Windows 10: Tracking specific Explorer shell folder / instance via "//" /title

Discus and support Tracking specific Explorer shell folder / instance via "//" /title in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Before the main topic it is extremely important establish a few axioms: Anyone attempting to help me figure this out needs to know what the Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jabcreations, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Tracking specific Explorer shell folder / instance via "//" /title

Before the main topic it is extremely important establish a few axioms:

• Anyone attempting to help me figure this out needs to know what the Windows Shell is and how commands to explorer.exe work.
    • When I refer to My Documents I am referring to what Microsoft now calls "User Files".
    • When I refer to Windows Explorer I am referring to what Microsoft now calls "File Explorer.
    • In order to view My Documents in Windows Explorer one must fix the two settings in the Folder Options as I've highlighted in the first image.
    • The Run command to open the My Documents folder is %windir%\explorer.exe shell:UsersFilesFolder.
    • Windows 10 Pro x64.

Tracking specific Explorer shell folder / instance via "//" /title [​IMG]

Question: How do I track the instance of Windows Explorer that is initialized by the command %windir%\explorer.exe shell:UsersFilesFolder\JAB Creations?

Clarification: I have been building a windows batch program that automatically opens up windows in a set order. The one window I am having difficulty with is my work directory, JAB Creations. I have come across a possible method though I will go in to it in a moment. It is extremely important to note that I have removed the My Documents child folders from My Computer (in the second image John's Desktop) as they do not belong there - please no superfluous "you can't do that to your own PC!" comments. When the window launches I want it to open the JAB Creations folder explicitly listed under My Documents instead of My Computer - which I have already figured out (%windir%\explorer.exe shell:UsersFilesFolder\JAB Creations).

Tracking specific Explorer shell folder / instance via "//" /title [​IMG]

I have come across information about tracking individual explorer.exe instances via some parameters as "//" /title however I have not been able to determine how to successfully combine the arguments in to a single command. Typically what happens is either another random explorer.exe instance opens or another command prompt.

The tracking of the window seems to work via the command tasklist /fi "imagename eq explorer.exe" /fo list /v. However I have only been able to track regular windows as again, I have not been able to combine the shell command with the title parameter.

Suggestions please?

:)

jabcreations, Feb 6, 2020
  2. concord72 Win User

Multiple instances of Windows Explorer

So in the Processes tab, under Apps, however many Windows Explorers I actually have open is however many it will list, and expanding will list the specific folder that is open, there is no problem there. The problem is when you scroll down to Windows processes, that's where all the multiple instances are. Right now it's only showing 7 but that is because I restarted my computer a couple hours ago, I've counted as many as 40+ before.

concord72, Feb 6, 2020
  3. avelos156 Win User
    Unable to "Turn on Tracking Protection" for a specific administrator account

IE11 (automatic updates), Win10.

I'm unable to set Tracking Protection working for a specific user account. While for all other user accounts (normal users) in the same machine Tracking Protection works, for the administrator account it cannot be enabled.

I have downloaded 3 tracking protection lists that are in status "Enabled".

The lists can be enabled/disabled freely.

Even though all 3 lists are enabled, tracking protection does not work at all.

When I click on Settings -> Safety, the corresponding menu option always reads "Turn on Tracking Protection" no matter how many times I select it. In the other accounts where the tracking protection works this menu option reads "Turn off Tracking Protection".

The account's personalized tracking protection list remains in status "Disabled" no matter how many times I have tried to enable it. Although I do not need this list at all, it is an indication/confirmation that something is wrong with my tracking protection.
    For the other user accounts the personalized tracking protection list can be freely enabled/disabled.

I run the ProcessMonitor to see if there is any kind of access issues with the administrator account, but it looks pretty good. No "Access Denied" issues, no weird results.

I also completely removed all IE folders in appdata folder and all IE enties under registry key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer. Everything was recreated at IE11 first launch, however the issue remains.

Any suggestions?

avelos156, Feb 6, 2020
  4. Tracking specific Explorer shell folder / instance via "//" /title

omit "the" from folder titles

Hello, I have a music folder with about 800 folders and was wondering is there a way to list the folders alphabetically and have the folders with "the" in the title be listed by the second word. What i'm trying to say is for instance, The Rolling Stones
    would appear alphabetically with the R's and not the T's.

thanks

mick

MickMeyers, Feb 6, 2020
Thema:

Tracking specific Explorer shell folder / instance via "//" /title

1. Tracking specific Explorer shell folder / instance via "//" /title - Similar Threads - Tracking specific Explorer

2. Desktop Shell Folder Merged with User Shell Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop Shell Folder Merged with User Shell Folder: Tried to move some files between drives to free up space on C. Ended up transferring the entire Desktop Shell to D. When I moved it back, it merged Desktop with User and now the User Shell Folders in Registry are a bit of a mess.I moved Desktop back into its own User Shell...
  3. Desktop Shell Folder Merged with User Shell Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Shell Folder Merged with User Shell Folder: Tried to move some files between drives to free up space on C. Ended up transferring the entire Desktop Shell to D. When I moved it back, it merged Desktop with User and now the User Shell Folders in Registry are a bit of a mess.I moved Desktop back into its own User Shell...
  4. Desktop Shell Folder Merged with User Shell Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Titles on folders

Titles on folders: Hi, my brother has a problem. He was outside, he came in house and started computer. When he did everything was normal unitl background showed up. Somehow it changed it's color by itself. And he can't see names of folders, he can see names on background but not in map. What...
  6. The Track Titles Changed in Media Player

The Track Titles Changed in Media Player: Hello I am ripping some Stuart McClean cd's to my computer so I can listen to them on my phone. I loaded all of the disks and it went smoothly except for the second disk. When I opened Media Player, it showed the track titles in a different text see attached picture. What...
  7. shell extension for Explorer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    shell extension for Explorer: Does Windows Explorer have some shell extension available which adds a function to File Properties that would display the "Comments" field for PSD image files in Windows 10? I am able to see this field in Windows 7 If so, how can I access this capability and install it?...
  8. Restoring Pictures titles to original folder prior to a specific date

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restoring Pictures titles to original folder prior to a specific date: I was downloading photos from iphone to Windows 10 computer into my pictures folder. I thought I was downloading most recent pics and created a description for the new folder. What happened, it changed the name of all my pictures in the original folder to the new name. Is...
  9. folder titles

folder titles: How can I revert a folder number list to folder file names? Download of folder files just appeared as a numbers list vs the folder names. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-titles/7518959c-6a46-4c3e-9e42-253f367a0dc0"
  10. Accessing a new File Explorer library via "shell" command

Accessing a new File Explorer library via "shell" command: I have created a library using File Explorer called "Downloads Library." What I'd like to do is open this library in a similar way as "shell:DocumentsLibrary." However, there does not seem to be a default shell "shortcut" for this library I created. Is the only remedy for...