Windows 10: Transfer a retail W10 Pro product key to a new PC.

Discus and support Transfer a retail W10 Pro product key to a new PC. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Purchased retail W10 Pro in April. Installed in a VM in Hyper-V for screenshots. Disabled the VM. Now want to upgrade a new W10 Home PC. product key... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by AZtechwriter, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Transfer a retail W10 Pro product key to a new PC.

Purchased retail W10 Pro in April. Installed in a VM in Hyper-V for screenshots. Disabled the VM. Now want to upgrade a new W10 Home PC. product key "didn't work."

:)

AZtechwriter, Aug 1, 2021
  2. Bree Win User

Transfer W10 Pro To New PC?

Don't be so sure. Mine says 'Retail' too. But it always says that if the installed key is the generic Pro key ending in 3V66T. What did it say your key was?

My machine originally had an OEM install of Windows 7, which was then upgraded to Windows 10 and got its digital licence. It was the upgrade that dropped the OEM W7 Pro key and replaced it with the generic W10 Pro key. Strictly speaking, as this digital licence was derived from an OEM key, then it it still not transferable.

Transfer a retail W10 Pro product key to a new PC. [​IMG]

Anyway, in order to transfer a Retail licence, you need to have a full Retail key to install on the new machine - which you won't have if it's the generic one that's currently installed of you old machine..

Bree, Aug 1, 2021
  3. jimlau Win User
    Transfer W10 Pro To New PC?

My key ends with: 9766T

jimlau, Aug 1, 2021
  4. ZenTsang Win User

Transfer a retail W10 Pro product key to a new PC.

Transfer Win10 HOME Key (retail) to another PC after upgrading to PRO (retail)

As the subject line states...

I have 2 PCs. One with a HOME (retail) key and one with no key but is an older PC ... let say it currently has no OS. I want to upgrade this newer PC from HOME (retail) to PRO (retail). I have already retrieved the HOME key and saved into a text file. From
    my understanding, I go into System -> Change key and can put in the new PRO (retail) key to upgrade from HOME to PRO.

Once I do that... can I now use the HOME (retail) key on the older PC? Again... I keep stressing (retail) in this email because I fully understand that OEM keys / upgrades are retained for the PC they came installed on and are not transferable. However,
    both my HOME and PRO version are retail keys.

If the answer is YES ... please don't just say YES. Please provide the steps necessary to transfer the HOME key so I don't lose it accidentally.

Thanks.

ZenTsang, Aug 1, 2021
Thema:

Transfer a retail W10 Pro product key to a new PC.

1. Transfer a retail W10 Pro product key to a new PC. - Similar Threads - Transfer retail W10

2. Transferring a retail Windows 11 Pro licence to a new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring a retail Windows 11 Pro licence to a new PC: I have an old PC running Windows 11 Pro, "activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account". This is a retail licence purchased from the Microsoft Store. This old PC is now suffering from various hardware problems, so I have bought a new one. This has...
  3. Win 10 Pro retail license transfer product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Pro retail license transfer product key: I had a retail license of Windows 10 Pro upgraded from a retail license of Windows 7 Professional years ago on an HP PC that recently died. When the replacement an LG PC arrived, I transferred the Win 10 Pro image from the HP to the LG, using Macrium Reflect. However, the...
  4. Win 10 Pro retail license transfer product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 Pro retail license transfer product key: I had a retail license of Windows 10 Pro upgraded from a retail license of Windows 7 Professional years ago on an HP PC that recently died. When the replacement an LG PC arrived, I transferred the Win 10 Pro image from the HP to the LG, using Macrium Reflect. However, the...
  5. Win 10 Pro retail license transfer product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Transfer W10 Pro To New PC?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer W10 Pro To New PC?: I'm getting a new computer. Can I de-activate my Windows 10 Pro license on my current PC, then activate on my new PC, or do I have to buy a second copy? Thanks. 182551
  7. W7 to W10 retail version product keys.

W7 to W10 retail version product keys.: Hi forum members. I'm hoping that someone here can shed some light on a problem I have identifying which W10 Pro upgrades I can reuse. I used to have a number of Windows7 PC's with retail Pro licenses which have now been dismantled. I had taken advantage of the free Windows10...
  8. Transfer os retail key for w10

Transfer os retail key for w10: Good morning. I have a desktop with a Windows 10 Retail Key. With a retail key I understand it can be transferred to a new PC having first unregistered it from the current PC. Am I correct in the above as I am likely to order a new PC without an o/s. Thank you 150624
  9. Transfer os retail key for w10

in Windows 10 Support
    Transfer os retail key for w10: Good morning. I have a desktop with a Windows 10 Retail Key. With a retail key I understand it can be transferred to a new PC having first unregistered it from the current PC. Am I correct in the above as I am likely to order a new PC without an o/s. Thank you 150624
  10. Is Product Key Transferable to New PC?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is Product Key Transferable to New PC?: I have decided to build a new PC instead of trying to fix the unsupported UEFI Disk problem I've had for the last year with my current PC. I have downloaded the Windows 10 Media and installed it to a USB drive. When the install routine asks for my product key, I would like to...