Windows 10: Trackpad scrolling pattern

Discus and support Trackpad scrolling pattern in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Usually when I am scrolling with the trackpad, the window will keep scrolling for as long as I am moving my fingers. Then sometimes it will switch and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by GibbyGraf, Oct 27, 2019.

1. GibbyGraf Win User

Trackpad scrolling pattern

Usually when I am scrolling with the trackpad, the window will keep scrolling for as long as I am moving my fingers. Then sometimes it will switch and it will only scroll a certain number of lines until I let go, at which point it will sort of free scroll for a second or until I touch the trackpad again.

Are there two different modes for scrolling? How do I switch back to the first mode? It seems to switch randomly.

:)

GibbyGraf, Oct 27, 2019

2. Precision Trackpad Scrolling Broken Since Creators Update

This is a revival of
    this thread
    . It was locked for an unknown reason, despite the issue clearly still being relevant.

Ever since over a year ago when the initial Creators Update dropped, scrolling on precision trackpads has been a hot mess. The effects of the update include:

• Certain applications experience extreme stutter while scrolling with a precision trackpad(example). The graphics seem to only update when
      there is a decent break in between scroll events.
    • Applications such as Windows Explorer, Notepad, Notepad++, etc that would have normally scrolled line-by-line at a fast rate now scroll several lines at a time(depending on the value in Settings>Devices>Mouse) at a slow rate. This leads to much less precise
      scroll that you would expect from a precision trackpad. Windows Explorer has since been specifically fixed in the Fall Creators Update, but all other applications are left in the dust.

It's been said that the reason for these issues is due to precision trackpads now using mouse scroll events, in contrast to the previous method of directly manipulating scrollbars just as touchscreens do. While it does seem to make sense to use actual scroll
    events, the previous method of scrolling provided a vastly better experience.

This thread is meant to be both a question and a suggestion. The suggestion being to revert back to the old method of scrolling. The question being, is there any (even hacky) method to restore old precision trackpad scrolling functionality? It's been over
    a year now, and it's been thoroughly frustrating to not have any fix for this.

Brett Butcher, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Trackpad Scrolling Problems In Creators Update

I love the Creators Update-- it has a good amount of features that are applicable for me on my Surface Pro 4. However, trackpad scrolling has just been completely obliterated. It's really been a nightmare. Here's the problems I'm experiencing:

• Scrolling in applications that support smooth scrolling have been slowed down to about half the speed, resulting in too slow of a speed. In order to offset this loss, I must set the number of lines scrolled to a higher number, but now applications that
      don't support smooth scrolling go way too fast!

Someone told me on Reddit that previous to the Creators Update, trackpad scrolling directly manipulated scroll bars on legacy applications. Now, mouse scroll events are sent to the application. This explains another problem-- applications that don't support
      horizontal scrolling don't scroll horizontally any longer. The previous method of scrolling really provided a better experience. Is there any way to revert to the old ways?
    • Some Java applications(Eclipse and IntelliJ confirmed) have super glitchy trackpad scrolling(I assume due to the previous point). While you moving your fingers on the trackpad, some of the graphics freezes up. Using a mouse to scroll or flinging on a trackpad
      does not produce this issue. Here's
      a gif
      of what's going on. I'm thinking that the problem is a flood of events, thus preventing repainting. I don't know what the source code of Eclipse looks like, but that's just my idea. Perhaps I'll run a profiler later to see just how many events are
      firing.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Brett Butcher, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Trackpad scrolling pattern

Trackpad Scrolling Problems In Creators Update

I did try to update the driver but the most recent driver was already installed, So now I just tried by uninstalling the previous driver and restarting the computer so the driver reinstall itself but it did not solve anything. Finally I downloaded the drivers
    for surface book from the Microsoft website and install them, reboot the computer and still the problem persist.

So I ran the troubleshooter as you suggested, which by the way if useful for somebody else's the first step is to access the control panel and then type "troubleshooting" in the search bar, anyhow, the troubleshooter did no found any problem, which is probably
    unsurprising since the tracking is technically working.

Also I have found another example/place where the tracking is not smooth and it is in windows explorer, just open a folder with enough files inside so you can scroll, the trackpad is scrolling 3 lines at a time, like no precision trackpad or anything is
    present. But again, in this very same web page, using Edge or Chrome the scroll is buttery smooth.

Galo Egas G, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Trackpad scrolling pattern

1. Trackpad scrolling pattern - Similar Threads - Trackpad scrolling pattern

2. Trackpad two-finger scroll is not working, device manager shows trackpad as "PS/2...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trackpad two-finger scroll is not working, device manager shows trackpad as "PS/2...: There are no options to turn on two-finger scroll in the Touchpad settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/trackpad-two-finger-scroll-is-not-working-device/ca568396-eb4d-4413-b5db-c2f8808c9ebe
  3. Trackpad two-finger scroll is not working, device manager shows trackpad as "PS/2...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trackpad two-finger scroll is not working, device manager shows trackpad as "PS/2...: There are no options to turn on two-finger scroll in the Touchpad settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/trackpad-two-finger-scroll-is-not-working-device/ca568396-eb4d-4413-b5db-c2f8808c9ebe
  4. Trackpad two-finger scroll is not working, device manager shows trackpad as "PS/2...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Two finger trackpad scrolling wont work

Two finger trackpad scrolling wont work: Hello, I recently restarted my laptop to wipe it clean and start fresh I had to boot using a USB. The two finger scroll on the track pad is not working anymore though, why is this? Can anyone help? Thank you, Sam...
  6. Inconsistent trackpad scroll speed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Inconsistent trackpad scroll speed: Hello, I searched all over google to no avail. Trackpad scroll is inconsisten across apps. Some work fine, like firefox and settings menu, others like discord, steam, EGS, Spotify go from 0 to 100 in a milisecond.... it's super annoying, and it only happens in Windows (it...
  7. Trackpad Scroll Reversed in Windows 10

Trackpad Scroll Reversed in Windows 10: I just upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, and it reversed the trackpad scroll. The only option under touchpad in settings is sensitivity. I have an ASUS laptop, and I think my trackpad has a ELAN driver. I have ASUS Smart Gesture installed, but there is no option to...
  8. Start menu trackpad scrolling

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu trackpad scrolling: Hey guys ever since the 1903 update, I can't scroll down my apps and programs in the start menu usimg the trackpad scrolling gesture, so I have to use the slider on the side which quite inconvenient, I can use the scroll wheel if I have a mouse plugged tho. Anyone know how to...
  9. Scrolling Does Not Work With Mouse, Trackpad, or Arrows

Scrolling Does Not Work With Mouse, Trackpad, or Arrows: My windows 10 version is 1809. I developed a problem where I can't scroll. It just keeps going down but if I try to scroll up it will race back down again. This happens with the USB mouse, as well as when using the arrow on the trackpad by clicking it near the top of the...
  10. Windows 10 Mail App---trackpad scrolling

in Browsers and Email
    Windows 10 Mail App---trackpad scrolling: Is this just happening to me? In the Windows 10 Mail App, I can scroll up and down using the touch screen and mouse wheel but not with the trackpad using two finger scrolling although it works in other apps. Edit: Doesn't work in Calendar or Edge either. 63059