Windows 10: Transfer from WinXP to Win10.

Discus and support Transfer from WinXP to Win10. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; What system or program is recommended for videos transfer from XP to 10. I used to use Tornado transfer and then Roxio to open but now it doesn't work... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rdrozd7, Jul 20, 2020.

1. rdrozd7 Win User

Transfer from WinXP to Win10.

What system or program is recommended for videos transfer from XP to 10. I used to use Tornado transfer and then Roxio to open but now it doesn't work anymore. Got transfer all right but Win10 won't accept the file.

:)

rdrozd7, Jul 20, 2020

2. WinXP printer share to Win10. One box yes. One box no.

I have acquired two Win10 laptops. Both are Win10 Pro. I wanted to use an older printer, network shared by a WinXP box.

First Win10 laptop: I browsed to the WinXP using the Network broswer, and clicked on the shared printer. Everything set up fine and I was able to print a test page from the Win10 laptop.

Second Win10 laptop: I browsed to the WinXP box using the Network browser, and clicked on the shared printer. Windows wanted to download drivers and could find nothing and refused to set up the printer.

Why are they different? What things can I check/confirm/change to make #2 behave like #1? I want the second Win10 laptop to be able to use the WinXP printer and I know Win10 is capable because the first laptop works fine.

Things I checked:

Using the test printout from Win10 #1, I copied the driver files listed over to the Win10 #2 computer. No change.

I confirmed SMBv1 was installed and operating on both Win10 laptops.

1. Open Control Panel.
    2. Click on Programs.
    3. Click on Turn Windows features on or off link.
    4. Expand the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support option.
    5. Check the SMB 1.0/CIFS Client option.
    6. Click the OK button.
    7. Click the Restart now button.
    Any ideas appreciated!

BrianBrian3, Jul 20, 2020
  3. WinXP printer share to Win10. One box yes. One box no.

Greg,

I'm confused by your suggestion because I previously explained that there are no driver installation programs to run in compatibility mode, because all of them have appeared in Win10 pick lists due to somehow Win10 is getting them. THAT is the heart of
    my question: Why/How is Win10 coming up with different lists of drivers? Is there any way to transfer drivers from the working Win10 laptop to the two other laptops so they can use the same drivers?

Because there is no installation program to run, suggesting to run it in compatibility mode appears confused. Did I miss something?

BrianBrian3, Jul 20, 2020
  4. b1tstg67 Win User

Can Win10 and WinXP run on same hard drive

Hello David . . .

Many thanks for such a quick reply.

You are a scholar for being knowledgeable in areas of computer manipulation less traveled by most and a gentleman for readily offering to share what you know . . . this sort of activity in the intricate world of computers is what makes it all so exciting
    — even if one is not involved designing space ships or the like.

Now, back to worldly things. . . . Your reply certainly provided assurance that I need not get involved in trying to have both Win versions on my hard disk (although I have ample space). Also, my review with Microsoft (before Win10 purchase) of minimum system
    requirements established that everything is OK.....perhaps not enough for full advantage of Win10 capabilities. Now, to make sure I read you clearly, namely :

• I am running with WinXP and just purchased WIn10 from Microsoft on a USB flash drive (installation not yet attempted) and the very short instruction slip says to insert, power-up and boot to the flash drive. From what I know, being just one step more than
      an amateur, this means pressing F12 immediately after powering up, once you see the message re F2 & F12 flash at the top of the screen. I am concluding from this that the program knows what to do. . . essentially 'upgrade' from WinXP to Win10 with my responding
      to instructions along the way.
    • LOTUS SmartSuite in the last up-date version (v 9.8) is already on my computer under Programs, so can I expect that it will not be eliminated in the Win10 installation protocol? I have this program on a flash drive, so in case of a loss it can still be
      re-installed.
    • If Win10 is similar enough to WinXP, locating the .exe file in file lists (under My Computer/DriveC..etc) to trigger an installation rather than using the "RUN" window in "START" usually works. Does this sound as amounting to the same thing to ensure
      proper results ?
    • Will all other elements and devices of my system (e.g. printers) be left unscathed, i.e. will all device drivers be left untouched and, at the most, will benefit from manufacturers' up-dates afterwards, if any. At present I cannot get these as the manufacturers
      no longer support devices running in WinXP).
    • Just one more idea for which I would much appreciate your opinion; what do you think of my copying to a flash drive all data that is currently on my hard drive (drive C, 34GBused)? In case of a disaster later I could copy the data back. There are 112GBfree
      right now... ample for the Win10 install (79GB, I believe).

