Windows 10: Tracert or ping not working, general failure

Discus and support Tracert or ping not working, general failure in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I tried a tracert today and it failed. I tried it a few different ways and the results are below. C:\Windows\System32>tracert bbc.co.uk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Scylipt, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Scylipt Win User

Tracert or ping not working, general failure

Hello,

I tried a tracert today and it failed. I tried it a few different ways and the results are below.

C:\Windows\System32>tracert bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [151.101.192.81]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * General failure.

Trace complete.

C:\Windows\System32>tracert BBC - Home

Tracing route to gtmlivelive-eu-c-1nlbwwwcouk-17e0f31403454351.elb.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com [3.120.156.170]

1 * General failure.

Trace complete.

C:\Windows\System32>tracert -4 BBC - Home

Tracing route to gtmlivelive-eu-c-1nlbwwwcouk-17e0f31403454351.elb.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com [35.156.134.252]

1 * General failure.

Trace complete.

I also tried it with ping with similar results.

C:\Windows\System32>ping BBC - Homepage

Pinging gtmlivelive-eu-c-1nlbwwwcom-8168f86a0c0d146f.elb.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com [18.195.39.25] with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    General failure.
    General failure.
    General failure.

Ping statistics for 18.195.39.25:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Can anyone help figuring out why this is happening?

Regards, Henry

Edit....

I also tried with the firewall off with the same results.

:)

Scylipt, Feb 19, 2019

2. Ping General Failure with bridged Adaptors in Win10

Hello,

I have encountered a strange problem in Windows 10.

After creating a Network Bridge between two a network adapters I can not use ping or tracert. I get a General Failure error returned.

The adapters are a physical Network Adaptor and a VMWare virtual Adaptor. I can not use the bridging built into VMware version 10 as it doesn't work in Windows 10.

All other networking seems to work Ok on the host. nslookup, internet file sharing etc. I have tried disabling / reconfiguring the firewall but that doesn't seem to be the problem. I have tried removing protocols I don't use but that has not made any difference.

I can ping from the VM Guest Ok over the bridged connection.

As soon as I remove the bridge ping works again.

Any ideas as to a solution would be good.

Regards,

Brian.

Brian Beaumont, Feb 19, 2019
  3. burit0 Win User
    PING: transmit failed. General failure.

No Microsoft. You are wrong.

"General failure" is always the the wrong answer.

Tell me something useful that I can debug. "General failure" tells me nothing.

"ping" is an age old diagnostic tool. You have neutered it.

burit0, Feb 19, 2019
  4. EdTittel Win User

Cannot ping or tracert But internet works fine...

Actually, the correct syntax is tracert -4 <hostname> or ping -4 <hostname>. By default Windows 10 seeks to use IPv6, so if it's not enabled on your outbound network device or connection (for many folks IPv6 will not be turned on at their routers) a basic ping or tracert command that lacks the -4 IPv4 designator may not work (as yours did not). I just got a huge and welcome surprise when I started doing some local testing here:

Tracert or ping not working, general failure [​IMG]

Apparently, TimeWarner/Spectrum has recently shifted over to IPv6 and everything is working fine. They did this without telling us poor users anything but I'm totally jazzed to be catching up to the 1990s on my LAN!
    The good news is this is handled on the ISP side of your connection and/or at the router (especially when, as in my case, the boundary device is rental equipment from the ISP itself). You can't really do anything to fix this, except to make sure that IPv6 is enabled on your client PCs (and if you haven't turned it off, it is enabled in Win10 by default).
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 19, 2019
Thema:

1. Tracert or ping not working, general failure - Similar Threads - Tracert ping working

2. Ping "General failure" ~50% of the time

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ping "General failure" ~50% of the time: Around 50% of the time when running a ping, its returning "General Failure" for an unknown reason. This is leading to very dodgy internet. It works absolutely fine on Linuxping 8.8.8.8 -tReply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=114Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=18ms...
  3. General Failure on ping 127.0.0.1 or dedicated IP

General Failure on ping 127.0.0.1 or dedicated IP: Hello! I have a big problem with reaching one of computers within home LAN. I am not sure if it is because of last 20H2 update, but there are no problems on my Server WS 2016 or other PC stations, so I assume it is also not group policy. Problem:...
  4. Ping 192.168.0.* returns 'General Failure'

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ping 192.168.0.* returns 'General Failure': submitted by /u/Maelstrive [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ji1wo3/ping_1921680_returns_general_failure/
  5. Ping - General Failure

Ping - General Failure: I have a laptop .193 that connects to my home network through a wireless access point .162. I can access the internet and I can ping out google.com and 8.8.8.8. I cannot ping anything in my network, including the gateway. Everything, including the laptop is static IP. I...
  6. General Ping Failure help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    General Ping Failure help: [ATTACH] So, for some reason I can't ping my default gateway... I have tried these cmd commands: netsh int ip reset netsh winsock reset netsh int ip reset Tried to turn off all firewalls, and when I type the default gateway in a webbrowser I just get "Your Internet...
  7. Ping 192.168.1.1 General Failure

Ping 192.168.1.1 General Failure: Hi. I have a problem in one of my computers. It successfully gets IP address from my router and successfully connects to the Internet. However, it can't detect my network WD drive, and while testing I discovered that it fails even to ping it's own IP address and even my...
  8. Ping 168.192.1.1 General Failure

Ping 168.192.1.1 General Failure: Hi. I have a problem in one of my computers. It successfully gets IP address from my router and successfully connects to the Internet. However, it can't detect my network WD drive, and while testing I discovered that it fails even to ping it's own IP address and even my...
  9. PING: transmit failed. General failure.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PING: transmit failed. General failure.: No Microsoft. You are wrong. "General failure" is always the the wrong answer. Tell me something useful that I can debug. "General failure" tells me nothing. "ping" is an age old diagnostic tool. You have neutered it....
  10. Cannot ping or tracert But internet works fine...

Cannot ping or tracert But internet works fine...: Computer gets online fine, can not ping or tracert. Tried default DNS and custom 8.8.8.8 - 8.8.4.4. Problem persist with AV on or off. Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586] (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Windows\system32>tracert google.com...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. tracert ipv6 general failure

2. sudden problem with ping general failure

3. transmit failed. general failure result after hopst ping guest on nat adapter

4. tracert and ping not working,
  5. setinelone tracert ping general failure,
  6. general failure over a maximum of 30 hops,
  7. tracert general failure,
  8. ping requst general failure,
  9. ping and tracert generic failure server 2016