Windows 10: Tranfer operateing system from old surface to new one

Discus and support Tranfer operateing system from old surface to new one in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I had to buy a new surface I7 to replace one that hve died the new one came with windows 10 home which was a little disappointing as my prevous one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by WinstonSayers, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Tranfer operateing system from old surface to new one

I had to buy a new surface I7 to replace one that hve died the new one came with windows 10 home which was a little disappointing as my prevous one came with windows pro Is there anyway to tranfer the old operateing system to my new surface

:)

WinstonSayers, Feb 26, 2020

2. Problem updating Windows Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 feature updates

Hi,

I have manage to install image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4 by going to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erecoveryimage and download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

What I did to reset your Surface from a USB recovery drive was:
    Step 1: Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in (hold down the power
    button for 30 seconds).
    Step 2: Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port on your Surface.
    Step 3: Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the
    power button on your Surface.
    Step 4: When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.
    Step 5: When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
    Step 6: Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.
    If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the
    screen.
    Step 7: Select the target operating system you wish to reset. This
    refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.
    Step 8: Select Yes, repartition the drives, and on the next page, select Next.
    Step 9: Choose Just remove my files.
    Step 10: Select Reset.
    Surface restarts and the Surface logo displays while the reset process continues
    (this can take a while).

This always fails and I have to do the below which continues installation.
    Windows 10 Installation Media:

1. Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart.
    2. Boot from the media.
    3. Select Repair Your Computer.
    Select Troubleshoot.

1. Choose Command Prompt from the menu:
    Type in the command:
    Diskpart
    Type in the command:
    List disk (Note which disk is your Boot drive number mine is 0)
    Type in the command:
    Sel disk 0
    Type in the command:
    List vol (Note which volume is the EFI partition mine is 4)
    Type in the command:
    Sel vol 4
    Type in the command:
    assign letter=V:
    Type in the command:
    Exit
    Type in the command:
    V:
    After you have assigned a drive letter Using Diskpart You can format the EFI partition:
    Example: if you assigned a letter V to the partition the command would be:
    format V: /FS:FAT32
    Type in the command:
    bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI

Now I have an issue that I cannot install Feature Updates. They keep failing to install.
    Any ideas how to resolve issue?

jaburmester, Feb 26, 2020
  3. zbook Win User
    Programs not working

In post 26 there were steps listed to fix the operating system corruption.
    Are you able to follow them?
    In post 29 was the suggested dism repair command.

zbook, Feb 26, 2020
  4. Tranfer operateing system from old surface to new one

' choose an operation system to start"

Hi Bob,

To better assist you, do let us the complete message that you receive.

Sometimes, this could be due to two operating system installed in your computer. Just to make sure this is not the case, I suggest you to try the steps below:

1. Press Windows key + R.

2. Type msconfig and press enter.

3. Click the "boot" tab and check if there are any other operating system listed.

4. In addition, change the timeout time to 3 seconds(default)

Let us know the result, we will be glad to help if you need further assistance.

Wungraileng Vashi, Feb 26, 2020
Thema:

Tranfer operateing system from old surface to new one

1. Tranfer operateing system from old surface to new one - Similar Threads - Tranfer operateing system

2. Remove old operating system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Remove old operating system: I need to free up some SSD space. The folders on the disk do not explain why the SSD is nearly full. When it boots there is a choice of Win 10 and 11, but only Win 10 works, 11 goes into an error. How can I get rid of one to free up space on the SSD?...
  3. Remove old operating system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove old operating system: I need to free up some SSD space. The folders on the disk do not explain why the SSD is nearly full. When it boots there is a choice of Win 10 and 11, but only Win 10 work, 11 goes into an error. How can I get rid of one to free up space on the SSD?...
  4. Remove old operating system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove old operating system: I need to free up some SSD space. The folders on the disk do not explain why the SSD is nearly full. When it boots there is a choice of Win 10 and 11, but only Win 10 work, 11 goes into an error. How can I get rid of one to free up space on the SSD?...
  5. Surface 3 Laptop Operating System Reinstall to New HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface 3 Laptop Operating System Reinstall to New HDD: How do I install Windows OS on a new hard drive for a MS Surface 3 Laptop? I purchased the laptop from Best Buy who refuses to service it. They directed me back to MS. I have tried numerous methods from preinstalling windows onto the NVME drive prior to installing it using...
  6. Surface 3 Laptop Operating System Reinstall to New HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface 3 Laptop Operating System Reinstall to New HDD: How do I install Windows OS on a new hard drive for a MS Surface 3 Laptop? I purchased the laptop from Best Buy who refuses to service it. They directed me back to MS. I have tried numerous methods from preinstalling windows onto the NVME drive prior to installing it using...
  7. Surface 3 Laptop Operating System Reinstall to New HDD

Surface 3 Laptop Operating System Reinstall to New HDD: How do I install Windows OS on a new hard drive for a MS Surface 3 Laptop? I purchased it from Best Buy who refuses to service it. They directed me back to MS. I have tried numerous methods from preinstalling windows onto the NVME drive prior to installing it. I also tried...
  8. Moving operating system to a new SSD on old Machine, but keep old HDD

Moving operating system to a new SSD on old Machine, but keep old HDD: Hi all My PC is a 2009 machine, 64 bit with a Phenom II 925 quad processor with a 1TB HD... so very old by PC standards. Instead of buying a new machine I was thinking I would buy a SSD and move the operating system to it as it seems to take an age to boot and use the...
  9. Tranfer files and system set up from an old computer with the same operating system and...

Tranfer files and system set up from an old computer with the same operating system and...: Good day, So we have a new HP all in One that is for the company. We also have an old system which is similar. Both systems have the Windows 10 Home on them. We are trying to eliminate hiring an outside person to come in and set up the system. Can we just simply...
  10. New Operating System!

New Operating System!: Is there a new upcoming operating system after Windows-10 in the near future? (like windows 11 or 12 or something like this?) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-operating-system/fe2c4972-973d-42a4-8b35-c1a08c775127