Windows 10: TPM and Full disk encryption

Discus and support TPM and Full disk encryption in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have a new laptop (Lenova Yoga 730-13) with Windows 10 Home edition installed. It also has TPM for encryption. My question is this: Does TPM mean... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by dsm7114, Feb 27, 2019.

1. dsm7114 Win User

TPM and Full disk encryption

I have a new laptop (Lenova Yoga 730-13) with Windows 10 Home edition installed. It also has TPM for encryption. My question is this: Does TPM mean that I have Full Disk Encryption or do I need to upgrade to the professional version of Windows in order to achieve this? Thanks

:)

dsm7114, Feb 27, 2019
  2. Kursah Win User

Windows 10 devices now requires hardware encryption/TPM

I think pushing TPM requirements is a good thing, this should've been done years ago...why folks wouldn't want to use it is beyond me. For many industries where encryption is required, TPM has been required for years...and supporting 2.0+ standards is the obvious way to go.

We deploy A LOT of devices in the medical industry where TPM and active encryption are required, honestly @Solaris17 has TPM pretty well covered. It really is a good thing to be supportive of when deploying encrypted devices on a professional level and a personal level, how important is your data?

For those that might need a little more understanding for what TPM can provide, take a quick read:

http://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/use-tpm-guide-hardware-based-endpoint-security/

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749022(v=ws.10).aspx

What is a TPM, and Why Does Windows Need One For Disk Encryption?

Not saying software-only solutions are better or worse, but in my experience, TPM works very well, if its there, and you know how to use it right, then why not use it? Some situations where TPM is not available or supported by the provided encryption solution means sure don't use it, and requires another solution like a USB key...something you need not lose. Make your footprint small and make yourself seem like you're not worth the effort of breaking the encryption to access your data. This topic could really expand out into great depth in a hurry...

Kursah, Feb 27, 2019
  3. R-T-B Win User
    Need help on whether to clear TPM on not

Sounds like it was using the tpm to encrypt the main drive. Certainly not the norm. Also, the fact that you could not log in suggests the computer may be illegally repackaged or stolen.

Where did you buy this?

R-T-B, Feb 27, 2019
  4. Frick Win User

Windows 10 devices now requires hardware encryption/TPM

Stolen from Sweclockers, but it's in swedish.

So from now on devices (OEM built) needs a TPM module. Relevant bit:

Pretty interesting, but there's tons of questions I guess. I don't actually now anything about how TPM works, just that it's hardware, meaning the key is stored in a physical chip and that the decryption has to run through this chip. But I have no idea how let's say biometrics is tied to this. Or what the implications will be, or what exactly is encrypted. The entire storage or just the log in details as such?

Frick, Feb 27, 2019
Thema:

1. TPM and Full disk encryption - Similar Threads - TPM Full disk

2. Encrypted drive alterative to TPM.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encrypted drive alterative to TPM.: Could I install Bitlocker to encrypt my drive to install windows 11 on a PC that is not fitted with a TPM? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/encrypted-drive-alterative-to-tpm/7e855a94-03b1-405d-a2f4-b9647b5d1cef
  3. Encrypted drive alterative to TPM.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Encrypted drive alterative to TPM.: Could I install Bitlocker to encrypt my drive to install windows 11 on a PC that is not fitted with a TPM? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/encrypted-drive-alterative-to-tpm/7e855a94-03b1-405d-a2f4-b9647b5d1cef
  4. FULL Disk Encryption with Plausible Deniability

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    FULL Disk Encryption with Plausible Deniability: Is there a solution to obtain full disk encryption with plausible deniability in windows 10 using bitlocker? And a solution to store the required bootloader externally in a usb stick? full disk encryption with plausible deniability means a fully encrypted operating system...
  5. Is there any way to get Bitlocker full disk encryption (not device encryption) on a laptop...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any way to get Bitlocker full disk encryption (not device encryption) on a laptop...: I’m part of a Microsoft 365 Home family plan. Is there any way to implement full disk encryption using Bitlocker in this scenario? Or is Bitlocker FDE exclusively available to Windows 10 Pro editions? Device encryption isn’t enough for my use case - I need to be able to...
  6. Full disk encryption software

Full disk encryption software: Hello, I'm looking to fully encrypt a few computers at the house (running Windows 10 Home Edition). It seems most companies out there sell only to enterprise customers. I need something simple (my wife will never agree to dealing with VeraCrypt. You feel my pain?). I'm...
  7. Windows 10 Home full disk encryption questions

Windows 10 Home full disk encryption questions: I have a laptop with a built-in Windows 10 Home OEM license, but I upgraded it to a Pro retail key I purchased to enable Bitlocker with boot up PIN support. Now I need to make a Windows 10 vm, so I am considering reformatting my laptop back to W10 Home and using my retail...
  8. Windows 10 Home Laptop with built in full disk encryption

Windows 10 Home Laptop with built in full disk encryption: Are there any Windows 10 Home Laptop which have built in windows 10 based FDE? - I don't want to use a third party software to encrypt but was looking for an in-built windows solution - I know that Windows Pro has BitLocker but Windows 10 home doesn't. I also read some...
  9. disk encryption

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    disk encryption: i have encrypted my usb drive using bitlocker. but it wont open using the password and the recovery key. how can i decrypt it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-encryption/f881c6c3-b809-4c51-ac4b-d3ec9d79fcce
  10. SSD to support hardware based full disk encryption via BitLocker?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD to support hardware based full disk encryption via BitLocker?: Hi everyone: I'm trying to build a new desktop PC and I'm wondering if you can suggest which SSD (and motherboard) do I need to purchase to have it support hardware based full disk encryption with Windows 10 via BitLocker? I'm currently settling on Intel Core i9-7900X...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 pro hard disk encryption clear TPM

2. does TPM hardware encryption/decryption available on jetson?

3. tpm disk encryption