Windows 10: TPM setup; no way to enter|save|view TPM Password w/o prior password

Discus and support TPM setup; no way to enter|save|view TPM Password w/o prior password in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Just converted from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro yesterday, and afterwards installed a TPM chip. The chip is recognized by TPM Management. I haven't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by markmarz, Aug 28, 2016.

1. markmarz Win User

TPM setup; no way to enter|save|view TPM Password w/o prior password

Hi,

Just converted from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro yesterday, and afterwards installed a TPM chip. The chip is recognized by TPM Management. I haven't turned on Bitlocker yet.

The only way I can see to change the Owner Password first requires that I enter the current TPM Owner Password. The TPM seems to have been automatically initialized and Prepared by TPM Management. I assume that means an Owner Password has been generated but I have no idea what it is or how to back it up.

Perhaps it's tied into the Bitlocker Recovery Key? Just a guess; like I said I haven't turned on Bitlocker.

Has this something that has recently changed with Win 10? Is it safe to begin using Bitlocker even though I don't have the password saved offline?

Thanks,
    Mark M

:)

markmarz, Aug 28, 2016

2. Intel platform trust technology high CPU usage

Give this a try, it might not work.

Press Windows key + R

Type: tpmadmin.msc

Hit Enter

In the Action pane, click Turn TPM Off to display the Turn off the TPM Security Hardware page.

In the Turn off the TPM security hardware dialog box, select a method for entering your owner password and turning off the TPM:

If you have the removable media onto which you saved your TPM owner password, insert it, and then click I have a backup file with the TPM owner password. In the Select backup file with the TPM owner password dialog box, click Browse to locate the .tpm file
    saved on your removable media, click Open, and then click Turn TPM Off.

If you do not have the removable media onto which you saved your TPM owner password, click I want to type the TPM owner password. In the Type your TPM owner password dialog box, enter your password (including hyphens), and then click Turn TPM Off.

If you do not know your TPM owner password, click I do not have the TPM owner password, and follow the instructions provided in the dialog box and subsequent BIOS screens to turn off the TPM without entering the password.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 28, 2016
  3. Black screen on trying a clean install of Windows 10, with TPM warning

Hi Graham,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, I like to know; what is the base Operating System running in your system?

I like to inform you that, a TPM is a microchip designed to provide basic security-related functions, primarily involving encryption keys. The TPM is usually installed on the motherboard of a computer or laptop, and communicates with the rest
    of the system using a hardware bus.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to clear TPM (Trusted Platform Module) and check if it helps.

To clear the TPM

1) Press Windows key + r.

2) Type tpm.msc in the Open box, and then press ENTER. The TPM Management console is displayed.

3) If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click
    Continue.

Disclaimer: Clearing the TPM resets it to factory defaults. You will lose all created keys and any data protected only by those keys.

4) In the Actions tab, click Clear TPM. If the TPM is turned off, turn on the TPM before clearing it.

5) In the Clear the TPM security hardware dialog box, select a method for entering your password and clearing the TPM:

◦ If you have the removable media onto which you saved your TPM owner password, insert it and then click
    I have a backup file with the TPM owner password. In the
    Select backup file with the TPM owner password
    dialog box, click
    Browse
    to locate the .tpm file saved on your removable media, click
    Open, and then click Clear TPM.

◦ If you do not have the removable media onto which you saved your password,
    click I want to type the TPM owner password. In the Type your TPM owner password dialog box, enter your password (including dashes), and then click
    Clear TPM.

◦ If you do not know your TPM owner password, click
    I don't have the TPM owner password
    , and follow the instructions provided in the dialog box and subsequent BIOS screens to clear the TPM without entering the password.

Note: You can clear the TPM or perform a limited number of TPM management tasks without entering the TPM owner password by just being present at the computer.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Aug 28, 2016
Thema:

TPM setup; no way to enter|save|view TPM Password w/o prior password

1. TPM setup; no way to enter|save|view TPM Password w/o prior password - Similar Threads - TPM setup enter|save|view

2. Can't view saved passwords.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't view saved passwords.: I am able to use my login information for access to windows, however, when I use the same information to view saved passwords in any browser edge, chrome etc it shows that the username/password is incorrect. Have changed password and still not working. Any fixes?...
  3. Can't view saved passwords.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't view saved passwords.: I am able to use my login information for access to windows, however, when I use the same information to view saved passwords in any browser edge, chrome etc it shows that the username/password is incorrect. Have changed password and still not working. Any fixes?...
  4. Bitlocker with TPM, password, usbkey or yubikey

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker with TPM, password, usbkey or yubikey: Hi, Which would be more secure? BitLocker with TPM, password, and usb-key or yubikey? I believe I know how to configure the 3-factor combo in Windows 10 pro, but not the yubikey. Thank-You! 182280
  5. Bitlocker/TPM USB key/password question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker/TPM USB key/password question: [ATTACH] Hi! Just a question about Bitlocker/Trusted Platform Module (TPM). Because my PC doesn't have a TPM chip built in, everyone is saying I need a security password and a USB to store the authentication key. But, as pictured, my PC says "and/or." Do I need the USB...
  6. Password Reset w/o Bitlocker Key

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Password Reset w/o Bitlocker Key: One of our devices in the office that was used by a former employee, we cant find the password to log on to his PC. We tired to do a factory reset on the PC but it is asking for our Bitlocker key. When going to my Micro Acct we can see the device on our account but, it does...
  7. Viewing Saved Passwords in Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Viewing Saved Passwords in Settings: How do I view settings when I don't remember my Windows password or PIN? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/viewing-saved-passwords-in-settings/2c45f2e2-5e3e-49a2-a7a9-55cfef82af4f
  8. TPM or NO TPM That is the Question

TPM or NO TPM That is the Question: I have an Asus ROG Maximus Hero X WI-FI-AC and, even though this is built for gaming I use it for everyday work. I have two Two Samsung SSD's, the 970 Pro M.2 which is C drive and the 860 Evo is is D drive. I have done a lot of reading about the TPM that goes to this board...
  9. Bitlocker...TPM + PIN vs Password?

Bitlocker...TPM + PIN vs Password?: I have seen this question asked elsewhere several times, but with different answers...so I just want to make sure my understanding of BitLocker is correct. In the past, I had used BitLocker on several computers that did Not have a TPM...therefore I had to use a strong...
  10. Bitlocker with TPM and Offline Password Editor

Bitlocker with TPM and Offline Password Editor: Hi, If I enable Bitlocker with TPM (i.e. no passcode required on boot-up), and I have the Local Administrator account enabled on the machine (with my normal user account as a standard account), would it be possible for someone with a Hirens Boot CD blank/reset the Local...