David, If I can impose on your good will again, your views on the preceding would be most greatly appreciated.

Best regards . . .

Jim Canzi

Montreal, Canada

b1tstg67, Jul 20, 2020
Thema:

1. Transfer from WinXP to Win10. - Similar Threads - Transfer WinXP Win10

2. EMU APS to work with WinXP or Win7 or Win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EMU APS to work with WinXP or Win7 or Win10: Are there any drivers and instructions on how to make EMU APS sound card, work with Windows XP ?If support for WinXP ended i can work with Win7 or Win10.Thanks...
  3. EMU APS to work with WinXP or Win7 or Win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EMU APS to work with WinXP or Win7 or Win10: Are there any drivers and instructions on how to make EMU APS sound card, work with Windows XP ?If support for WinXP ended i can work with Win7 or Win10.Thanks...
  4. Install Win10 on an old WinXP / Linux Box

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Install Win10 on an old WinXP / Linux Box: I have an old PC that was licensed for WinXP. About a year ago I threw Linux on it, but my needs have changed. Can someone please tell me, if I installed Win10 on it, can I use the XP license code? If not, can I install XP with the code, then perform the free update to...
  5. Can Win10 and WinXP run on same hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can Win10 and WinXP run on same hard drive: Can I — and how do I— install Win10 without losing WinXP now running flawlessly on my desktop ? I have held back on the upgrade to Won10 because I have LOTUS SmartSuite that runing perfectly in WinXP and, until I know that it works also with Win10, I do not want to risk...
  6. Uninstall won't work on an old app from WinXP installed on Win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Uninstall won't work on an old app from WinXP installed on Win10: I installed an app called Smartboard 2000 (a clipboard utility) in Windows 10. It had worked in WinXP, but gave me problems in Win 10, so I want to uninstall it. When I go to Programs & Features, select the app & choose uninstall, I get this message: [img] When I go to...
  7. Transfer win10 from crashed laptop

Transfer win10 from crashed laptop: My laptop with win10 has crashed. Black screen, will not boot up. Can not get anything to work. Power button and little light on caps lock button flash but nothing else. Can I transfer the win10 to another laptop with win8.1?...
  8. Transfer Contacts from Win7 to Win10

in Browsers and Email
    Transfer Contacts from Win7 to Win10: My compuiter was running "Windows Live Mail" under Win7 quite(?) happily. Then Microsoft persuaded me to upgrade to Win10, which aslo ran quite(?) happily until last December.Then things went pear-shaped. The upshot was, I went out & bought a new computer, running Win10. I...
  9. Move system partition from unwanted OS (WinXP) to current OS (Win10)

in Windows 10 Support
    Move system partition from unwanted OS (WinXP) to current OS (Win10): Hi TenForums! I am loving Windows 10 and I want to remove Windows XP from my dual-boot configuration (and remove the whole dual-boot thing completely) but it also acts as the system partition, so I guess it's not as straight-forward as I had hoped. Is there a way to make my...
  10. Create dual boot Win10 with existing WinXP installation

Create dual boot Win10 with existing WinXP installation: Hi, I have seen posts that are partially related to my question, but do not answer all of my questions. Here the situation: GOAL: Create a dualboot system with a clean WIndows 10 installation on SSD while keeping my regular Windows XP for as long as I need it....