, which isn't that old, but I had to buy a card to support it. This is more of their ill thought out strong arm tactics that screw their customers.

Geneo, May 13, 2016
  5. Geneo Win User
    Well you have to read the exception - this does not apply to OEM systems. However, it means that for people like me, who build their own systems, that you have to have a motherboard that supports TPM or a TPM add-on discrete module (mine was the latter) or your SOL. Another attempt to make it inconvenient to build your own.

Geneo, May 13, 2016
  6. Rocky Win User
    How do I get TPM 2.0? I don't know what it is or how I get it.

Rocky, May 13, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, May 13, 2016
  8. Geneo Win User

According to the article, you need to either have TPM 2,0 supported by your motherboard or get an add-on module if that is supported by your motherboard. This only applies if you have built your own computer. If you bought a computer, for example an HP or DELL, you do not need to worry.

If you built your own, consult your motherboard manual to see how and if TPM is supported.

Here is what a TPM header looks like:

TPM 2.0 must be present and enabled by default for all new Win 10 PC`s [​IMG]

and here is a module:

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Accessory...1&keywords=tpm

Geneo, May 13, 2016
  9. I'm expecting a big rise in Ransomware attacks.

Agreed.

Yet another attempt by MS to claim that they actually own your PC(s).
    It will (probably) make it harder to install a different OS.

lehnerus2000, May 13, 2016
  10. Mc Ruff Win User
    From my reading of it. This applies to manufacturers who are selling components. To be Win 10 compliant a new motherboard must have a TPM 2.0 module.

There is nothing different for the end user who wishes to build their own computer and install Win 10 on older gear. If you want to install another operating system on one of the new motherboards and that operating system does not use the TPM, you can disable it in the BIOS.

Mc Ruff, May 13, 2016
  11. - good to see them setting the standard firmly and squarely at the mobo
    - it's a kind of firmware "line in the sand"

BugMeister, May 13, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Completely agree. Way too much hand wringing going on with no basis.

NavyLCDR, May 13, 2016
  13. Geneo Win User

Well looking at the slides again, it is required for certain features like device health, but they do say TPM 2.0 is a minimum requirement for anniversary addition, though it does sound like maybe this might be for new sku. The language is kind of contradictory.

Here is some more from last year - not new news I guess:

http://www.uefi.org/sites/default/fi...SecureBoot.pdf

and a little more clear - no need to worry. Looks like it is only required if firmware supports it or the device is 1 year past RTM.

Geneo, May 13, 2016
  14. Mystere Win User
    If you don't read the exception carefully, you might think it says it doesn't apply to OEM's, but in fact it ONLY applies to OEM's. The exception is only for OEM's with specific requirements.

This is nothing more than a requirement to get the "Designed for Windows" logo for OEM's. If you build your own system, it doesn't apply to you.

This is not a case of the software not working on systems without TPM's, it's a case that MS won't allow you to have the logo if you don't have one.

Mystere, May 13, 2016
  15. Cliff S New Member
    Can I understand this then, it's just for some kind of seal then(Germans love those approval seals, on everything, by the way, right Frank?)
    I like the idea, personally, that my next PC will be even more secure(and with this implemented hopefully the 3rd party software).

Cliff S, May 13, 2016
Thema:

1. TPM 2.0 must be present and enabled by default for all new Win 10 PC`s - Similar Threads - TPM must present

2. "TPM 2.0 must be supported and enabled on this PC."

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "TPM 2.0 must be supported and enabled on this PC.": hi im having a issue upgrading to windows 11, i have a high end gaming machine and it wont let me upgrade because "TPM 2.0 must be supported and enabled on this PC.". I have watched a few youtube tutorials but no luck, TPM 2,0 is enabled in bios but it still says the same...
  3. "TPM 2.0 must be supported and enabled on this PC."

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "TPM 2.0 must be supported and enabled on this PC.": hi im having a issue upgrading to windows 11, i have a high end gaming machine and it wont let me upgrade because "TPM 2.0 must be supported and enabled on this PC.". I have watched a few youtube tutorials but no luck, TPM 2,0 is enabled in bios but it still says the same...
  4. "TPM 2.0 must be supported and enabled on this PC."

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Enable TPM

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Enable TPM: How do I enable the TPM on my Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 11e laptop running Windows 10 now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enable-tpm/9ca1050d-5065-449c-971a-e66ee817dba2
  6. Enable TPM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enable TPM: How do I enable the TPM on my Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 11e laptop running Windows 10 now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enable-tpm/9ca1050d-5065-449c-971a-e66ee817dba2
  7. Enable TPM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. ENABLE TPM

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    ENABLE TPM: I can NOT find a video on youtube or google on how can i enable tpm on my device ILIFE ZED NOTE CX3 PLEASE HELP ME https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enable-tpm/70df0f36-4c87-42d3-94d0-87f23cdf18fa
  9. ENABLE TPM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ENABLE TPM: I can NOT find a video on youtube or google on how can i enable tpm on my device ILIFE ZED NOTE CX3 PLEASE HELP ME https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enable-tpm/70df0f36-4c87-42d3-94d0-87f23cdf18fa
  10. Enabling TPM

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enabling TPM: Is it harmful to enable TPM in windows 10? What difference does it make by enabling it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enabling-tpm/b400cf82-d5a8-448c-80cf-cf21fc661418