Windows 10: Transfer my Windows Pro from Dead computer to the replacement

Discus and support Transfer my Windows Pro from Dead computer to the replacement in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I purchased a surface pro from the MOA Microsoft store. on 3/10/20 last last week it died and wont boot up. with the store closed i had to call this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DanMendez, Apr 24, 2020.

1. DanMendez Win User

Transfer my Windows Pro from Dead computer to the replacement

I purchased a surface pro from the MOA Microsoft store. on 3/10/20 last last week it died and wont boot up.

with the store closed i had to call this issue in. they sent out a replacement but came with the Home version.

i need to transfer my Pro to the new computer. or will they refund my money the computer was under warrenty

but i got a lot of run around on the phone

any thoughts or ideas. i do not have the liscense info from the old computer.

thank you l

:)

DanMendez, Apr 24, 2020
  2. rss81 Win User

transfer files between computers on a home network

I don't know why this is so hard to do but I would like to transfer files between a desktop PC running windows 10 pro and a laptop running windows 10 home. I would like to transfer files in both directions. Both computers are on the same home network and are connected wirelessly.

Could some one provide either specific step by step instructions on how to do this (I googled and found a countless list of instructions that don't work)

or a link to a reference.

Thanks,

I don't know if this is possible but it would be nice to see the computer sending the desired file in the explorer file manager of the computer receiving the desired file and then under the computer see a list
    of shared files and folders.

Again, this seems like such a reasonable way of sharing files and folders. Shouldn't there be a simple way to do this?

rss81, Apr 24, 2020
  3. Transfering win10 from a dead computer

Greetings,
    Need assistance please, my MSI Laptop caught the dreaded Logo loop disease and is useless. I've purchased a new Laptop but since this is my work computer, all my files, programs and passwords need to be on the new laptop. Since my 'old' laptop is dead how do get my information transferred? I've pulled both of the drives (SSD and SSHD), tested them (both are accessible). However, the operating system is win10pro, the new one is win10 home. I'm more concern with the SSD drive transfer since that was my system drive (the other was just ancillary program and data storage. Any suggestions besides using a Jack Korvorian starter kit?

sdsmithinc, Apr 24, 2020
  4. DavidY Win User

Is the free upgarde transferable? I think not.

Hi Kari,
    Can you confirm that the computer at step 5 (I numbered your list *Wink ) had never had an activated Insider build (especially not 10240)?

I'm wondering if it was possible that the second machine activated because the activation servers recognised the hardware from an earlier activation, and not because of the method you used to transfer?

DavidY, Apr 24, 2020
Thema:

1. Transfer my Windows Pro from Dead computer to the replacement - Similar Threads - Transfer Pro Dead

2. Transfer Windows 11 Pro Upgrade to Replacement Computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer Windows 11 Pro Upgrade to Replacement Computer: I recently purchased the Windows 11 Pro upgrade in the Microsoft Store and updated my computer from Home to Pro. A short while later, the computer died and I had to return it to the manufacturer. How can I transfer my Pro upgrade to my new replacement computer?...
  3. Transfer Windows 11 Pro Upgrade to Replacement Computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer Windows 11 Pro Upgrade to Replacement Computer: I recently purchased the Windows 11 Pro upgrade in the Microsoft Store and updated my computer from Home to Pro. A short while later, the computer died and I had to return it to the manufacturer. How can I transfer my Pro upgrade to my new replacement computer?...
  4. Transferring an Office 2019 Pro from a defective computer to a replacement one.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring an Office 2019 Pro from a defective computer to a replacement one.: HiI have Office 2019 Pro running on a defective laptop which is being replaced by another one, so I'm in the process of porting all my apps from the old defective laptop to the replacement one. Unfortunately, I misplaced the Product Key, so I used one of the tools advertised...
  5. Transferring an Office 2019 Pro from a defective computer to a replacement one.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring an Office 2019 Pro from a defective computer to a replacement one.: HiI have Office 2019 Pro running on a defective laptop which is being replaced by another one, so I'm in the process of porting all my apps from the old defective laptop to the replacement one. Unfortunately, I misplaced the Product Key, so I used one of the tools advertised...
  6. Transfer Windows 10 Pro license from a dead laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Windows 10 Pro license from a dead laptop: Hello! A laptop I had, using a retail license of Windows 10 Pro, died a while ago and cannot be repaired - the laptop remained at the seller and he sent a replacement unit which is yet to arrive. Is there any way I can migrate the Pro license to a new machine? Thank you for...
  7. transfer the license from a dead computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    transfer the license from a dead computer: I have a windows 7 computer that had my license Mircosoft Office on it . How can I transfer it to my new computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-the-license-from-a-dead-computer/4e07af5e-7cca-448f-b71b-b746d052624d
  8. Transferring license from a dead computer to a working computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring license from a dead computer to a working computer: Hi everyone I would like to ask if i can transfer my old windows 10 license to a working computer. My old computer seems to be dead and all of my data in the hard drive isnt possible for recovery. So if ever possible, i want to transfer my windows license to a working...
  9. transferring Windows from dead computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    transferring Windows from dead computer: I bought a retail version of Windows for my computer 4 years ago. I did a free update to Windows Pro & it refers to my having Windows 10 Pro on the Microsoft website. Now my old computer has died & I can't access anything. When I build my new computer, I am wondering if I...
  10. Windows 10 transfer from dead computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 transfer from dead computer: I have a laptop which had Windows 10 installed (probably from an upgrade from 8 or 7) and a PC running Windows 7. The laptop's HDD has partially crashed. Is there any way I can transfer the Win 10 licence from the laptop to the PC? Can I boot the laptop into DOS or something...