Windows 10: transfer a Win10 Pro activation key to a new computer

Discus and support transfer a Win10 Pro activation key to a new computer in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I am replacing my old HP computer. Win10 Pro is an upgraded OS on this machine. I have a valid key for this OS that I would like to use with my new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by WHSmith_478, Jun 18, 2021.

1. transfer a Win10 Pro activation key to a new computer

I am replacing my old HP computer. Win10 Pro is an upgraded OS on this machine. I have a valid key for this OS that I would like to use with my new computer. I recently built a new machine for my wife. In the process of that I purchased a Win10 Pro disc with a separate key. What do I need to do to use this new Win10 Pro disc and validate is with the Win10 Pro key from my old machine? When my new machine is up and running I will physically destroy the old hard drive.

:)

WHSmith_478, Jun 18, 2021

2. Upgrading OEM Win10 Home to MSDN Win10 Pro

Moving to a new PC that I'm building myself. Currently running Dell OEM Win10 Home. New PC will have Win10 Pro, MSDN (multi-activation or retail keys) version.

My backup software can do a "system transfer" that will allow me to transfer everything (OS and applications) to the new computer.

Should I upgrade from OEM Home to MSDN Pro on the old computer and then transfer everything to the new computer?

Or just install Win10 PRO MSDN on the new computer and use the backup software vendor's application transfer program to move the applications and registry entries?

My goals are:

1. Not have any "dinosaur bones" either from the OS on my SSD from the old OEM Home version on the new PRO version

1. Not have to reinstall and reconfigure everything (which would take about a week)

Thanks for any advice I can get...

bobmac1547, Jun 18, 2021
  3. Can I upgrade OEM Win10 Home to Retail Win10 Pro?

Moving to a new PC that I'm building myself. Currently running Dell OEM Win10 Home. New PC will have Win10 Pro, MSDN (multi-activation or retail keys) version.

My backup software can do a "system transfer" that will allow me to transfer everything (OS and applications) to the new computer.

Should I upgrade from OEM Home to MSDN Pro on the old computer and then transfer everything to the new computer?

Or just install Win10 PRO MSDN on the new computer and use the backup software vendor's application transfer program to move the applications and registry entries.

My goals are:

1. Not have any "dinosaur bones" either from the OS on my SSD from the old OEM Home version on the new PRO version
    2. Not have to reinstall and reconfigure everything (which would take about a week)
    Thanks for any advice I can get...

BobMac1547x, Jun 18, 2021
  4. LeoBloom Win User

transfer a Win10 Pro activation key to a new computer

Built new computer, running unactivated Win10 Home, have Win7 Pro key

I was initially thinking of buying a Win10 Home key, but I realized I still have a Win7 Pro key I purchased that I have never upgraded to Win10 and is not currently in use.

Two questions

• Can I use the Win7 key to activate Win10 (or is that no longer an option)
    • Will Win10 Home turn into Win10 Pro (assuming I can still use key)

LeoBloom, Jun 18, 2021
Thema:

transfer a Win10 Pro activation key to a new computer

1. transfer a Win10 Pro activation key to a new computer - Similar Threads - transfer Win10 Pro

2. Transfer Windows 11 Pro key to a new computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer Windows 11 Pro key to a new computer: Hi,I bought a PC with Windows 11 Home preinstalled OEM key I guess. I then upgraded to Windows 11 Pro from the Microsoft Store.That PC is getting old so I have bought a new PC with Windows 11 Home preinstalled. Is it possible to transfer the Windows 11 Pro key that I bought...
  3. Transfer Windows 11 Pro key to a new computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer Windows 11 Pro key to a new computer: Hi,I bought a PC with Windows 11 Home preinstalled OEM key I guess. I then upgraded to Windows 11 Pro from the Microsoft Store.That PC is getting old so I have bought a new PC with Windows 11 Home preinstalled. Is it possible to transfer the Windows 11 Pro key that I bought...
  4. Transferring Windows 10 Pro activation key to new laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring Windows 10 Pro activation key to new laptop: How can I transfer Windows 10 Pro activation key used in my old laptop that stopped working to my new laptop? I have both of these devices linked to my Microsoft account....
  5. Transferring Windows 10 Pro activation key to new laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring Windows 10 Pro activation key to new laptop: How can I transfer Windows 10 Pro activation key used in my old laptop that stopped working to my new laptop? I have both of these devices linked to my Microsoft account....
  6. Transferring Windows 10 Pro activation key to new laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  7. Transfer Win10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer Win10 Pro: I have bought the 199USD Win10 Pro license. I was told if i get this more expensive license i could transfer the OS and isntall to another PC. This is what i want to do now. How can i remove the license from my current PC and set it to Win10 HOME again and transfer to...
  8. Win10 pro activation after building new computer

Win10 pro activation after building new computer: Hi all I have purchase win 10 licence very long time ago and lost the email with activation key. Every time I have reinstalled win it activated itself. Few month back I have build new PC motherboard, video, the lot and installed win and to my surprise it did not activated. I...
  9. transfer win10 to new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    transfer win10 to new computer: transfer win10 to new computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-win10-to-new-computer/5d98604f-940f-473b-8ca4-97ad5e185528
  10. Activated Win10 on defective laptop, how to transfer key to new laptop

Activated Win10 on defective laptop, how to transfer key to new laptop: Hello, I bought a laptop for a client, wiped and formatted the hard drive that had Windows 8.1 Home. Installed Windows 10 Pro. And activated it with a purchased key. When I started working on it, there were a lot of issues, and a defective touch pad. So I am about to...