Windows 10: Transfer license from the dead

Discus and support Transfer license from the dead in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My laptop died, as in the cylinders were ratting around. Idiot me tossed it before it dawned on me that I might not get full windows 10 on my new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by duckboxxer, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Transfer license from the dead

My laptop died, as in the cylinders were ratting around. Idiot me tossed it before it dawned on me that I might not get full windows 10 on my new laptop. Which turned out to be a Surface - it comes with Windows 10 S (which seems to be a 'we want to protect you from yourself' version).

Is it possible to somehow get the Win10 version from my dead laptop? No idea what any sort of serial number or anything is; the device is still registered with my MSFT account. As far as where the license 'came from', I upgraded what came with the laptop by taking advantage of the free upgrade when it was available as far as how I got to Win10.

:)

duckboxxer, Oct 8, 2018

2. Windows 10 license transfer

Thanks Andre.

i bought the license. My laptop was originally loaded with win 7 and was upgraded free couple of months.

in this case, if i understand you correctly, i can transfer with below steps. Right.?

let me buy my new laptop and try below.

and to my question do you have an update.

does OS upgrades if my activation key is changed.

thanks

sai

SainandhanKandasamy, Oct 8, 2018
  3. Andre Da Costa, Oct 8, 2018
  4. Transfer license from the dead

Windows 10 license transfer

There is no actual deactivation method.

You can only transfer the license if its a retail license. If it came with the laptop you can't transfer it.

You can first uninstall the key.

Open Start, type: cmd

Right click CMD

Click Run as administrator

At the command prompt, type:

slmgr -upk

Hit Enter

Next, proceed to upgrade the new laptop:

You might need to reactivate by chat support since the license was previously in use.

Learn more:

Andre Da Costa, Oct 8, 2018
Thema:

Transfer license from the dead

1. Transfer license from the dead - Similar Threads - Transfer license dead

2. Transfer Windows Professional License From Dead Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer Windows Professional License From Dead Laptop: Hi,I had purchased a Windows 10 Professional Upgrade License for my laptop. However, the laptop's motherboard burnt out and the laptop is useless. Can someone please guide me on how I can go about getting the Win Pro Upgrade License transferred to my desktop which is running...
  3. Transfer Windows Professional License From Dead Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer Windows Professional License From Dead Laptop: Hi,I had purchased a Windows 10 Professional Upgrade License for my laptop. However, the laptop's motherboard burnt out and the laptop is useless. Can someone please guide me on how I can go about getting the Win Pro Upgrade License transferred to my desktop which is running...
  4. Transfer Windows 10 Pro license from a dead laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Windows 10 Pro license from a dead laptop: Hello! A laptop I had, using a retail license of Windows 10 Pro, died a while ago and cannot be repaired - the laptop remained at the seller and he sent a replacement unit which is yet to arrive. Is there any way I can migrate the Pro license to a new machine? Thank you for...
  5. Can you transfer License from a dead computer to another machine

Can you transfer License from a dead computer to another machine: I had just installed W10 to an older Silverstone home built desktop just to make use of it somehow. I used a key my son had purchased as a 2 key set and hadn't used. This didn't workout as the machine is too old and a lot of the hardware is not supported. It is working but...
  6. How to Transfer Windows 10 License from a dead pc to a New one

How to Transfer Windows 10 License from a dead pc to a New one: How Can I Transfer my Windows 10 License from my dead pc to a New Computer. The old computer's motherboard cant repair. Can I transfer the license to another PC. I purchased Windows 10 DVD earlier. I have a serial number on it. can I re-use it ?...
  7. transfer the license from a dead computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    transfer the license from a dead computer: I have a windows 7 computer that had my license Mircosoft Office on it . How can I transfer it to my new computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-the-license-from-a-dead-computer/4e07af5e-7cca-448f-b71b-b746d052624d
  8. Transfer windows license from dead pc to new one

Transfer windows license from dead pc to new one: My pc died and I'm building a new one now. I was wondering if I could somehow get a free installation for my new pc since I already had a license once. Thing is I can't access my old pc to uninstall if I have to. I had the license since windows 8 and upgraded to windwos 10 if...
  9. Transferring license from a dead computer to a working computer

Transferring license from a dead computer to a working computer: Hi everyone I would like to ask if i can transfer my old windows 10 license to a working computer. My old computer seems to be dead and all of my data in the hard drive isnt possible for recovery. So if ever possible, i want to transfer my windows license to a working...
  10. transferring Windows from dead computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    transferring Windows from dead computer: I bought a retail version of Windows for my computer 4 years ago. I did a free update to Windows Pro & it refers to my having Windows 10 Pro on the Microsoft website. Now my old computer has died & I can't access anything. When I build my new computer, I am wondering if I...