Windows 10: Transfer Activation Key after new Motherboard

Discus and support Transfer Activation Key after new Motherboard in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I built a PC a month ago and activated Windows 10 pro on it. Last week I had to replace the motherboard and now my key doesn't work. I called Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Well Hello There, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Transfer Activation Key after new Motherboard

I built a PC a month ago and activated Windows 10 pro on it. Last week I had to replace the motherboard and now my key doesn't work. I called Microsoft support to transfer the key and they said the key was exhausted. I only used it once, but maybe it was used somehow before I bought it. Anyways, do I have any solutions besides buying another key? I only had this key for a month so I would rather not have to buy a new one.

Thanks

:)

Well Hello There, Dec 4, 2020

2. Activate Windows 10 after motherboard change

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I built the PC myself and it is\was a retail Windows 8 Pro license upgraded to 10.

The guide listed that I should be able to transfer the license, and following the steps given when selecting "I recently changed hardware" in the activation process it does not list my previous device to select from.

My Microsoft account is logged in on both my old and new motherboard, and my old motherboard is unable to boot at all to deactivate or retrieve any keys.

If my license is indeed available for transfer, how can I proceed from here?

Thanks.

Libertherme, Dec 4, 2020
  3. Windows 10 activation with new motherboard

I've tried contacting Microsoft support by both chat (twice) and phone, and none of it was helpful. And so I'm posting the problem here.

I have a laptop that was originally running Windows 7. I upgraded to Windows 10 last month via the free upgrade option, and things were working fine for a while. However, a motherboard issue forced me to replace the motherboard yesterday. This also required me to move the old hard drive and CPU to the new motherboard.

Now, my problem is this: while I do still have Windows 10 installed on my device, it is an evaluation copy; it is not activated as the full product. Some research told me that the free W10 upgrade is linked to the device's hardware, something I didn't know. Since I'm using a different motherboard now, Microsoft apparently doesn't recognize that I DO own a full version of W10 courtesy of the free upgrade.

So now I'm wondering whether there is a way to transfer my W10 license to the new motherboard so it will activate. And before you ask/suggest anything:
    • My original sticker on the bottom of my computer with the W7 license key on it fell off a long time ago. So no, I don't have that.
    • I tried contacting Dell to get my original product key, and they refused to help me because I'm out of warranty, even though what I'm asking them for is very simple.

Any help is appreciated.

HotWingsFTW, Dec 4, 2020
  4. Transfer Activation Key after new Motherboard

Transferring Windows 10 to New PC Activation

It depends on how Windows 10 was originally configured on your computer.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license:

If its a retail license, learn how to reactivate:

Andre Da Costa, Dec 4, 2020
Thema:

Transfer Activation Key after new Motherboard

1. Transfer Activation Key after new Motherboard - Similar Threads - Transfer Activation Key

2. Can't activate windows after new motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't activate windows after new motherboard: After i installed new motherboard, i can no longer activate windows.I always get error code: 0x803FABBAAlso tried linking my email, but i also get error from that.I tried to buy a cheap key on the internet, still doesn't work.I'm sure no key works on this machine any longer....
  3. Can't activate windows after new motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't activate windows after new motherboard: After i installed new motherboard, i can no longer activate windows.I always get error code: 0x803FABBAAlso tried linking my email, but i also get error from that.I tried to buy a cheap key on the internet, still doesn't work.I'm sure no key works on this machine any longer....
  4. Windows transfer to new motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows transfer to new motherboard: I recently upgraded my motherboard as it was a good deal during black friday/cyber monday sales. I'm trying to use my product key that I've been using for my past 3 computers now, but currently it doesn't work and said my product key is not valid. My product key is a OEM key...
  5. Windows transfer to new motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows transfer to new motherboard: I recently upgraded my motherboard as it was a good deal during black friday/cyber monday sales. I'm trying to use my product key that I've been using for my past 3 computers now, but currently it doesn't work and said my product key is not valid. My product key is a OEM key...
  6. Windows transfer to new motherboard

7. Error activating windows key on new motherboard

Error activating windows key on new motherboard: I recently bought a new motherboard but forgot to deactivate my Windows 10 Home key on my other motherboard. I returned that motherboard to Microcenter My new motherboard was installed up at Microcenter store and the PC technician told me I would have to contact Microsoft...
  8. Activation of windows key after motherboard replacement.

Activation of windows key after motherboard replacement.: Dear Sir, Sir currently I am facing problem with my laptop.I contacted the retailer he advised me to go for new motherboard in this laptop.Since my laptop has genuine window.So I am in fear of loosing genuine window.Is there any way of preserving my genuine window.So that...
  9. Windows key won't activate after new motherboard

Windows key won't activate after new motherboard: We changed the CPU, GPU, motherboard and Ram. I had purchased my key as a windows 8 upgrade. I have medical reasons and can't call the recording. It can't hear me. So I didn't get a product key. What do I do now?...
  10. Windows Activation after new motherboard

Windows Activation after new motherboard: Recently upgraded my gaming rig with a new motherboard and CPU. All was good for about 5 hours of gaming and browsing, when all of a sudden, I got the "Activate Windows" message pinned in the bottom right of my screen. I tried to activate via "I've upgraded my pc components"...