Windows 10: Transfer of large amounts of data just stops, but disks continue to appear as data is being...

Discus and support Transfer of large amounts of data just stops, but disks continue to appear as data is being... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all, I am doing a disk upgrade and in the process of replacing existing disks, large amounts of data need to be moved between the disks. Since the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Magnus.s, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Magnus.s Win User

Transfer of large amounts of data just stops, but disks continue to appear as data is being...

Hi all,

I am doing a disk upgrade and in the process of replacing existing disks, large amounts of data need to be moved between the disks. Since the transfer process is time consuming I have done these late at night leaving the computer on. When checking the next morning the following has occurred:

1. The progress window with the graph and info about the file transfer is gone as if the transfer is complete

2. The lights on both drives are still flashing as if they where both active and the data transfer was in progress

3. When looking in the file explorer I can see that the transfer has stopped in the middle of the transfer and far from all data has been transferred.

4. Looking in the activity manager I can see that no data is being transferred even though the lights on the drives suggest data is being transferred.

Anyone run in to this problem?

The work around is to try and find out where the transfer stopped and manually select the files and folders that didn't get transferred and start again. This is a bit annoying as it is time consuming to verify that all files in fact have been transferred and / or trying to identify which files of the 800 or so GB that didn’t get transferred.

The behavior occurs regardless if the drives I am transferring between are internal/external or external/external. I am using both HDDs and SSDs. Target drive is newly formatted new Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD drive.

Fresh install of Windows 10 with the latest updates.

All ideas appreciated.

:)

Magnus.s, Oct 26, 2020

2. Transferring a large amount of data

Thank you for your input. This transfer of a large amount of data is a one-off for me and it is highly likely that I won't ever do it again. I certainly don't think that it is worth the outlay to convert to USB 3.0.

If I can just get confirmation as to the best way to carry out the transfer and, that my Seagate SSD is suitable to use as the home for my data to be used on a daily basis, then I will be happy.

Bluenose1940, Oct 26, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Oct 26, 2020
  4. Transfer of large amounts of data just stops, but disks continue to appear as data is being...

Transferring a large amount of data

The 200 GB of data/files/folders is currently on an internal Western Digital Hard Drive and the SSD is a 1TB Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drive connected to the pc by way of a USB cable (USB 2 I believe)

Is this SSD suitable for transferring the data to and, is it OK to be used on a regular daily basis for accessing said data.

Thank you folks for offering to help with this.

Bluenose1940, Oct 26, 2020
Thema:

Transfer of large amounts of data just stops, but disks continue to appear as data is being...

1. Transfer of large amounts of data just stops, but disks continue to appear as data is being... - Similar Threads - Transfer large amounts

2. Large amount of App Data Reported

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Large amount of App Data Reported: Hello. So I am on Windows 11 may or may not be important and I was checking my storage space. It reports I have 19.9 GB worth of installed apps. But when I check it personally, I see 67 apps whose amount of data should not amount to that much. So am I missing something here...
  3. Large amount of App Data Reported

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Large amount of App Data Reported: Hello. So I am on Windows 11 may or may not be important and I was checking my storage space. It reports I have 19.9 GB worth of installed apps. But when I check it personally, I see 67 apps whose amount of data should not amount to that much. So am I missing something here...
  4. data transfer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    data transfer: Hi,I have an old Dell computer with the current version of Windows 10 and I have a new Dell computer with Windows 11 installed on it. I need to transfer all my data, settings, desktop layout and user accounts from my old to my new what is the best way of doing it? I have an...
  5. Backing up moderate/large amounts of data?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backing up moderate/large amounts of data?: I saw a couple discussions about backing up larger amounts of data, but mostly they complained about how bad backing up to the Cloud was... I have a moderate amount of data - my desktop, NOT including the system is around 4 TB, 2.5 TB in one partition and growing. I'm...
  6. data transfer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    data transfer: is there a way for me to completely transfer all of my data from unactivated windows 10 pro to windows 10 home? submitted by /u/MysticalCult [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jg2qw8/data_transfer/
  7. Data transfer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Data transfer: I have a data transfer code and wish to import data from my previous laptop. Both have Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-transfer/f912b829-6ab0-44ce-8558-0e1f7d160d26"
  8. Transferring Data

Transferring Data: I have two internal drives on my computer, one has 2TB and one has 250GB. I would like to swap all data between them including the OS. What is the safest way to go about this?...
  9. Transferring a large amount of data

in Windows 10 Support
    Transferring a large amount of data: I need to transfer 200GB of data from an HDD to an SSD. I am using Windows 10 Professional. Can anyone advise me of the best and speediest way to do this please. Many thanks. 138112
  10. data transfer

data transfer: Hi. got a new computer and would like to transfer all data from old to new. Is it possible to do so via USB? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-transfer/9aee7d09-fd75-42eb-9f66-3f66fe4174a6"