Windows 10: Tranfer files and system set up from an old computer with the same operating system and...

Discus and support Tranfer files and system set up from an old computer with the same operating system and... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Good day, So we have a new HP all in One that is for the company. We also have an old system which is similar. Both systems have the Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PamHinter, Jun 12, 2019.

1. PamHinter Win User

Tranfer files and system set up from an old computer with the same operating system and...

Good day,

So we have a new HP all in One that is for the company. We also have an old system which is similar. Both systems have the Windows 10 Home on them. We are trying to eliminate hiring an outside person to come in and set up the system. Can we just simply transfer the set up and data files from the old system to the new system?? Help Please. Thanks.

:)

PamHinter, Jun 12, 2019

2. Error: "An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system"

Hi Stephen,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the operating system. Now that you have me with you let me take care of this.

Do let us know if you are able to see Windows 7/ Windows 10 operating system while rebooting the device?

As you are unable to boot the operating system, this issue might have occurred when the boot files are missing or corrupted.

I suggest you re-built the boot rec by following the below commands and check if it helps.
    You will have to use Windows 10/7 installation media to follow the steps to boot into Recovery Environment and try to rebuild BCD.

Step 1: I suggest you to create an installation media for
    operating system using the media creation tool

If system boots to Windows 10:
    Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

If system boots to Windows 7: Download Windows 7 Disc Images (ISO Files)

Step 2: After preparing the installation media, insert it hard reboot the device and follow the below:

• Boot into Windows Recovery Environment using the Windows 10/7 installation media.
    • Click on Repair your computer.
    • Click on Troubleshoot and in the Advanced options.
    • Select Command Prompt. Type the following commands into the prompt and press Enter key after each command.
    • bootrec /fixmbr

• bootrec /fixboot

• bootrec /scanos

• bootrec /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the computer.

NOTE: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting
    from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of booting the operating system for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 12, 2019
  3. ' choose an operation system to start"

Hi Bob,

To better assist you, do let us the complete message that you receive.

Sometimes, this could be due to two operating system installed in your computer. Just to make sure this is not the case, I suggest you to try the steps below:

1. Press Windows key + R.

2. Type msconfig and press enter.

3. Click the "boot" tab and check if there are any other operating system listed.

4. In addition, change the timeout time to 3 seconds(default)

Let us know the result, we will be glad to help if you need further assistance.

Wungraileng Vashi, Jun 12, 2019
  4. Tranfer files and system set up from an old computer with the same operating system and...

Erasing old system backup files in Windows 10.

Hi,

There are several ways to delete old system files. To delete old system files including system settings and files of previous versions, follow the steps below:

• Open Control Panel.
    • Select System and Security.
    • Click System.
    • Click System Protection in the left pane.
    • On the System Protection tab, click Configure.
    • Click Delete.
    • Click Apply, then OK.

Tranfer files and system set up from an old computer with the same operating system and... 521b768a-c32c-4bd4-a644-e5f21ab45cb6.png

Let us know if you need anything else. We're here to help.

Martin Bar, Jun 12, 2019
Thema:

Tranfer files and system set up from an old computer with the same operating system and...

1. Tranfer files and system set up from an old computer with the same operating system and... - Similar Threads - Tranfer files system

2. Remove old operating system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Remove old operating system: I need to free up some SSD space. The folders on the disk do not explain why the SSD is nearly full. When it boots there is a choice of Win 10 and 11, but only Win 10 works, 11 goes into an error. How can I get rid of one to free up space on the SSD?...
  3. Remove old operating system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove old operating system: I need to free up some SSD space. The folders on the disk do not explain why the SSD is nearly full. When it boots there is a choice of Win 10 and 11, but only Win 10 work, 11 goes into an error. How can I get rid of one to free up space on the SSD?...
  4. Remove old operating system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove old operating system: I need to free up some SSD space. The folders on the disk do not explain why the SSD is nearly full. When it boots there is a choice of Win 10 and 11, but only Win 10 work, 11 goes into an error. How can I get rid of one to free up space on the SSD?...
  5. Obtaining licenses for old operating systems.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Obtaining licenses for old operating systems.: I am going to be refurbishing/building computers from the Windows 7 era, but they are going to have to run Windows XP. Since I can't limit myself to only using chassis with Windows XP keys on them, is there another way to acquire copies? I found a company that produces...
  6. DNS settings on 2 Operating systems installed in the same computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS settings on 2 Operating systems installed in the same computer: I have a Lenovo laptop which has windows 10 and windows 8.1 installed on it. The windows 10 has been setup with local DNS settings for work reports but the other system the windows 8 is not connecting to ethernet using the cable. So wanted to know if changing the DNS settings...
  7. DNS settings on 2 Operating systems installed in the same computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DNS settings on 2 Operating systems installed in the same computer: I have a Lenovo laptop which has windows 10 and windows 8.1 installed on it. The windows 10 has been setup with local DNS settings for work reports but the other system the windows 8 is not connecting to ethernet using the cable. So wanted to know if changing the DNS settings...
  8. DNS settings on 2 Operating systems installed in the same computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Tranfer operateing system from old surface to new one

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Tranfer operateing system from old surface to new one: I had to buy a new surface I7 to replace one that hve died the new one came with windows 10 home which was a little disappointing as my prevous one came with windows pro Is there anyway to tranfer the old operateing system to my new surface...
  10. Setting up a network with different Operating systems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting up a network with different Operating systems: I need to set up a very small network with computers using older versions of Windows so I don't want to use homegroups. I believe I did set up a Workgroup network (which is the default name) which is fine and all the computers can see each other, but I haven't figured out how...