Windows 10: TPM Virtual Smart Card creation

Discus and support TPM Virtual Smart Card creation in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, I'm having an issue regarding TPM Virtual Smart Card creation. I'm using a method from Windows.Devices.SmartCards.dll, SmartCardProvisioning... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Tomislav Šimović, Feb 7, 2019.

1. TPM Virtual Smart Card creation

Hello,

I'm having an issue regarding TPM Virtual Smart Card creation. I'm using a method from Windows.Devices.SmartCards.dll, SmartCardProvisioning class, RequestVirtualSmartCardCreationAsync(String, IBuffer, SmartCardPinPolicy), and I'm continuously getting an error showing:

Element not found. (Exception from HResult:0x80070490)

Stack exception is shown below:

at Windows.Devices.SmartCards.SmartCardProvisioning.RequestVirtualSmartCardCreationAsync(String friendlyName, IBuffer administrativeKey, SmartCardPinPolicy pinPolicy, Guid cardId)

at POC_VSC.TPMVSC.<ScenarioCreateTpmVirtualSmartCard>d__3.MoveNext() in D:\Projects\POC_VSC\POC_VSC\TPMVSC.cs:line 87

A line below is responsible for the error:

SmartCardProvisioning cardProvisioning = await SmartCardProvisioning.RequestVirtualSmartCardCreationAsync(
    "Contoso Virtual Smart Card", adminKey, pinPolicy, Guid.NewGuid());

Complete method I'm using is:

public async void ScenarioCreateTpmVirtualSmartCard()
    {
    IBuffer adminKey = CryptographicBuffer.CreateFromByteArray(
    new byte[] {
    0x01, 0x02, 0x03, 0x04, 0x05, 0x06, 0x07, 0x08,
    0x01, 0x02, 0x03, 0x04, 0x05, 0x06, 0x07, 0x08,
    0x01, 0x02, 0x03, 0x04, 0x05, 0x06, 0x07, 0x08
    });
    SmartCardPinPolicy pinPolicy = new SmartCardPinPolicy()
    {
    MinLength = 8,
    MaxLength = 127,
    LowercaseLetters = SmartCardPinCharacterPolicyOption.Allow,
    UppercaseLetters = SmartCardPinCharacterPolicyOption.Allow,
    Digits = SmartCardPinCharacterPolicyOption.Allow,
    SpecialCharacters = SmartCardPinCharacterPolicyOption.Allow
    };
    SmartCardProvisioning cardProvisioning = await SmartCardProvisioning.RequestVirtualSmartCardCreationAsync(
    "Contoso Virtual Smart Card", adminKey, pinPolicy, Guid.NewGuid());
    if (cardProvisioning == null)
    return;
    }

I'm using VS 2017 and I'm running this example on Windows 10. Any help or suggestion would be really appreciated...

:)

Tomislav Šimović, Feb 7, 2019

2. Error in creating tpm virtual smart card on Windows 10

When I try to create a tpm virtual smart card under in command line with adminstrator privilege,

it returns the error: the card cannot be accessed because the maximum number of PIN entry attempts has been reached. (The error code is 0x8010006c.)

The command I use is : tpmvscmgr.exe create /name tpmvsc /pin default /adminkey random /generate.

Anybody knows what's wrong with it?

XueyangZhao, Feb 7, 2019
  3. Error in creating tpm virtual smart card on Windows 10

Hi Xueyang,

We understand that you are receiving error when creating TPM virtual Smart card.

This issue is better suited in TechNet forum. We have a dedicated team with advanced tools and permission to help you with this issue. So I suggest you to post the same query in TechNet forum.

Technet forums

For further assistance related to Windows feel free to post your queries in Microsoft forums. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Feb 7, 2019
  4. Junaid_A Win User

TPM Virtual Smart Card creation

Disable PIN caching for Virtual Smart Cards

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

Pass-through authentication with smart cards work on domain environments. You may want to go through
    Use Virtual Smart Cards to know
    more about the same. As this requires expertise in an environment which has a direct two-way trust relationship, I suggest you to post your query in the
    TechNet forums.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Feb 7, 2019
Thema:

TPM Virtual Smart Card creation

1. TPM Virtual Smart Card creation - Similar Threads - TPM Virtual Smart

2. Virtual Smart Card user on a Windows 10 login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual Smart Card user on a Windows 10 login: I wanted to know if it was possible to have the login screen only show the Smart Card login when a user wakes up a windows machine https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-smart-card-user-on-a-windows-10-login/0eeb093a-44d6-4072-ab75-0c5b93c2e549
  3. Virtual Smart Card user on a Windows 10 login

in Windows 10 Customization
    Virtual Smart Card user on a Windows 10 login: I wanted to know if it was possible to have the login screen only show the Smart Card login when a user wakes up a windows machine https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-smart-card-user-on-a-windows-10-login/0eeb093a-44d6-4072-ab75-0c5b93c2e549
  4. Future deprecation of virtual smart cards

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Future deprecation of virtual smart cards: Hello,On https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/identity-protection/virtual-smart-cards/virtual-smart-card-overview, there is the following note:Windows Hello for Business is the modern, two-factor authentication for Windows 10. Microsoft will be deprecating...
  5. Future deprecation of virtual smart cards

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Future deprecation of virtual smart cards: Hello,On https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/identity-protection/virtual-smart-cards/virtual-smart-card-overview, there is the following note:Windows Hello for Business is the modern, two-factor authentication for Windows 10. Microsoft will be deprecating...
  6. Future deprecation of virtual smart cards

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Virtual Smart Card lock

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Virtual Smart Card lock: Hello. Our company uses Windows authorization and some other services using a virtual smart card. The problem is that the virtual smart card is blocked after 5 incorrect PIN entries. It is the smart card that is blocked, not the TPM. Tell me, is it possible to somehow...
  8. Virtual Machine is not reading Smart Card reader and Smart card after Windows update.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Virtual Machine is not reading Smart Card reader and Smart card after Windows update.: Environment: WIN10 v1607 ENT N 2016 2016 / Virtual Machine - (Physical desktops with updates operate correctly) Since installing latest updates, all VM's will not read the certificates. However both objects "SCR35xx Smart Card Reader" and "Smart Card" -ARE- shown in device...
  9. About the security of Virtual Smart Cards

About the security of Virtual Smart Cards: Hello all, Trying to have a good overview about the security of Virtual Smart Cards relying on TPMs, I read this very short article (the only I found) covering this topic (first part):...
  10. Disable PIN caching for Virtual Smart Cards

Disable PIN caching for Virtual Smart Cards: We want to store digital certificates for PDF signing in virtual smart cards. Due to regulatory reasons (FDA, we are developing medical devices), I have to assure that the PIN protecting the certificate has to be (re-)entered for each document to be signed. The default...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. tpm virtual smart card pin tries

2. the card cannot be accessed because the maximum number of pin entry attempts has been reached tpm