Windows 10: Trackpad tap to click, disable dragging

Discus and support Trackpad tap to click, disable dragging in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So since my trackpad is trash I had to enable this and it's likeable, my issue with this is that if I tap 2 times in a "short" time on a chrome tab,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TheMode911, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Trackpad tap to click, disable dragging

So since my trackpad is trash I had to enable this and it's likeable, my issue with this is that if I tap 2 times in a "short" time on a chrome tab, for instance, it will start dragging it and its really annoying.

Basically I want it to register a click, but not remembering a "is still pressing" state which annoys more than anything else. I didn't find any kind of option to control the behaviour, macOS does it fine though

submitted by /u/TheMode911
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/TheMode911, Oct 22, 2020
  2. Thanatica Win User

Touchpad: Tap twice to drag

Here's how it works standardly:

1. Tap twice
    2. Hold down on the second tap
    3. Move around and you're dragging
    4. Release finger to stop dragging

Here's what I like it to do:

1. Tap twice
    2. Hold down on the second tap
    3. Move around and you're dragging
    4. Release finger
    5. Reposition finger and continue dragging by flicking the touchpad some more
    6. (repeat steps 4 & 5 as many times as desired)
    7. Release finger and perform one addditional tap to stop dragging

That's what it used to be like in the Windows 7 era with most touchpads. Some people found it annoying and disabled it, but I welcomed it.

I know dragging continues when your finger reaches the touchpad edges, but that I find greatly irritating because it looses all sense of precision. This mechanism is stupendously irritating when trying to pixel-precise drag a trackbar, or when doing some
    painting in photoshop on the go. Or just anything that requires precision.

So I'd like to disable "drag continues at touchpad edge" and enable "require additional tap to stop dragging".

So how can I do that?

If not possible, then please consider this a feature request.

Thanatica, Oct 22, 2020
  3. rohannb Win User
    How do I disable tap-to-click in Windows 10?

Whenever I type, the edge of my thumb tends to touch the trackpad on my laptop, causing the mouse to click or drag, which can end up with me suddenly typing in the wrong place. I often end up having to disable the trackpad entirely, which is annoying if
    I don't have a mouse nearby. I don't ever use the tap-to-click function; if I want to click something with my trackpad, I press it down.

I already looked up some suggestions to disable tap-to-click online, but none of them seem to work. Is there any way to disable tap-to-click, and if so, how?

Thanks, Rohan

rohannb, Oct 22, 2020
  4. Trackpad tap to click, disable dragging

PLEASE !! disable "tap-click" on my trackpad.

Hello Robert, thx for your suggestion but it doesn't work. In the mouse control panel on my older HP (which is running latest Window), there is a check-box to disable tap-click. In my brand new MSI notebook, that checkbox is missing. Both are Synaptics
    trackpads. I then took the HP's driver install pkg and applied it onto the MSI, hoping to see the checkbox appear. But unfortunately no. MSI 2nd level support said this was explicitly removed by Microsoft in latest Windows and there was nothing they or Synaptics
    could do about it. I have to assume they know what they are talking about.

Further: there are many blogs/postings saying that there is 'disable tap-click' in the Settings 'app' (ugh) under Personalization. And true it is there on my older HP (running latest Windows). However it is NOT there on the new MSI.

(no display name), Oct 22, 2020
Thema:

Trackpad tap to click, disable dragging

1. Trackpad tap to click, disable dragging - Similar Threads - Trackpad tap click

2. Disabling Tap to Click on Wireless Keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disabling Tap to Click on Wireless Keyboard: I haven't been able to find a setting for my keyboard's 'Tap to Click' on the touchpad.Does Windows 11 have a setting for the mousepad?I could use the keyboard software. Trying to eliminate startup items.James...
  3. Disabling Tap to Click on Wireless Keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disabling Tap to Click on Wireless Keyboard: I haven't been able to find a setting for my keyboard's 'Tap to Click' on the touchpad.Does Windows 11 have a setting for the mousepad?I could use the keyboard software. Trying to eliminate startup items.James...
  4. How to disable tap and drag feature?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable tap and drag feature?: There is a feature where you can tap the top of tab and drag it around to form a new window or just rearrange the order of the tabs in the browser. Is there any way to disable this feature? submitted by /u/Zalamb1500 [link] [comments]...
  5. How to disable tap clicking?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable tap clicking?: I cant stand tap clicking, how can I disable it? In other versions of windows I was able to do it pretty easily in the settings, but now I cant find the option. Anyone know how to do it? submitted by /u/MrYoshi411 [link] [comments]...
  6. How to disable tap to click

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to disable tap to click: I have tried pretty much everything people have said online but nothing works! either the tabs aren't there or the solutions just don't work. I am at my wit's end! Computer is an Alienware Area 51m...
  7. Disable tap to click on touchpad.

Disable tap to click on touchpad.: I recently installed an update to Windows 10. I originally had my touchpad set to only use the buttons to click, because I GODDAMN HATE WHEN THE TOUCHPAD ACCIDENTALLY CLICKS ON SOMETHING WHEN I BRUSH MY HAND ACROSS IT!!! I can't find anywhere to turn it off, and I swear to...
  8. Disabling tap to click in windows 10

Disabling tap to click in windows 10: I have an MSI computer with a Synaptics touch pad. I have not been able to disable the tap to click "feature" on the touch pad MSI says it is all controlled by Windows 10 and I have to wait to see if they fix it. This sounds wrong to me cause I have a Dell laptop running the...
  9. Enable or Disable Touchpad Tapping and Tap to Click in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Touchpad Tapping and Tap to Click in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Touchpad Tapping and Tap to Click in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Touchpad Tapping and Tap to Click in Windows 10 If your Windows 10 PC (ex: laptop) has a built-in touchpad, you may want to enable or disable the tapping feature (aka: Tap...
  10. PLEASE !! disable "tap-click" on my trackpad.

in Windows 10 Customization
    PLEASE !! disable "tap-click" on my trackpad.: Vendor told me new Windows specifications now disable the ability to turn off "tap to click" on a Synaptics (or any other) trackpad. No doubt to make my very expensive notebook work even more like my cheap phone. however I travel a lot and "tap-click" makes it nearly...