Windows 10: TPM Module for Gigabyte Motherboard

Discus and support TPM Module for Gigabyte Motherboard in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My 2012 Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard has a 20 pin TPM slot as shown below. Gigabyte advise the slot is for a v1.0 TPM module. It's unclear whether... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Steve C, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Steve C Win User

TPM Module for Gigabyte Motherboard

My 2012 Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard has a 20 pin TPM slot as shown below. Gigabyte advise the slot is for a v1.0 TPM module. It's unclear whether I need a bespoke Gigabyte TPM module or whether any 20 pin v1.0 TPM will work. I don't plan to use Bitlocker. In that case, what extra system security does the TPM provide? Will there be a problem accessing my data if there s ever a problem with the TPM module?

:)

Steve C, Jun 18, 2021
  2. ARC1020 Win User

Verify Trusted Platform Module (TPM) Chip on Windows PC

Something I came across not long ago, is Firmware-based Trusted Platform Modules (fTPM). Whereas before in order to take advantage of a TPM you needed to have a physical TPM chip soldered to the motherboard, that seems to have changed at some point. You can now have either a Discrete TPM (Physical chip) or Firmware-based TPM.

As per THIS article, fTPM is acknowledged by the Trusted Computing Group (TCG) as a perfectly valid form of TPM and seems to perform much the same functions as a physical TPM. For Intel, their fTPM is called Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT). I don't know what chips/motherboards/BIOS support PTT, however due to it being Firmware based (as the name suggests) and not requiring a separate physical chip, it means for some devices it's possible to retrospectively add a TPM to devices that didn't have one before.

Looking through the Intel NUC list, it's not just 6th gen Skylake NUC's that it's supported on, but also 5th gen Broadwell NUC's and 4th gen Haswell NUC's too. So if you have a NUC and you have the latest BIOS, then the chances are you have a TPM 2.0 module even if you didn't think you did. You just need to enable 'Intel Platform Trust Technology' in BIOS. As previously mentioned, I don't know what other manufacturers support/will support fTPM too.

The Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT) setting in Intel VisualBIOS:

TPM Module for Gigabyte Motherboard [​IMG]

With Intel PTT on in BIOS, Device Manager and tpm.msc show a TPM 2.0 module installed.

ARC1020, Jun 18, 2021
  3. sygnus21 Win User
    Infineon TPM Modules generating insecure RSA Keys

FYI...

I get emails for updates for my Lenovo ThinkPad notebook. That said, I got one this morning alerting me that some Lenovo notebooks using Infineon TPM modules are generating insecure RSA keys - RSA Keys Generated by Infineon TPMs are Insecure

Anyway, the link above lists affected notebooks; how to check your module; how get the firmware update. You can tell the updater to check the firmware before updating. Turns out I have a STMicro module, not an Infineon so I'm good....

For those running TMP modules, you can check the model and version by typing "tpm.msc" (without quotes) in the Run command. In the center panel, near bottom you should see TPM Manufacturer Information. It should list Manufacturer Name, Manufacturer Version, and Specification Version. Infineon modules will be listed as IFX under Manufacturer Name.

Edit: Asked Brink to post in News forums. Done.

sygnus21, Jun 18, 2021
  4. TPM Module for Gigabyte Motherboard

Initialisation of the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) failed

I'm not finding any specific issues on Win 10 1909, but ironically, there are a couple of known TPM issues on 2004.

If you do upgrade to 2004, I would suggest installing the currently available Cumulative Update Preview KB457144.

From the list of fixes there are 2 TPM related issues addressed:

1) Addresses an issue that causes communication with the TPM to time out and fail.

2) Addresses an issue that prevents hash signing from working correctly when using the Microsoft Platform Crypto Provider for Trusted Platform Modules (TPM). This issue might also affect networking software, such as virtual private network (VPN) applications.

Resources:

KB4571744 release notes:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...date-kb4571744

You can download the preview release here:

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft...px?q=kb4571744

EDIT: If you prefer, you can also download that preview cumulative update by going into the updates section of settings and choosing the option called "View optional updates".

hsehestedt, Jun 18, 2021
Thema:

TPM Module for Gigabyte Motherboard

1. TPM Module for Gigabyte Motherboard - Similar Threads - TPM Module Gigabyte

2. No TPM module is detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No TPM module is detected: Hello!!I am attempting to reinstall Windows 11 however I am told that I do not have TMP 2.0. To bypass that I have created the registry edit that should bypass that. That did not work. Then I checked in my BIOS to see if TPM is enabled however in the BIOS I am told that no...
  3. No TPM module is detected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No TPM module is detected: Hello!!I am attempting to reinstall Windows 11 however I am told that I do not have TMP 2.0. To bypass that I have created the registry edit that should bypass that. That did not work. Then I checked in my BIOS to see if TPM is enabled however in the BIOS I am told that no...
  4. TPM2.0 Gigabyte motherboards 2014

in Windows 10 Customization
    TPM2.0 Gigabyte motherboards 2014: I don't know how to open TPM2.0 and secure boots in Bios Gigabyte motherboards 2014. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tpm20-gigabyte-motherboards-2014/268f6686-7fa2-4686-9f2f-f942999089ca
  5. Trusted Platform Module TPM

in Windows 10 Customization
    Trusted Platform Module TPM: Hello, I have a TPM in my system which is for hardware security i want to know that am i gonna lose all of my data if at all the TPM Chip fails.. pls advice on thisThanks...
  6. I have just placed a TPM module on my Motherboard.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I have just placed a TPM module on my Motherboard.: Having just plugged in a TPM module to my Motherboard, is there any configuration I should make, to allow this device to properly work in the environment of my own computer?...
  7. trusted platform module (tpm)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    trusted platform module (tpm): windows defender is showing error msgunder security processor troubleshooting can't get tpm information please contact your system contact you device manufacturer. please help me on this . I am unable to use tpm functions in tpm.msc module. how to get it back....
  8. Gigabyte Motherboards: Are they good?

Gigabyte Motherboards: Are they good?: My new rig is experiencing bandwidth bottlenecks on PCIe slots. Not because ASUS is not a good brand but because of some uplanned PCIe hardware upgrades. I need to fix this bottleneck problems and the best candidate so far to replace this 2 month old ASUS Z97-A USB3.1...
  9. No sound on desktop Gigabyte motherboard

No sound on desktop Gigabyte motherboard: I just installed windows 10 for the first time and Ive got no sound. I went to the gigabyte driver site and installed the latest driver they have. (VIA HD Audio). I have read other threads on here about lowering the Bitrate down to 16 but that does help either. Everytime i...
  10. Trusted Platform Module (TPM)

in Windows 10 Support
    Trusted Platform Module (TPM): I just installed windows 10-1511 on my pc en it works perfect.Verry happy with it. But soon there will be come the anniversary update of windows 10.My motherboard supports TPM 1.0 but not TPM 2.0. For the anniversary update you need TPM 2.0.Does this mean that my computer...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. gigabyte ga-z77ud5h boot option remove old items

2. TPM for Gigabyte Z77x- UD5H

3. z77x-ud5h tpm slot